Menu

Need elective ideas for 11yo that hates school!

mothergooseof4

After completely overhauling our hs after the holidays, I find that my oldest now has time for electives. The problem is that he is interested in NOTHING!

He has no desire to learn an instrument. He is not athletic. We have Atelier Art that my dd is doing, but neither of my boys want to try it. I do not want to start foreign language right now.

You can see what he is using for school in my siggy. I do add in school related reading. I do not want to start a writing program since we are focusing on accelerating PR and learning writing skills there. Other than these things, he likes to read on his own. He is involved in AWANA and Boy Scouts.

His only interest is electronics. He has loved cell phones and ipods since he was a baby. He keeps up with them, too. He just got a kindle and loves it. We have snap circuits, but they don't really interest him.

Our changes have freed up a lot of his independent school time which is great. But, I would like to add something independent that he would enjoy. I still don't what to go back to an all-day work load though. But, I am at a loss as to what it would be. I asked him and he stared at me like I had gone crazy and said, "Why would I WANT to do more school????" ARGH!

My only ideas are typing and then maybe some sort of computer science type stuff. I think I have some typing software, but does anyone know of computer science type stuff for this age???

Any ideas???? I know this is a hard one!!!

I started homeschoolling my ds in middle school, and he had no activities or interests. Make a firm rule of no tv or electronics during school time or you will never make headway on this.

I tortured my son by taking him to the library every week and making him checkout at least 3 books. It was a painful process, but eventually he decided he wanted to "draw better." We used Mark Kistler's Draw Squad. After that, he became interested in drawing Manga which I was not at all a fan of. Manga led to an interest in Japanese which is one of his majors along with International Relations - in Japan.

I know you're looking for something he will enjoy, but remember that often, 11 yos have no idea what they would or would not enjoy! There are often huge gaps between their idea of what something might be like and its reality...

If he doesn't want to play a sport, what is he doing for p.e.?

Photography, robotics, woodworking, leatherworking, model building (boats, cars, planes, etc.). Maybe you could challenge him to earn an extra badge at Scouts? How about cooking? Gardening? Astronomy?

Hope this helps!

Anne

This worked for us too! :iagree:

I started homeschoolling my ds in middle school, and he had no activities or interests. Make a firm rule of no tv or electronics during school time or you will never make headway on this.

I tortured my son by taking him to the library every week and making him checkout at least 3 books. It was a painful process, but eventually he decided he wanted to "draw better." We used Mark Kistler's Draw Squad. After that, he became interested in drawing Manga which I was not at all a fan of. Manga led to an interest in Japanese which is one of his majors along with International Relations - in Japan.

I don't allow electronics during school time except the kindle....reading only though, no internet or games. We also go to the library and have book basket daily with MFW. I have been pleasantly surprised at the books he chooses to read.

Logic would be fun for him, and is just a workbook so it's easy to add in. Mavis Bacon for touch typing is, IMO, something every child needs to be able to do if they can. What about model planes?

Logic may be perfect. Any recommendations? And, I am going to dig out our typing software. I have Mavis Beacon and another program that is for kids.

I know you're looking for something he will enjoy, but remember that often, 11 yos have no idea what they would or would not enjoy! There are often huge gaps between their idea of what something might be like and its reality...

If he doesn't want to play a sport, what is he doing for p.e.? He gets out and rides his bike a lot. And, I have some kid workout videos from Beach Body that he does at times.

Photography, robotics, woodworking, leatherworking, model building (boats, cars, planes, etc.). Maybe you could challenge him to earn an extra badge at Scouts? How about cooking? Gardening? Astronomy?

Hope this helps!

Anne

We actually just started Scouts and he hasn't even gotten his book yet. So, I may be able to schedule some of that for him to work on. Right now, I have no clue how much of his time Scouts is going to require.

What about getting old computers/phones/fax machines from the Goodwill and letting him take them apart?
With this kid, I have always thought this would be a good idea. But, we have given him old satellite boxes and dh's old PS3 and he is not interested. ARGH!

Here are a few computer science programs for homeschoolers.

What about Lego Mindstorms?

My ds11 loves making stop motion animation movies. Timberdoodle has a kit, or Klutz has an animation book, and you can download free software.

Will definitely check into the computer science programs. That should be right up his alley. Even if it doesn't seem fun now, this kid is techy and will need the skills.

Thanks for all of the responses. We switched around our curriculum after the Christmas break and PART of my goal was to free up some of his time. He was doing school FOREVER each day. With MFW, more is covered in our group time. So, once he completes both of his math curricula and two extra school related readings, he is walking around distracting the littles until I am ready to do PR with him. I don't want to bog him back down, but need something to keep him busy and it has to be independent. I am not looking for anything else outside of the house.

I may check into a few of these and not schedule them. I will just make them available and tell him that once his regular school work is done, he has to be doing something while I am still working with the littles. He can choose what each day, but has to stay busy and be able to show me that he has done something.