Menu

Calling all vegans!!

I've been a failure! I needa get back on my vegan diet full force because I'm feeling crummy.

Motivate me!

Your favorite recipes, success stories about your veganism, and just general reminders of why I really want to do this, because I REALLY want to do this!

I've been a failure! I needa get back on my vegan diet full force because I'm feeling crummy.

Motivate me!

Your favorite recipes, success stories about your veganism, and just general reminders of why I really want to do this, because I REALLY want to do this!

I've been a big cheater during my pregnancy :glare:

But I'm trying to get back into it too!! I miss the way I feel when I'm behaving...

I like going to http://www.theppk.com...makes me feel cool....lol

and I love all my cookbooks but I have a whole collection so I just pick recipes out of random ones that sound good for the week...

If you want inspiration, read The China Study. That has influenced me much more towards veganism lately. I have stopped most dairy and I am seeing how I go with no meat, and just fish sometimes if I am really craving "meat" in this transition phase.

I have just joined up to plantoeat.com and I am so glad someone linked to it here yesterday. It's a meal plan website where you can import recipes from over 100 websites- I have already meal planned many vegan recipes just by looking for "polenta" or "quinoa". For me the key is really getting organised to have the right ingredients in the house, and thinking/planning ahead. I have never been good at meal planning but I think that website will work for me.

and post it here, but that might be too much.

Really, I'm leaner than I've ever been.

My hubby is too. He had IBS-type symptoms and migraines and they've all disappeared when he stopped eating dairy/meat/bread/processed foods. He looks Daniel-Craig-Hot. :D

We eat LOTS of fruits and veggies. I will be making a slew of roasted veggies tonight to serve in wraps. Roasted brussels sprouts, carrots and red onions.

We do have fish once or twice a week. But were true vegans for the first 4 months of our new eating lifestyle.

Is that encouragement enough?

i eat vegan off & on. my favorite recipe is vegan ranch dressing...

ingredients:

1 cup vegan mayonnaise ( like vegenaise original)

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

2 teaspoons parsley, chopped (I used dry parsley)

1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or soy milk

directions:

whisk all ingredients together and chill before serving. Add a little more milk if you need to thin dressing. it's SO yummy!!

hth.

I guess I'd need to know why you do really want to do this?

We're vegan here for ethical reasons. I do think it has had health benefits for us, but that's not the motivator. Also, I've been vegan for about 14 years. So, it's not a constant battle anymore.

Maybe that's helpful? Knowing that you do get used to it? It gets easier, or at least has for me.

I don't have a lot of recipes to share, because we don't eat "weird, vegan food." We just eat food that doesn't have animal products in it.

Dinner last night was spaghetti with garlic bread. Tonight, I think it will be black bean burritos. One night, this week, my son gets to pick a meal. I think he's leaning toward either homemade (cheeseless) pizza or something Indian inspired. When I went shopping last night, my husband asked if I would pick up some soy "bacon" so he can make BLTs one evening.

As I said, it's a lifestyle thing for us, and one we've been following for a long time. So, we're past the stage of needing to go around thinking or worrying about it now.

As with anything hard (I'm still trying to get rid of another 6 pounds, for example), I've always felt the best motivator is to do things that remind me of my goals and reinforce the reasons for my decisions. When I first went veg, I spent a lot of time researching factory farming and reading vegetarian magazines. It got me over the bump of first starting out and gave me something to think about when I was trying to order lunch. I also learned about people I admired who were making the same choices.

Since I don't know what your motivation is, I can't help with specifics. But I'd just generally recommend spending some time thinking and learning about your decision to help remind you why you made it.

Good luck!

While I don't necessarily believe it is wrong for us to eat animals (I'm a Christian and do believe God gives us certain animals to eat), factory farming is a brutal practice, and one which I don't want to support.

At present, I buy meat for our household from my sister (they free-range cattle and are very much humane), and a couple of locals who free-range chicken. I don't buy other meats. We will have game when someone offers it, or if dh deer hunts.

I have an even more difficult time with dairy, because there is double the suffering due to the offspring of the dairy animals. There is, to me, almost no real humane way to get dairy because breeding for more animals is always involved in the milking process. When we had our dairy goats, we'd milk for as long as possible without rebreeding, but, at some point, you HAVE to breed the animal again.

Another reason is health. My family is rampant with heart disease, so I'd like to get ahead of the game there. I know veganism would do that for me also.

In short, I know all the reasons; I'm just slacking.

We are not vegans, but we all love my vegan taco filling. Made from veggies, not processed soy product... My husband (who loves to eat meat) loves these because they don't fill him up as fast as meat, and he loves tacos. So he will stuff himself and eat 6-8!

Vegan Taco Filling

Shred 8 squash. I use 4 yellow and 4 zuch. Not the baby ones and not the monster huge ones either. Cook them down over med-low heat. You can cover at first so they don't stick to the bottom of the pan. When they release all their liquid, add 2 taco seasoning packets or your own spices. Continue to cook and stir occasionally (uncovered) until the liquid cooks out to whatever degree you desire. Make your tacos however you want. Yummy!!

My mom would add potatoes, squash, or carrots, to her taco filling when we were growing up, because she couldn't afford to feed 6 kids with all meat. Some shredded, steamed potatoes do work very well, but I don't recommend carrots, as they are too sweet. I choose to do all squash because it gets in those greens.

Edited by Flux

I started making this lately and the family enjoys it. The recipe is quite flexible. I put water in a large soup pot and add a heaping serving spoon of miso. The water/miso combination is put on the stove to boil and I add sliced mushrooms(6 more or less), scallions(3 at least), and a half tub of med or firm tofu drained and cut into cubes. I also mince up a couple large cloves of garlic and about an inch of ginger. After everything is simmering, I add a bunch of organic kale torn into little pieces(stems composted), and then a half bag of chinese noodles. For us this works as a vegan version of chicken soup. It's nourishing and helps when we aren't feeling well.

Tahini - I love everything with tahini. My fav meal is stirfry with lemon tahini dressing on top. Yum!!

Roasted garbanzo beans (actually you can use it with any beans. Great with black eyed peas.) Coat baking sheet with a little oil or spray. Toss drained beans with a little oil and seasonings (italian, asian, or just some garlic salt and cumin). Spread on pan and bake 425 til the beans are toasted, about 40 min. Great for just snacking or you can put it on top of salads or rice dishes.

Almond milk smoothies - make your own as you like.

Fake meat - mash cooked lentils and season and cook them up like ground beef. Use anywhere you'd use beef. I love it for chili or nachos.

All the fake meats that would make up something like taco filling. I just don't have great vibes about eating stuff that is so processed.

Ahh! Yes, now I get it and I agree. It might be made with soybeans (or corn or whatever) but it's not the same as eating soybeans! All those other ingredients makes for quite a long list. I do buy the quorn brand "chick" nuggets for my son, but I really try not to buy too much of that stuff.