Menu

World History Co-op Class

I am considering teaching a year-long history class next year at my homeschool co-op. The idea would be to teach logic stage and grammar stage concurrently in two separate classes, so I can teach all of my kids and also so I can study the same events each week but teach them on different levels. Grammar stage would be easy--I have SOTW 1 TM and AG. I'm wondering what to add in for the logic stage class though? Any ideas?

Basically I was thinking about using SOTW (yes, starting with ancients) for the spine (since most of our families aren't classically educating, I think taking it easy might be wise) and then beefing up the class content with timelines, writing assignments, primary sources, etc. My daughter will be starting 5th grade, so I'm trying to plan for her ability level. I'm just not sure which things to do in class and which things to recommend for home.

Oh, I didn't understand what you were asking :) I have a TOG co-op. In class our middle school/dialectic students have weekly discussions, takes notes in class, keep a timeline book, often do a craft (not every week) and share writing assignments we give them from time to time. At home they read, prepare to answer weekly questions, and write. In addition to SOTW you could assign another spine (kingfisher, etc.) and have them outline as described in The Well-Trained Mind. Have you read the logic stage history and geography chapter in TWTM? I think you'll find some good suggestions in there.

Yes, I read it. I'm just trying to figure out how to adapt it for classroom use. My sense is we'll do SOTW with outlining, timeline, map work, discussion, and I'll assign weekly reading and homework based on what we've covered in class. That should be enough to fill an hour a week, I think?