Menu

Starting over at 50

I have a dear friend who will soon be getting a divorce. Her last child will leave home this fall and she feels it is time for her to move on as well. There isn't any question about changing her mind, so please don't address that. What she would like to know is if there are any good books or programs that you can recommend to help her with this transition. She hasn't worked in 20 years and didn't have much experience prior to having a family. There will be a small settlement but she will need to work. I have little wisdom to offer her but promised I would ask here.

When the Heart Waits by Sue Monk Kidd

http://www.amazon.com/When-Heart-Waits-Spiritual-Direction/dp/0061144894/ref=pd_sim_b_2

B

lending her own experiences with an intimate grasp of spirituality, Sue Monk Kidd relates the passionate and moving tale of her spiritual crisis, when life seemed to have lost meaning and her longing for a hasty escape from the pain yielded to a discipline of "active waiting."

Kidd is Christian, but some would say she's not. Meaning, she's a liberalish Christian, so there will be a faith undertone in the book.

Another book that is fiction that deals well with those kinds of changes is The Mermaid Chair, by Kidd, also.

I work with a few women in her position. One is now 70 and STILL working, swollen legs and all, because she can't afford to retire. I have no advice but that it is TOUGH out there, and that she should look at what is in demand and if she can train for it. I know there is a growing need for people to man sleep study places. It is night work, and there is some training needed, but up by me, there is always a demand.

What is she good at? How are her computer skills? Personally, I'd streamline my life entirely for simplicity and economy, get a job, any job to get refs from, and then train in a field in demand.

I would suggest looking into adult education programs in her area. Computer training (Word, Excel, and Power Point) would be a good start. She could take this at a community college, or look for classes at the high school or college for adults, those are less time (usually a month) and much more affordable. Then maybe she can get good leads from those in the class.

Lacy, thank you for your kind thoughts. She does have many gifts; she is just a little unsure of herself these days, I think.

Justamouse, thank you for the book recommendation. While she needs practical information, I think inspiring works would also be helpful.

I work with a few women in her position. One is now 70 and STILL working, swollen legs and all, because she can't afford to retire. I have no advice but that it is TOUGH out there, and that she should look at what is in demand and if she can train for it. I know there is a growing need for people to man sleep study places. It is night work, and there is some training needed, but up by me, there is always a demand.

What is she good at? How are her computer skills? Personally, I'd streamline my life entirely for simplicity and economy, get a job, any job to get refs from, and then train in a field in demand.

Kalanmak, I will pass the idea about the sleep studies on to my friend as well as the rest of your practical advice. She was very worried about references, so your advice makes sense. She also doesn't seem to be bothered by the type of job; she just does what needs to be done. There is not a lot of attitude there. She has been working on her computer skills, but in a general way. I would agree that it isn't going to be easy.

I am 51 and recently divorced and sort of starting over. I would recommend some career counseling and assessment at a local community college, as well as some regular counseling. It can be tough to go forward if things from the past are hanging on. And Prayer. I recommend much prayer. I would never get through this without a strong knowledge that God is with me and that He will guide me and provide for me.