Menu

I need a good can opener that will last more than a month.

Electric or manual? I like the Swing-a-way brand of manual. Inexpensive, works well and lasts forever. We've had ours for several years.

Friends (both ex-Navy) swear by the P-38 can opener that I think you can get from military surplus. It's about 2-3 inches long and goes on a keychain.

Weird. I've had my manual can-opener since I got married 16 years ago. Remind me never to lose it because obviously the new ones are junk.

Yes, they are junk...along with the ice-cream scoopers that have the little blade that pushes the ice-cream out. Of coarse its probably my fault for buying these items at Wal-mart!

Going to ditto the Swing-A-Way. It has a nice weight and opens cans easily. It's the kind my mom had while I was growing up, and mine is going on 11 years old.

However...

Mine is made in the USA. Looking at the reviews on Amazon, it looks like they're now made in China, and that they just aren't the same and don't work very well. People have suggested looking in thrift shops for the old ones that are stamped "Made in USA." Apparently some of the old ones are also stamped that they are made in St. Louis, MO, and those are good too.

another happy pampered chef can opener owner. Definitely worth the price.

(pathetically, I will admit I had a learning curve to get through on the different way to handle it, but that was years ago.)

:iagree: I love my Pampered Chef one, especially how it leaves the edges so that they don't cut. But, I did have a small learning curve. Funny story from many years ago, my older son's aide that came to our house to work with him, tried to open a can of fruit for him. She ended up with 6 cans on the counter that she had attempted. She didn't know that you had to grasp the lid edge with the grip on the side of the Pampered Chef opener. So, she thought she had failed in opening them, and kept trying a new can. We had a lot of fruit to hurry up and eat. She was so embarrassed when I started gripping the edges and showing her that the cans were indeed opened. :lol:

For Manual with no sharp edge... we have OXOs ;) It's lasted for ..... a lonnnnnnng time:) When I worked at a nice Dept store... our store had to order more... because I sold so many :) Think like a Macy's store... or Amazon has them too :)

Edited by NayfiesMama
There are different kinds.. not sure if all of them have the "no sharp edge" feature... that's important to us :)

My Swing-A-Way is 14 years old. I've never tried anything else to compare but this one works great.

:iagree:I never though can openers WEREN'T supposed to last forever. If mine is 14 years old, I have no idea how old my mom's is.

I also have a Pampered Chef style can opener made by Zyliss, which is about 4 years old, and still works great!

I love this one:

http://www.amazon.com/WMF-Profi-Stainless-Steel-Opener/dp/B00005O65T/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1296585603&sr=8-1

Amazon.com Review

This can opener is just one of the high-quality Profi Plus tools WMF makes for every conceivable kitchen task. Capable of slitting the tops off cans, prying the lids off jars, and popping the tops off bottles, the opener is heavy, sturdy, and comfortable in the hand. It's contemporary European in style, measures 9 inches long and has a heavy-duty hanging loop on the end of each handle. The opener is made of satin-finish, 18/10 stainless steel, with a cylindrical handle and tough plastic turning knob that fits the fingers for maximum leverage and ease of use. Seamless construction ensures cleaning ease. This tool is dishwasher-safe, durable, and a joy to use for serious cooks and novices alike. --Fred Brack