Menu

could this really be a yeast infection?

I'm hoping someone here can give some input!

I know a teenage girl who has been suffering from a yeast infection for multiple months now. She's been on several medications and the infection just isn't going away. I'm sure they're all nystatin type infections. But why wouldn't medication take it away?

She's a vegetarian and I know vegetarians are more prone to candida. Still, the prescription medications aren't taking the infection away. It's being cultured but in the meantime, tonight she got such sudden severe pain that her mother had to get her from college to bring her home. She's going to go to the hospital tonight or tomorrow. The pain is so severe she can't tolerate it.

BTW, she is not sexually active and never has been.

What on earth could this be that doesn't respond to medication? I believe she's been on various prescriptions for four months now and the infection hasn't gone away.

I know no further details than what I'm posting here.

Can anyone give input?

Did she get prescriptions without it being cultured? Did the doctors "see" the infection or just go by her symptoms?

If they didn't test thoroughly before, it could be a bacterial infection or it could be some entirely unrelated type of pelvic pain. If that's the case, some of the medications she took could be making it worse.

I had a yeast infection that was resistant to both OTC antifungal medication and diflucan (didn't try nystatin). Neither worked, so yes, yeast infections can resist medication. Large doses of probiotics cleared it up.

I had the same experience. What I found out though is that Diflucan works by stopping the growth of the yeast as opposed to eliminating the yeast. So I could be on Diflucan for years and there was no way things were going to get better unless I made some changes. I was on diflucan for months and it wasn't until I started taking large doses of probiotics that things started getting better. It has taken a number of years to get my system completely balanced but now I can take a normal dose of probiotics (it is stronger than most you can buy) and sometimes that is too much.

Did she get prescriptions without it being cultured? Did the doctors "see" the infection or just go by her symptoms?

If they didn't test thoroughly before, it could be a bacterial infection or it could be some entirely unrelated type of pelvic pain. If that's the case, some of the medications she took could be making it worse.

If I remember right, they only thought to culture recently. I believe she's been on 7 medications (don't know which) and none have gotten rid of the infection.

I didn't realize it could be bacteria. I hope the hospital does further testing and gets to the bottom of it. Maybe the medications HAVE made it worse.

I also find it odd in a kid, late teens,

I had the same experience. What I found out though is that Diflucan works by stopping the growth of the yeast as opposed to eliminating the yeast. So I could be on Diflucan for years and there was no way things were going to get better unless I made some changes. I was on diflucan for months and it wasn't until I started taking large doses of probiotics that things started getting better. It has taken a number of years to get my system completely balanced but now I can take a normal dose of probiotics (it is stronger than most you can buy) and sometimes that is too much.

This happened to me too. It was horrible and was ongoing for years. What finally helped was a total Atkins diet (extremely lo- carb) & Caprylic Acid supplements. I tried loads of probiotics, BUT when overused or really high doses it can mimic yeast infections.

Faithe

Yes, absolutely. A severe yeast infection can be very, very difficult to kill. I had one last summer and was on a really potent mix of Diflucan and various topical creams for more than a month. I had a resurgence in September.

There are many who recommend the Candida diet to starve the yeast. My own experience with such a painful systemic infection shows that the diet is a necessary part of treatment.

Here's a link:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/

And here's a thread that might be helpful:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1928178&highlight=candida#post1928178

I am also willing to answer any questions this girl or her mom may have. Please pm me if that would be helpful.

This happened to me too. It was horrible and was ongoing for years. What finally helped was a total Atkins diet (extremely lo- carb) & Caprylic Acid supplements. I tried loads of probiotics, BUT when overused or really high doses it can mimic yeast infections.

Faithe

she is a vegetarian. I've told her about the Candida diet but because she's a vegetarian, it really wouldn't work.

Yes, absolutely. A severe yeast infection can be very, very difficult to kill. I had one last summer and was on a really potent mix of Diflucan and various topical creams for more than a month. I had a resurgence in September.

There are many who recommend the Candida diet to starve the yeast. My own experience with such a painful systemic infection shows that the diet is a necessary part of treatment.

Here's a link:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/

And here's a thread that might be helpful:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1928178&highlight=candida#post1928178

I am also willing to answer any questions this girl or her mom may have. Please pm me if that would be helpful.

thanks so much for your offer to help! I have done the candida diet once before and am doing it now. I've told her how she can starve the yeast but being in college, she's limited to dorm food. She's even MORE limited because she's a vegetarian. She knows sugar and carbs are bad for her but that's all she eats, and I'm afraid her infection won't go away until she stops eating like that!

I hope her mother brought her to the hospital today. I don't understand the sudden onset of severe, burning pain, but I'm not really surprised.

Oh, I had the most horrible one after my ten month old was born. It wouldn't go away with two or three of the otc meds/inserts. So I went on Diflucan and it took several doses of that along with probiotics.

I was MISERABLE.

And as a side note, you can get them as a teen that's not sexually active. I did. I had endometriosis and I frequently got both yeast infections and bladder infections.

Ok, this sounds totally weird, but if she's not vegan, or if she's willing to try it... yogurt... seriously!! Douche it.... more than once a day. I've seen it work on little kids for the yeast infections while they're in diapers... and also I know it's worked for my mom's friend. She said that literally.. it wasn't a day before she was feeling better... and the lady had been having problems for a while... A thought at least...

Also, the pH of her skin care products may be encouraging the yeast and leading to more inflammation. I have to be very careful with the soap that I wash with (Dove worked for me, though many, many other high-quality soaps did not) and when I was in utter misery, I rinsed things down with a tablespoon of cider vinegar mixed in 8 ounces of water in a peri-bottle (not a douche.) Female anatomy should be kept slightly acidic, but all of our soaps and body washes and every-other-****-thing are basic, and can encourage the growth of yeast.

Ok, this sounds totally weird, but if she's not vegan, or if she's willing to try it... yogurt... seriously!! Douche it.... more than once a day. I've seen it work on little kids for the yeast infections while they're in diapers... and also I know it's worked for my mom's friend. She said that literally.. it wasn't a day before she was feeling better... and the lady had been having problems for a while... A thought at least...

Yes, this!! Make certain that the yogurt is unflavored. Because any sugar in that area will make those nasty yeasties say YIPPEE!

I do not always eat well, and I had a problem with recurring yeast infections. I take acidipholis periodically, and if I feel yeast coming on, I take extra. It happens a lot less often, now that I take acidipholis. If yeast does get hold, though, the extra acidipholis, plus yogurt directly applied, clears it up. I was tired of getting diflucan from the Dr, and I can't stand OTC creams. They are horrible and make all the symptoms much, much worse! To the point of having trouble sleeping.