Menu

Beef Up Math, Add Another Type, Go Up A Level, or Stay Put?

Outdoorsy Type

8yo is doing Teaching Textbooks 3. He's to lesson 70 and is getting 90% or greater. Most of the time he gets 100%. He takes less than 20 minutes to finish it up, so I have added some extra multiplication sheets.

I talked to a friend and she got me thinking about boosting him up to TT4. Looking at the Placement Test I know he could do it. So I'm considering switching him, but not sure if it's wise in the middle of the year.

The other thing is will I take the fun out of math if I make it too challenging?

He always seems to get through his independent work so quickly and I almost don't know what to do with him while I'm working with his (slow poke) 7yo brother.

The other thing is will I take the fun out of math if I make it too challenging?

My first grader enjoys math so much more when it's a little bit challenging. If you make it TOO challenging (ie, he's just not ready for that level of work), of course that would take the fun out of it. But if you're bumping him to his correct level, it shouldn't be TOO challenging. :) Being in a program/level that's too easy can take the fun out of math.

I know some here have said that TT tends to be a grade level behind other curriculum, so maybe TT4 would be an appropriate level anyway (I'm assuming he's 3rd grade)? If they have a placement test, by all means, have him take it and put him in whatever level he should be in. It's ok to start a new level in the middle of the year. We're just finishing up a grade level this week and will start the new one in a couple weeks. We're homeschooling - it doesn't matter when our math curriculum starts or ends. ;)