Menu

VA Disability Questions

Dh will be retiring in a few months, so today we had an appointment with a VA Benefits Representative. She was telling us that 50% disability was the "goal" because that is when disability payments start.

So, at home we go online to check the benefits chart...and they show (what looks to me like payment rates) at 30-40% as well. Now we are confused.

Anyone here with a VA disability rating want to explain the ins and outs...and talk very slowly :lol:

Could she have been talking about other, non-payment benefits? DH is trying to get his disability increased, and he's discussed that at some point, he becomes eligible for basic medical coverage for dependents and some other non-cash benefits.

Payments start at 10%, and payments with adjustments for dependents at 30%.

My hubby is a disabled vet. I think he has a 20% or 30 % rating and he gets a check every month. It is somehow dependent on how many children are left at home though because as the last two left home the payments went down, even though they are in college. :glare: He got a lump sum payment when he got out (equivilent to ten years, I think) and then after that amount of time elapsed, he start receiving his monthly benefit. He gets yearly COL adjustments as well.

My dh excepted 0% disablility. Yup, you read that right. It's considered a disablitity and as CA residents it entitles our children to attend CA state schools with reduced tituition. It's something. No payment.

In Indiana, too, 0% equals free college tuition to all state schools for the child of the disabled vet.

We are hoping for a 0% (for the college benefit in CA)...but the lady seems to think he will get more. Dh and I were under the impression that with a disability of >50% part of your income was tax free. So, today when the lady mentioned payouts at 50% we did not think much about it...but then when we looked online it shows numbers for 30-40% as well, we were confused.

To the ladies here in CA...do *all the kids get the reduced college tuition, or do you have to divide it up? We have heard both...

Thanks!!!

Here's my understanding of it (could be wrong in the 2nd part). This is from a normal, 20 year retirement, not a physical disability retirement.

1. My hubby has 30% disability. Every month he gets his usual retirement amount, but 30% is sent from the VA and is not taxed. The other 70% is paid by the Air Force and is taxed. They are deposited into our account separately.

2. I think, if you're at or above 50%, you get your regular retirement pay, plus extra pay for the disability.

Hope that helps.

Here's my understanding of it (could be wrong in the 2nd part). This is from a normal, 20 year retirement, not a physical disability retirement.

1. My hubby has 30% disability. Every month he gets his usual retirement amount, but 30% is sent from the VA and is not taxed. The other 70% is paid by the Air Force and is taxed. They are deposited into our account separately.

2. I think, if you're at or above 50%, you get your regular retirement pay, plus extra pay for the disability.

Hope that helps.

That makes sense. My DH was discharged because of his disability, so that wouldn't have applied to him.

If your husband is retiring and he receives a 50% or higher rating from the VA, he will qualify for concurrent receipt. Basically this means his retirement pay won't be offset by what he receives from the VA.

I was medically retired after 8 years in the Army. I have 80% disability from the Army and from the VA. My Army retirement is offset by what I receive from the VA b/c I don't qualify for concurrent receipt. You must have at least 20 years to qualify for concurrent receipt and I'm assuming your husband has that if he is retiring.

Here's an example:

E-6 retirement after 20 years: 50% of base pay = $1766.50

VA disability rating of 50%: $845 (This is with a veteran and spouse only. You will receive slightly more for your children, depending on how many you have. So you would be able to keep both of these amounts.

$1766.50 + $845 = $2611.50 (Plus the money from the VA is non-taxable.)

These are just rough calculations as the military uses their own formulas to figure out exact amounts. However, if you don't receive at least a 50% rating from the VA, then your retirement check would be offset by what the VA pays. So you would receive what the VA pays as non-taxable, but you would only receive the total of your retirement check and no extra.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions. The VA system is a pain to navigate. Good luck!

Hope that helps.

If your husband is retiring and he receives a 50% or higher rating from the VA, he will qualify for concurrent receipt. Basically this means his retirement pay won't be offset by what he receives from the VA.

I was medically retired after 8 years in the Army. I have 80% disability from the Army and from the VA. My Army retirement is offset by what I receive from the VA b/c I don't qualify for concurrent receipt. You must have at least 20 years to qualify for concurrent receipt and I'm assuming your husband has that if he is retiring.

Here's an example:

VA disability rating of 50%: $845 (This is with a veteran and spouse only. You will receive slightly more for your children, depending on how many you have. So you would be able to keep both of these amounts.

These are just rough calculations as the military uses their own formulas to figure out exact amounts. However, if you don't receive at least a 50% rating from the VA, then your retirement check would be offset by what the VA pays. So you would receive what the VA pays as non-taxable, but you would only receive the total of your retirement check and no extra.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions. The VA system is a pain to navigate. Good luck!

Ok...Now THIS makes sense! Thank you both!!!

Here's an example:

Yes. This. My DH was retired at 13 yrs with 80% disability. His VA check is tax-free. He does not receive any retirement money from the Army since he was forced to retire prior to 20 yrs of service. We did see an increase of $50/mo after each of our kids were born.

Dh will be retiring in a few months, so today we had an appointment with a VA Benefits Representative. She was telling us that 50% disability was the "goal" because that is when disability payments start.

So, at home we go online to check the benefits chart...and they show (what looks to me like payment rates) at 30-40% as well. Now we are confused.

Anyone here with a VA disability rating want to explain the ins and outs...and talk very slowly :lol:

If you are trying to get an increase it's very helpful to have a veteran's service organization to represent you. There is no charge for this. Dh had the Paralyzed Veterans of America. His case went all the way to Washington and they represented him well. It was a long time before we felt that justice had prevailed but it did prevail! Hang in there if it takes time.

Edited by BeckyFL

My dh left the military after 13 years voluntarily. It was not early retirement. When he was doing the processing to leave, he was awarded a 10% disability from a doctor in the VA. We have recieved a small check monthly ever since and it has occassionally increased for inflation and such. We were actually surprised that he recieved any rating but appreciate the check.

My dh found an advocate through the American Legion who was tremendously helpful in navigating the VA disability system. I wouldn't try to do it on your own because there is a lot of room for human error, and having an advocate to make sure things are done correctly is SUCH a help. It's free, too.

It's a weird system, and frustrating at times (not processing paperwork for over a year, losing or erasing documentation and then telling us they don't have any birth certificates, overpaying for months despite being told repeatedly, and then suddenly demanding all of the overpaid $$ to be mailed back to them immediately). DH has 60% disability, and it has paid for him to go to graduate school for a new career. The kids don't get free in-state college tuition or medical care unless he gets 100% though. I suppose it varies by state?

My dh excepted 0% disablility. Yup, you read that right. It's considered a disablitity and as CA residents it entitles our children to attend CA state schools with reduced tituition. It's something. No payment.

I hope this is still the case when my kids are ready for college. DH will most likely retire with some disability, and we were wondering if the CA college thing was still good.