Menu

Need Ideas for DS (13)....

mcilvoy6

We have been homeschooling for 2 years and I just can't figure out what to use with him to instill a love of learning. We have tried so many different things with him. Honestly, I don't know what to do at this point. I'm not sure if he has a LD ..he was just tested for Dsylexia and we are waiting to hear back. I know he loves anything hands on. ( Science is his favorite) His biggest struggle is reading, writing and comprehension. I have spent this semester reading our History aloud , and even though the lessons are short..he can't answer any of the questions . We are planning to go back through 8th grade again...I'm thinking maybe Unit Studies or ? Any suggestions you have would be helpful and much appreciated. I'm honestly at the point of...should I send him back to PS....I just know we're not making headway at home..and I have no idea what to try next! Thanks

What sort of curriculum or approaches you have tried with him so far?

How is his attitude/disposition outside of school?

One thing I would recommend is going to the special needs board and pick the brains of the ladies there. They could point you in the right direction as far as evaluations that might be helpful. I know that OhElizabeth has given advice on this and there are others too.

:grouphug:

Have you looked at TRISMS? Check out History Makers, their middle school product. It's basically unit studies in a research format. You get a questionaire to guide you for each unit, but you can use whatever texts work for your child's level (you can also use websites, films, etc). There's definitely a lot of room for rabbit trails, so if something sparks his interest, he can do hands-on stuff to go with it. There's a lot of science-y stuff in there, too - I think it's particularly "boy" leaning.

This is not very WTMish but maybe he just needs a completely different approach. I am re-evaluating what we are doing as well. Maybe there are many questions to ask yourself; not simply if he is or is not behind. Questions like: What is education? What is our goal for education? Life? How can we get there? Is there a different way? What does he like to do? How can that be used for HIS education?

I am pondering all these questions myself. And I am trying to let go and see what interests my boys. I'd like for them to love learning. However, for that to happen I think learning needs to blend with life. They seem to think learning happens during school only. This week we have been very relaxed. We talked about learning, what it means, what they like. I learned things about my older son that I knew but somehow had forgotten. He loves pottery and sculpting, anything having to do with water, woodworking, games, listening to stories.

Who says science is more important than pottery? That's what I am pondering.

I know I am not much help; just some food for thought.

Susie