Menu

Lively Latin-What Age?

sue

Bumping up for you, as I'm curious too. :bigear:

I will probably be purchasing it within the next month, with the hopes of using it next year. (I like to plan ahead.) Almost bought it today in fact, but I went wild at Staples with their binders this morning.

I did find this from Cathy Duffy:

The publisher describes Lively Latin as a program for the elementary grades, with a target audience of grades 3 through 6. However, the content is more substantial than some other programs for this level. BigBook 1 covers first and second declension nouns and adjectives. For nouns, students learn their cases and genders, but they learn the use of only nominative and ablative cases. They also learn first conjugation verbs (present, imperfect, and future tenses). BigBook 2 adds the next three declensions of nouns and teaches the use of all the cases. The second, third, and fourth verb conjugations are covered along with six tenses. The combined content of both volumes is approximately equal to that of a first year high school Latin course! You might use this course with students beyond sixth grade level who need the slower pace of learning.

At what age(s) would you use Lively Latin?

I start it in 5th grade, and just hand it to the kiddos and have them do one page a day, independently. I think a 3rd grader who is strong in grammar could do one page a day. It would take 2-3 years to get through just the first text that way, but that is fine. It allows them a lot of time to memorize and own both the concepts and vocabulary.

IMO the first book covers about half what is in most middle school programs. The second book seems to move a lot faster. First Form Latin 1 and Latin Alive 1 are considered Middle School, and both cover more than BB1.

Heather

We use it in 3rd grade. Indy is 8 and NOT a strong reader (he's dyslexic), but he loves LL. He really enjoys the video lessons and I help him read the exercise pages. We just started lesson 2 today. I think lesson 1 took us about 3 weeks to complete. We did the vocab and chants every day and he knows the vocab for lesson 1 really well.

We switched over to LL at the beginning of Jan because he wasn't getting as much out of Minimus as I had hoped. I think that's mostly my fault though as I didn't know enough Latin to really teach it that well. LL though is easy to teach and easy to understand. We don't do the history part of it though as we are studying the middle ages right now.

We use it in 3rd grade. Indy is 8 and NOT a strong reader (he's dyslexic), but he loves LL. He really enjoys the video lessons and I help him read the exercise pages. We just started lesson 2 today. I think lesson 1 took us about 3 weeks to complete. We did the vocab and chants every day and he knows the vocab for lesson 1 really well.

We switched over to LL at the beginning of Jan because he wasn't getting as much out of Minimus as I had hoped. I think that's mostly my fault though as I didn't know enough Latin to really teach it that well. LL though is easy to teach and easy to understand. We don't do the history part of it though as we are studying the middle ages right now.

Off topic, Minimus is really easy after finishing Lively Latin 1, and you don't need the expensive TM. They already know it. :D

Personally Minimus is not written to the way I think. Even knowing the Latin I felt like I was guessing at half of what to be taught (even with the TM). I was glad my dd already knew it, so she didn't need me to teach anything. She had fun with both levels of Minimus, then complained when she had to go back to hard stuff and actually learn something new. Kids!

Heather