Menu

I solved my son's Saxon Algebra problem.

Guest Dulcimeramy

Guest Dulcimeramy

I do think I figured out the problem. Here's the story:

He was getting so bogged down! We bought the Art Reed DVDs, I diligently checked his work every day, but he was *hating* algebra and making "silly" mistakes.

I decided that it was grade 5 grammar all over again, meaning that I would have to take responsibility for preparing and teaching each lesson myself.

(I also hate algebra.)

I've been doing the teaching for two weeks and I believe I've found the problem: Saxon is too wordy! Too much information at every turn. Every lesson assumes that the kid couldn't remember a principle from the past and apply it to the current lesson. DS couldn't separate between new and old info and he was getting confused.

For the first week, I watched the DVD, studied the lesson, and did all the problems myself. Then I taught ds the next day. I realized how quickly the lesson went when I taught it in the brief, factual style that he prefers.

For the second week, I taught ds how I was cutting through the extra verbiage in the book to find the new skills.

By the end of the week he was able to do the same thing! Now he does lessons like this:

1. Read the lesson.

2. Draw a line through everything you already know that is not new in any way.

3. Re-read lesson, ignoring the marked information.

4. Write the new information in your notebook.

5. Watch Mr. Reed's lesson

6. Do all problems.

Success.

Can you recommend a quicker, less wordy algebra program for him, or do you think we should press on with this method since it is working?

(I'm doing all the lessons whether he needs me to help him or not, because I do think Saxon will be a good fit for #2 son.)

Edited by Dulcimeramy
d

Maybe it's not just the fact that he's only being accountable for new material, but the actual act of going through the lesson and sorting out what he knows from what is new that is helping him. In other words, the act of lining out the review is allowing him to form connections with the new material (and maybe solidify his understanding of the old).

If that is working for you, then why not stick with it. Sounds like a great solution.

Maybe it's not just the fact that he's only being accountable for new material, but the actual act of going through the lesson and sorting out what he knows from what is new that is helping him. In other words, the act of lining out the review is allowing him to form connections with the new material (and maybe solidify his understanding of the old).

If that is working for you, then why not stick with it. Sounds like a great solution.

:iagree:

Don't change something that is finally working and the ability to sort through information to find what you need is an important skill.

Guest Dulcimeramy

:iagree:

Don't change something that is finally working and the ability to sort through information to find what you need is an important skill.

Thank you both! I had not considered that he is actually learning textbook skills that may come in handy later. We will press on.

Learning how to read math books is an important skill.

I like how Saxon Algebra 1 covers a lot more than just algebra. And as a student moves farther along in math, alternative affordable mom friendly math curriculums become less available.

I suggest sticking with it.

If you want less wordy two texts come to mind. First is the Lial books. They get to the point very quickly, though there is review in them. The other is Jacobs Algebra. People call him wordy because he talks about things that aren't exactly related to cranking out the problems. But the teaching is in the problem sets, meaning that the kid does the carefully ordered problems and learns by doing, not reading.