Menu

Icicle, anyone?

Just thought I'd share this picture of my husband, which I took yesterday. Ray is standing on the roof of our front porch, attempting to clear the ice and snow from our porch roofs and icicles from our 120 year old eaves prior to this next round of snow and ice.

Ray estimated this ice chunk weighed about 120 lbs, and as you can see, it was only part of a much larger formation.

UGH. Is it spring yet?

Astrid

post-3801-13535084434272_thumb.jpg

post-3801-13535084434272_thumb.jpg

Just thought I'd share this picture of my husband, which I took yesterday. Ray is standing on the roof of our front porch, attempting to clear the ice and snow from our porch roofs and icicles from our 120 year old eaves prior to this next round of snow and ice.

Ray estimated this ice chunk weighed about 120 lbs, and as you can see, it was only part of a much larger formation.

UGH. Is it spring yet?

Astrid

Wow! That is incredible!

Cool photo!

But I hear ya on the spring bit. I'm ready for it, too. We have some monster icicles dripping right now, but we have over a foot of snow headed our way...it is going to be a long week.

My kids are out in the snow right now, they are actually ON the snow. It is hard and crunchy on top, and they are walking over the yard looking for "gold". My son saw the snow sparkling earlier today and thought there might be something valuable out there. :lol: Too cute. When he is on the ground the snow comes up to his shoulders (he's about 51" tall). In other words, we have TOO MUCH SNOW!! ;)

Just a few more MONTHS of this, I guess....:nopity:

And what you don't see in the picture is that underneath all the snow Ray is standing on is about 8" of solid ice that he couldn't get off. It's just too solid. He was up there with a sledge hammer, and he's no weakling-- defensive tackle in high school AND college! But short of using a flamethrower, that ice was staying put.

The house is very old but very solid. Today's construction is all pine, whereas our porch is oak beams. So hopefully it will hold, but there's over a foot of snow and then ice/freezing rain/rain coming Tuesday and Wednesday. UGH.

astrid

UGH. Is it spring yet?

Astrid

And what you don't see in the picture is that underneath all the snow Ray is standing on is about 8" of solid ice that he couldn't get off. It's just too solid. He was up there with a sledge hammer, and he's no weakling-- defensive tackle in high school AND college! But short of using a flamethrower, that ice was staying put.

The house is very old but very solid. Today's construction is all pine, whereas our porch is oak beams. So hopefully it will hold, but there's over a foot of snow and then ice/freezing rain/rain coming Tuesday and Wednesday. UGH.

astrid

:eek: :svengo: Unreal! I can't even imagine that! That's crazy. My dh was considering moving to CT too because his sister lives there. I think something like that would kill me with my warm tropical blood. :eek: Hope the ground hog doesn't see his shadow for your sake Astrid. :grouphug:

astrid

My daughter's friend from CT called today and told my daughter that they had SIX leaks in their roof. They could not run the lights in the kitchen or bathroom because of water in the fixtures. :svengo:

I'm thinking they need to do something drastic before tomorrow and Wednesday -- or they may not have a roof.

Well, this is a really, really unsual winter, even for CT.

We've broken all sorts of records for snowfall, and have had unusually cold weather.

That said, I love the four seasons and can't really imagine living anywhere else.

astrid (but a visit to someplace GREEN would be lovely right now!)

Beg him to be extremely careful. I knew a man who was clearing icicles off a church roof, and one fell on him. It crushed his shoulder and his lower leg. He had to have his leg amputated somewhere below the knee. He was recovering nicely, but then had a heart attack because of a blood clot and passed away. That was 10 years ago this month.

EEEK! What a tragic story! That's exactly what I was worried about, and why I was in the driveway with one hand on the cell phone. See the roof above his head? That's a HUGE ice dam. There's a considerable overhang that he was able to stand under while working most of the time, so that made me feel a bit better.

Unfortunately, the weather here has been so severe that homeowners have little choice but to get on their roofs and do this themselves. The number of roof collapses around here has been awful, including one barn in which several horses were killed when the roof caved in. With another 15" of snow predicted, followed by freezing rain and rain, there is a very real danger that it'll get worse.

Thankfully, Ray got it all done and made it down safely. Whew.

astrid