Menu

Quick question about read alouds...

kristinannie

My kids are very fidgety since they are still so young. Do you let your kids do anything while you are doing read alouds to keep their hands busy? When DS is playing quietly with something, he is actually still listening (as evidenced by his ability to narrate). What do you let your kids do while reading aloud? I would love to hear some ideas!

A coloring sheet that relates to the story? There are so many free coloring sheet sites, you can most likely find anything!

I do this often with history. My son will color a map or other coloring page pertaining to our lesson, and will still be able to narrate what I had read.

I do this with Latin as well (with DD). She really is just along for the ride on Latin, she listens in and colors something from headventureland. But it amazes me what she remembers!

I think it is fine to keep the hands busy while you are reading. Play-doh, Bubber, and other crafty things would work as well. Check out thinking putty, too.

Anything they want...

So long as they are paying attention, it doesn't matter to me if they are moving around and/or doing something else. The "something else" could be anything from physically moving around to playing with cars or dolls or blocks, to drawing/coloring, etc. etc. I can usually tell when they're actually listening vs. tuned out.

I find that I listen better to lectures/podcasts/audiobooks if I am doing something else at the same time, like knitting or cleaning the kitchen or playing solitaire on my ipod. Somehow, by keeping my hands busy, I can take in more. I assume it is the same for some kids, at some times.

My children can play LEGOS, draw, color etc. If I'm worried about thier retention, I'll ask questions afterward. When my DD was in 1st, I made the mistake of expecting for her to sit still during read-alouds. Boy was that goofy of me:tongue_smilie: Especially since we were using SL Core 1 at the read-alouds bored her to death!

Bring out some big floor pillows, a bowl of popcorn, coloring sheets related to the reading if possible & crayons...enjoy reading time. Could try play-do at the table as you read. Kids could also draw a picture about the reading during reading time and then narrate story, write up and LA is done (at least part way)! Before bedtime, when my kids were small, we took turns giving each other back scratches& hair combing/up dos and all in my big bed. Writing that last sentence brings back warm fuzzy thoughts-thanks!

My ds5 also does much better when he has something to occupy his hands. Usually he's holding a small car or small train, any kind of toy that doesn't make noise. I will ask him questions afterwards and I'm amazed at how much more he retains when his hands are busy!

My ds5 also does much better when he has something to occupy his hands. Usually he's holding a small car or small train, any kind of toy that doesn't make noise. I will ask him questions afterwards and I'm amazed at how much more he retains when his hands are busy!

:iagree:

That is why I posted this! I had started doing narrations with DS4 during his bedtime stories since we are starting HS in July and I wanted him to be used to the process. Anyway, when he was sitting quietly, he would hardly be able to tell me anything (unless it was a picture book and he was looking at the pics). If he was playing quietly with his trains (usually lying on the ground), he would remember so much of the detail. I found it so counterintuitive! You all gave me some great ideas!!!!! Thanks!

One of my favorite read aloud times was a few years ago. My kids were 2nd ? 3rd (boy) and K (girl) ... they had all the playmobile pirates and lego pirate ships out, and were using them as the pilgrim ships and settlers while I read aloud the Pilgrim Primer ... :-)

There's nothing like a onelegged playmobile pirate as John Smith, and the Jack Sparrow as Squanto to brighten the day!

They seemed to be absorbing what I read in a better than usual way that day! :D

Coloring sheets were always a distraction for my boys. But little fidget toys can be good for them. What has often worked best is when I let them act out the story though. It sounds crazy, but occasionally, they just like to stand up and pretend to be all the characters. They do it especially for morning history.

That is why I posted this! I had started doing narrations with DS4 during his bedtime stories since we are starting HS in July and I wanted him to be used to the process.

Just an FYI, but I've read that you usually don't start narrations until around age 6 (I know SWB recommends this in WWE, and I believe CM also does this?). So that might also be an issue for you, if the child is only 4. I have a 4 year old here, and I wouldn't even dream of asking him to narrate yet. It's a very difficult skill that takes some maturity. I'm sure some 4 and 5 year olds can do it, but I'd recommend just waiting and maybe discuss the book a bit, but not really ask for a narration yet. Try to make the reading fun. Don't kill it with too many "comprehension questions". ;) At this point with my 4 year old, I just read. If he picks up something, great. If not, that's fine too. He's only 4. His 6 year old brother gets to do some simple narrations ("What is one thing you remember from the story?") after doing some leading questions, and it likely won't be the main point of the story yet. I won't start narrations with the now-4 year old until he's in first grade or doing first grade work (which would be age 6... he starts K when he's about to turn 6).

Just an FYI, but I've read that you usually don't start narrations until around age 6 (I know SWB recommends this in WWE, and I believe CM also does this?). So that might also be an issue for you, if the child is only 4. I have a 4 year old here, and I wouldn't even dream of asking him to narrate yet. It's a very difficult skill that takes some maturity. I'm sure some 4 and 5 year olds can do it, but I'd recommend just waiting and maybe discuss the book a bit, but not really ask for a narration yet. Try to make the reading fun. Don't kill it with too many "comprehension questions". ;) At this point with my 4 year old, I just read. If he picks up something, great. If not, that's fine too. He's only 4. His 6 year old brother gets to do some simple narrations ("What is one thing you remember from the story?") after doing some leading questions, and it likely won't be the main point of the story yet. I won't start narrations with the now-4 year old until he's in first grade or doing first grade work (which would be age 6... he starts K when he's about to turn 6).

They aren't formal narrations. I just ask him to tell me about what we just read. If he doesn't have anything to say, I ask him some questions.