Menu

girl scouts altenative (christian)

some other hs moms and I are starting a little girl scout alternative club for our 5-9 yo dds. does anyone have a creative name idea for us? the idea is to have a Christian character quality like courage, diligence, patience, a verse and an activity or craft that re-enforces it. Someone suggested "God's Girls" and while the sentiment is fine, it is just too "something" if you KWIM. any more creative ideas? it doesn't have to have God in it (although it can) just something that implies character development or being girls of exellence.

I don't have an idea for you name, but I just thought I would throw this out there, you can ignore it if you already knew:tongue_smilie:!

I noticed it says you live in Ohio...that is the hub for the American Heritage Girls which are a Christian girl scout alternative. They also practice character qualities and learn bible verses along with camping and badge earning. It is for 5-18yos.

I was just mentioning it in case you might not know and maybe would be interested since it is already out there. It would be easy to form a troop I am sure!

Our local h/s group does a GEMS Girls' Club. (I linked to the GEMS website.) It stands for "Girls Everywhere Meeting their Savior". My daughter isn't old enough to participate, so I don't have specific information, but it seems like a really nice alternative to Girl Scouts.

.......the idea is to have a Christian character quality like courage, diligence, patience, a verse and an activity or craft that re-enforces it.......

Isn't that kind of like Sunday School? So this would be separate from that? With weekly meetings or something?

astrid

Pioneer Girls is another Christian-specific group that is similar to what you want. I realize that you are making your own, but you may want to check out some of these alternatives so that you can make use of their resources and not have to reinvent the wheel (which can lose its allure after a while!)

Our local h/s group does a GEMS Girls' Club. (I linked to the GEMS website.) It stands for "Girls Everywhere Meeting their Savior". My daughter isn't old enough to participate, so I don't have specific information, but it seems like a really nice alternative to Girl Scouts.

This is a great program and you can tailor it to what ever age group you want. My church starts it at 6 yrs old but you can start at 5 if you want.