Menu

My 8 year old can't spell

Moxie

I'm out of ideas. We started with Natural Speller when my 10 year old was in first grade; it never was a great fit for my 8 year old but I kept using it. Over the summer, I switched her to Megawords. She does great on the exercises but still can't spell. She just spelled "stood" "stewd". I welcome any and all ideas.

If you listen to SWB's audios, she will say that a poor speller, needs to run back through a phonics program.

We have struggled with spelling here, and we have tried many spelling programs. We are now using Saxon Phonics 2, and all of my older children are going through it - even DD11 is sitting in on our lessons. It is a thorough review and includes a mix of phonics and sight words. It is time-consuming, and expensive, but I will tell you that it is the best homeschooling decision I have made in a long time.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntt=saxon+phonics+2&N=0&Ntk=keywords&action=Search&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1&search=

ETA: Take it from someone who has BTDT - do everything in your power to correct the spelling problems as early as possible. I have found that now that we are working more on content, I wish that we would have corrected the skill area of spelling sooner.

Edited by Roxy Roller

If you listen to SWB's audios, she will say that a poor speller, needs to run back through a phonics program.

Writing Road to Reading, Spell to Write and Read, All About Spelling, and Phonics Road are phonics programs that teach spelling. So is How to Teach Spelling with the How to Spell Workbooks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMAQLW4hIEk Here is a great introduction to the way these programs work. Notice that she explains which phonograms can and can't end words. There are separate spelling rules to learn... not just what you see are on the phonogram cards. Look for more videos by searching WRR phonogram on youtube.

These programs would all have prevented the spelling mistake of stewd for stood... I know that in Phonics Road the phonogram "ew" does not have that sound. It is a substitute for "ui", "ui" is used in the middle of a word but "ew" is used at the end of a word. (This is on the phonogram flashcard.) "oo" has two sounds, the second of which is in stood.

It really isn't complicated because you don't have to learn them all at once. :)

I'm REALLY liking the morpheme approach. I gave both the placement test online at Sound Foundation's and placed them at their first error to cover any gaps. You can view the entire book online. There have been previous threads about the morpheme approach as well.

Sequential Spelling is a great fit for kids who struggle with word patterns in spelling. It starts basic and builds. I think a child should be able to spell cvc and 4 letter words (the good kind :lol:) before diving into level one. If your child can consistently spell words such as: duck, sick, look, etc. correctly she's ready for SS1. If she is not then I'd go back and review phonics. My favorite remedial phonics program is Phonics Pathways. Spelling improves immensely when you know the phonetic rules behind the English language.

I have to admit that it is a bit repetitious for some kids, but good for the late bloomer. We use it because we can do spelling in only 5 minutes a day (10 on the really bad days). There isn't a lot of "busy work", which we all really dislike around here.

Best of luck in your quest for the right fit for your dd.

My son, also eight, was the same way. I agree with the poster who said that a phonics brush-up may be in order. It may not fix everything, but it should definitely help...that, and more reading. For my son, at least, becoming a stronger reader has helped his spelling more than anything. Sometimes, when he is having trouble with a word, I just tell him to close his eyes and think about the way he has seen the word spelled. Doing that alone has eliminated a lot of errors before they even hit the paper. This year for spelling, we have been using Spelling Plus, along with the related Dictation Resource Book. I want him to have a good foundation, and I really like the lists in Speling Plus and how they are arranged. So far, it has been a very good year for him. I'm sure before long, it will click for your daughter, too. Hang in there!

Edited by papillon

Writing Road to Reading, Spell to Write and Read, All About Spelling, and Phonics Road are phonics programs that teach spelling. So is How to Teach Spelling with the How to Spell Workbooks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMAQLW4hIEk Here is a great introduction to the way these programs work. Notice that she explains which phonograms can and can't end words. There are separate spelling rules to learn... not just what you see are on the phonogram cards. Look for more videos by searching WRR phonogram on youtube.

These programs would all have prevented the spelling mistake of stewd for stood... I know that in Phonics Road the phonogram "ew" does not have that sound. It is a substitute for "ui", "ui" is used in the middle of a word but "ew" is used at the end of a word. (This is on the phonogram flashcard.) "oo" has two sounds, the second of which is in stood.

It really isn't complicated because you don't have to learn them all at once. :)

I agree that all of these programs will work, the reason I like Saxon Phonics 2 for a older student, is that it covers all of the spelling rules in one year, which is great if you just need a brush up. Most of the programs listed above are multi-year programs.

I agree that all of these programs will work, the reason I like Saxon Phonics 2 for a older student, is that it covers all of the spelling rules in one year, which is great if you just need a brush up. Most of the programs listed above are multi-year programs.
That is nice! Do you have an example of how it handles the "ou" "oo" difference? Is it like these programs?

I'm out of ideas. We started with Natural Speller when my 10 year old was in first grade; it never was a great fit for my 8 year old but I kept using it. Over the summer, I switched her to Megawords. She does great on the exercises but still can't spell. She just spelled "stood" "stewd". I welcome any and all ideas.

Melissa,

Hands down Abeka has the best little phonics program. My cousin who earned a degree in English (years ago) homeschooled her younger children with this program. I inherited the materials and off I went teaching my dd. My dd went through the entire Abeka phonics program and, in fact, we've only used Abeka phonics, language arts and upcoming english. It is such a strong program that when she took her annual test in the spring when she was in 2nd grade, she scored OFF the chart at 12.9 reading level!!!!!!!

She's finishing up 6th grade and I can't tell you how strong she continues to be in word attack. She's a grade behind in spelling (due to her seizures from a few years ago) and we're still playing catch up. With that said, when she tested last spring, she scored higher in spelling than any other program. The tester said she could jump a grade or two and suggested more of a challenge for her at that grade level with wordly wise.

Abeka can be dry, so you spice it up a bit.

Truly, it's a solid program. HTH. Sheryl <><

Technically, Spalding (Writing Road to Reading is the manual for teaching the Spalding Method) teaches children to read by teaching them to spell, so I wouldn't characterize it by saying it's a phonics program that teaches spelling. :)

Technically, Spalding (Writing Road to Reading is the manual for teaching the Spalding Method) teaches children to read by teaching them to spell, so I wouldn't characterize it by saying it's a phonics program that teaches spelling. :)

Okay, I will clarify: Writing Road to Reading, Spell to Write and Read, and Phonics Road all teach children to read by teaching them to spell with explicit phonics instruction. All About Spelling uses a similar approach to phonograms and rules, but is based on a more remedial Orton-Gillingham method. So is How to Teach Spelling with the How to Spell Workbooks.

Dictation, and more dictation.

Check out Charlotte Mason's approach. It's the only one that I found works with my wackadoo spellers. It's not memorizing how to spell words, it's a very organic spelling approach.

This for us too! My 8 year old has improved so much with this method. We also bought spelling workout and that is helping his confidence a lot.

I must admit, I am now very curious to see this All About Spelling.