Menu

So if I am starting hot flashes now at age 42, does that mean....

that I will be having like ten years or more of them? Because that doesn't seem right to me.

BTW, I am taking Emerita, which helps some. I have read about premenopause too. But my mom said she didn't start getting this stuff til much later and it wasn't bad. And I can't remember hearing people say that they go through this stuff for like ten or more years! :confused:

I unfortunately know several women who've had them for much longer than ten years. One woman has had them for 30 years! My mom finally tried Neurontin and that worked for her, so maybe you can try some different meds and find one that helps more?

Sorry, I know that's not really helpful! Maybe you'll be lucky and you'll end up settling into a pattern more like your mother's? :grouphug:

that I will be having like ten years or more of them? Because that doesn't seem right to me.

BTW, I am taking Emerita, which helps some. I have read about premenopause too. But my mom said she didn't start getting this stuff til much later and it wasn't bad. And I can't remember hearing people say that they go through this stuff for like ten or more years! :confused:

Oh honey, every woman is different! Some may breeze through in a year or 2 and my back door neighbor swears she still has them...she's 75 :glare: It's been about 10 years for me and I JUST CAME HOME FROM MY ANNUAL GYN appt hours ago. He said it will probably be a few more years for me!

I've had them for about 6 years now. According to my gyn, the 2 biggest predictors of whether menopause is impending are: the age of your mother at menopause (typically a daughter follows the same pattern - but I'm sure there are plenty here who have experienced otherwise) and whether your periods are regular. If they are regular, you've got a while to go. When they get erratic, things are happening :-)

I started perimenopause at 34. Turned out that having a thyroid condition along with a mom who had early menopause as well did me in. From what I've learned along the way, the age your mom went through menopause is a big factor.

Also, though my doctor disagrees, I've read that having a tubal can contribute to early menopause--something about restricting the blood flow to the ovaries and causing them to give out earlier than they might have otherwise. I think it makes sense, but I'm no expert.

Do you have any of these factors going on?

According to my doctor, in my case this could go on for 10 years. Sorry you're dealing with it!

You won't necessarily have hot flashes for the next ten years. I got them a lot, earlier on, and still get them, but not as often and not as severe. I started when I was your age, and have had the last year or so (46) move on to other issues that are bigger now than the hot flashes.

My gyn said early onset is no indicator that menopause will begin early, though...*sigh*.

I want to know if it is typical for them to only come when I lay down to sleep at night. True - I do not want them during the day and, yes, in this cold snap they save me using the electric blanket ;-) Just wonder if that is typical?

PS I am a tad over a half a century old (and when i write it out like that I feel even older!!!)

Edited by JFSinIL

Does everyone get hot flashes? I don't remember my mom having any and I am 48 and still haven't had any. I asked my gyn about how I will know I am in menopause (need the information for osteoporosis screening) and she said when I get hot flashes. She also said I could get a blood test once a year to check some hormone levels.

I had night sweats infrequently and for years and years while still having a very regular cycle. No hot flashes during the day, either. It was when the mood swings starting going crazy that I particularly began to be concerned (or should I say, when everyone else in the house did :glare:). I don't know how the story would've ended, though, as I had to go through sudden menopause at the turn of age 47 (and it wasn't pretty). Looking back on things now, I wish I would've taken some kind of supplements when I started having those awful mood changes.

Oh yeah, I also now remember the awful insomnia in the middle of the night (probably from waking up hot)... I did not like that part, either. I am starting to wonder if this may all be part of 'the curse' that was placed on Eve after she sinned, and all women... the pain during childbirth and beyond.

Brenda

P.S. Didn't mean to cast such a downer on things, as Jesus did come to give us life, and life more abundantly.... just had to add this postscript.

Brenda

Maybe, maybe not. I started them around 40 and still have them at 48. I want to really encourage you to read, read, then read some more about perimenopause. There are so many products aimed at women our age. Some are great, some are not. You need to be well informed so you can make good choices.

Honestly, BCPs are the only thing that helped my hot flashes. I did not start the Pill for the hot flashes but for exceedingly long cycles. I could live with hot flashes, but the other problem was causing lots of other concerns. Within 3 days of starting the first pack, the hot flashes/night sweats were gone. Now, I only have them the days I am taking the "blank" pills. Again, I consider stopping the hot flashes a bonus, but I'll take it!!

I'm not advocating hormone therapy - it is certainly NOT for every woman.

Hot Flashes are periods of sudden intense heat, while flushes include the obvious flushing or redness. While they usually come and go for a year or two, some still have hot flashes for 10-15 years after menopause. Hot flashes and flushes can last for a few seconds or up to five minutes.

WHAT HELPS

HEALTHY EATING

Heat-producing foods can trigger hot flashes – limit fatty foods, sugars, caffeine, and very hot spicy foods

Cooling foods and plant estrogens help reduce hot flashes – fruits, vegetables, yogurt, goat cheese – these all cool the body

More salads

Fewer cooked foods

Drink plenty of water throughout the day

When dietary changes are not enough, it’s time to look into supplements.

SUPPLEMENTS

Hesperidin is found in the skin of lemons and oranges. It works like a miracle for many women, eliminating hot flashes and night sweats.

Take 500 mg morning and night. You most likely will need that much to reduce hot flashes.

Although hesperidin is a bioflavonoid, you can’t get enough of it in bioflavonoid supplements. Look for a hot flash formula with high amounts of hesperidin.

PHYTOESTROGENS are plant-based estrogens that curb hot flashes, weight gain, and other complaints.

Look for a multiple-herb formula with

Chaste-tree berry (normalizes hormone secretion and helps balance estrogen and progesterone) – 40 mg daily – quite frankly, this is the only one I think I will try from this list of phytoestrogens. The rest are of concern to me, since there is a likelihood that they may raise breast estrogen levels.

• Black cohosh

• Red clover

• American ginseng

• Milk thistle

Nothing has been found to be nearly as effective for menopause symptoms as Black Cohosh. Many Black Cohosh supplements are less potent than they appear. You need to get 540 mg daily. Studies have shown that in sufficient doses, this herb can help alleviate menopausal symptoms in as little as 4 weeks. Puritan’s Pride Black Cohosh 540 mg

One study found that women who took Black Cohosh were 47 percent less likely to have breast cancer.

Black cohosh can reduce hot flashes by 85%. 40 mg daily of Remifemin

Black cohosh treats hot flashes, night sweats, headaches, vaginal dryness, and anxiety

OVERALL RELIEF

Daily Balance Harmony

Enzymatic Therapy AM/PM Menopause Formula

Gaia Herbs Phyto-Estrogen

NOW Foods Menopause Support

Solgar Herbal Female Complex

SAGE has been used since ancient times to stop hot flashes and helps reduce all kinds of excessive perspiration. Sage tea and sage tincture helps hot flashes and night sweats.

1-3 cups of sage tea can reduce your hot flashes OR take the herb as a supplement

Sage tea is the safest and least expensive solution. Allow the tea to cool down for best results. Drink 1-3 cups a day in between meals. You can increase this amount, if you like, to 4-5 cups a day. You may need much less. In fact, just 1 serving of sage tea can cool down some women within two hours and last for a day or more.

Tinctures or capsules containing sage are good options if you don’t want to drink the tea.

WILD HOPS reduces hot flashes and night sweats, anxiety, and helps muscles relax. Wild hops can help you sleep

30-120 mg at bedtime

Has to be dried to have any medicinal effect

Often used in combination w/valerian and lemon balm.

SAFFRON promotes calmness and reduces irritability and hot flashes

1 pinch stirred into hot, cooked food daily

Some have said that the combination of Chinese Bitters (taken before breakfast) and Fem-Mate (taken at bedtime) is very helpful for alleviating hot flashes. In one case, a 60 year old woman was on HRT for 10 years and was told to stop her HRT immediately because of her vaginal bleeding. When she stopped, her hot flashes became unbearable, and she tried all manner of remedies to no avail. When she took Chinese Bitters and Fem-Mate, her hot flashes became manageable in only 4 days, although it took 3-4 months before her hot flashes disappeared.

This remedy works because Chinese Bitters decongests and cleanses the liver while Fem-Mate stimulates natural progesterone and estrogen production by stimulating the adrenals. For some women, whose hot flashes are relatively mild, Chinese Bitters alone is enough to eliminate their hot flashes.

In some cases, the complete program of liver and gallbladder cleansing may be necessary because HRT is known to cause gallstones. Daily morning exercises such as stretching and deep breathing can also help by "activating" the liver in the morning.

OTHER TIPS

Sleep on right side. Sleeping on right side prompts relaxation and decreases blood pressure – which can help calm you during hormone-related symptoms such as hot flashes.

Soak your feet in cold water to prevent hot flashes during night