Menu

knitters: help!

This fall my dh bought the circle things and started 'knitting' hats and then scarves. I tried knitting years ago but my teacher kept tearing my stuff apart that I gave up trying. I can crochet, but it's slow. Something in the way I hold the needle makes my hand cramp up after a few rows. So I am the worlds slowest crocheter.

My sister wants a scarf. I told her to go to Joann or Michael's and send us yarn for a scarf.

I got these TINY balls of expensive yarn in the mail. They are half the weight and size of the yarn we were using from the cheaper stores. This stuff is high dollar, small size yarn.

We can't do the circle things with it and get a scarf. She can't return it....she threw the receipt out. They would only do store credit only.

can someone give me some simple ideas for how to use it? I have 3 balls that match and then 2 balls that match. They can't all be put together. It seems like such little yarn. Is there anything I can do with it? Can I try to crochet with it?

I don't know how to read patterns....I just do what I want when I crochet....so think simple please :lol:

You can combine strands together to make a thicker yarn. Just hold them together as you knit. I have made several scarves that way. Just make sure you have enough yardage to make the scarf as long as you are wanting.

If it is a very fine yarn, it may be what is typically used for socks or lace making. You can use it for crochet if you want. Yarn is yarn.

What circle things are you talking about?

What is the name of the yarn. I can search some patterns for you.

This fall my dh bought the circle things and started 'knitting' hats and then scarves. I tried knitting years ago but my teacher kept tearing my stuff apart that I gave up trying. I can crochet, but it's slow. Something in the way I hold the needle makes my hand cramp up after a few rows. So I am the worlds slowest crocheter.

My sister wants a scarf. I told her to go to Joann or Michael's and send us yarn for a scarf.

I got these TINY balls of expensive yarn in the mail. They are half the weight and size of the yarn we were using from the cheaper stores. This stuff is high dollar, small size yarn.

We can't do the circle things with it and get a scarf. She can't return it....she threw the receipt out. They would only do store credit only.

can someone give me some simple ideas for how to use it? I have 3 balls that match and then 2 balls that match. They can't all be put together. It seems like such little yarn. Is there anything I can do with it? Can I try to crochet with it?

I don't know how to read patterns....I just do what I want when I crochet....so think simple please :lol:

http://www.classiceliteyarns.com/product_page_detail.php?category_id=1&item_id=8

I have 3 that will go together and then I have 2 that will go together.

The circle things are the round things you get at craft stores to

knit hats/scarves for people who don't really know how to knit :lol::tongue_smilie:

volume wise it seems so much less than what we had been using. I plan on buying what we used this fall to make her scarf and dh's hat but I don't want to waste this nice yarn. It is half of what we used to make previous items and I can't get more of it.

I agree, double that yarn up with something thicker.

It will make that yarn an "accent" color through the scarf.

I've been using the Knifty Knitters since Christmas, and been experimenting.

I have double-up the yarn, and it looks really cool. You just use both the yarns at the same time, as if they were one. The thinner yarn will show up less, thus the "accent".

Is there a way to knit a flat piece instead of a tube? With regular knitting I would hold 2 strands together and use larger needles and an open pattern to make the scarf. Something like this, maybe. If there is a way to do that you could get more length for your scarf. If not, even just knitting a flat piece would enable you to extend the length of your scarf.

Remember that you can mix the two types of yarn together. The 2 and the 3 don't have to be used with only their same kind. Mixing yarns can create nice textures and color combos.

we have doubled up yarn but I hadn't thought to use different types of yarn! Thank you, I believe that will work perfectly!

I love the link to that other scarf....but I can't read patterns. So I have no idea what it meant. But my sister would love it. Too bad I can't do it! LOL

by the way....is there any way to add pom poms to the end of a scarf?