Menu

Kindle, Nook, Nook Color or a netbook?

I am going to buy either a kindle, nook, nook color or a netbook. I am considering the kindle since it is such a great e-reader and amazon has tons of free books (and my family loves theirs). The nook is appealing since I can borrow books from the local library. The nook color is appealing since I can hack it to make it an android tablet where it can become a kindle and nook e-book reader as well as use android apps. The netbook seems like it would be better for forums like this one and homeschooling stuff + I can download all of the e-readers to take advantage of free books.

What would you do if you were me?:bigear:

Well, you can get free books for any e-reader, so I wouldn't make that a consideration.

I have a nook, and I've been very, very happy with it. In addition to your local library, there are several libraries with big e-book selections that will give you a non-resident card for a fee (Free Library of Philadelphia is one of them, the cheapest, I believe, at $15/year).

We bought a cheapie netbook at Walmart, and I wouldn't do that again. It's SO slow that no one likes to use it if they can avoid it. So if you go with a netbook, do your research and be willing to spend more to get a good one.

Of your choices, I'd probably vote for Nook color for the best blend of price and functionality. Like you said, it can work essentially as an Android tablet for a lot less money than an ipad or something. I might reward myself with a nook color for christmas next year if I meet my 52 books goal. the only downside (aside from being more expensive than a nook or kindle) is the backlit screen. Some people don't like to read on it. I haven't tried it, but I spend so much time reading on my computer screen that it's hard to imagine it would bother me. I have a friend with a nook color, so I've played around with it a bit, and it looks really nice.

If you can I would take a look at each of them. I was convinced I wanted a Nook from reading the comparisons, but after seeing each I ended up with a Kindle. I think it probably really depends on the individual, but for me I found the Kindle more intuitive to navigate and much preferred reading with the newer e-ink.

I have a netbook that I love. It's great for hauling around the house, I think anyone with insomnia needs a netbook. Mine is a hp, long battery life, great. But as an e-reader I don't think I'd want to curl up with it and read.

I'd like to have a dedicated e-reader like a nook, but dh is learning towards a tablet to have more functionality. With all the new tablets coming out we are leaning in that direction. Then you can download the Kindle app and the Nook app and take advantage of both applications.

My only concern is the eye strain from reading from a screen. I'd like a dedicated reader that uses e-ink (is that right?) for just that, that's available on the B&W readers (is that right?).

We have a Nook Color and Kindle. I much prefer the Kindle. (I am not going to hack the Nook! I'd probably kill it.) The Kindle is more intuitive; at least, it thinks like I do. :D I really like the ease of the free books on the Kindle. It is just...more friendly. My ds has decided that the Kindle is a Mac and the Nook is a pc. :lol:

I am going to buy either a kindle, nook, nook color or a netbook. I am considering the kindle since it is such a great e-reader and amazon has tons of free books (and my family loves theirs). The nook is appealing since I can borrow books from the local library. The nook color is appealing since I can hack it to make it an android tablet where it can become a kindle and nook e-book reader as well as use android apps. The netbook seems like it would be better for forums like this one and homeschooling stuff + I can download all of the e-readers to take advantage of free books.

What would you do if you were me?:bigear:

I own a Nook and I have rooted it so it is more useful. I have a rooted Samsung Vibrant which I adore and a friend is sending me her netbook but if I could, I would get the Nook Color in a heartbeat!!! And I would use Aldiko book reader on it which is by far my very favorite format for ereading.

I have a netbook, which I love!!! I don't enjoy reading on it though, I just recently (Friday) purchased a Nook and so far it's ok. I'm not very tech savvy, but my kids are having a good time "trying" to teach mom how to use it. I do love reading from it and my DS loved storytime last nigh because he got to curl up to me while I read from it. I'd really love a Nook color for reading kids books, but i'm trying to be grateful for what I have, lol.

I have a Nook and am happy with it so far.

I don't feel the need to do more with it than read. I don't need to access the Internet when I'm not home; if I'm going to be gone overnight, or over several nights, I have a laptop, and that's sufficient for me.

I'm also not sure I want one device to do everything. What if I lose it or it becomes otherwise dysfunctional? No, I want multiple redundancies, lol.

I've downloaded quite a few books from Gutenburg and some from manybooks.net. I also spent an hour or so hanging out in Barnes & Noble reading books for free while sipping a chichi coffee drink in Starbucks. Good times.

I read this review. Helpful.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/2781636-452/nook-color-book-kindle-device.html

I have a question. I annotate heavily in my paper books. Can I backup my annotations to my computer with the Nook Color? Or does B&N save them "for me" like Amazon does with the Kindle. A deal-breaker for me. I don't want to share my notes.

Thanks!

Janice

INHO I think that the nook color is not worth the money. It seems like if color and internet access is what you want you can pay $100 more and get an Ipad that does a ton more stuff. Both are backlit and and don't use E-ink. So, if reading on a back-lit screen bothers you, than it makes more sense to buy a Kindle or a regular Nook because they both use E-ink and that is supposed to be easier on the eyes.

The other consideration that is very terrible for the Nook Color is that it has a full-color screen, access to the internet, and NO PARENTAL CONTROLS. You can search for anything on the Nook Color and get graphic full color images. In my opinion, the makers of the Nook Color are not protecting children from images that they should not see. This is an issue that they should have thought about and put an option of parental controls onto their Nook Color. An Ipad does have parental controls.

Here are some other considerations:

Battery Life: Nook color is about 8 hours, Kindle is about 30 hours, not sure about the regular Nook

Free Books: The Nook, you can borrow from the library, but most all of the books that are available are going to be public domain books anyway (so they would be free or very cheap at Amazon) Most publishers of new books aren't making their books available to libraries right now. Nicer is the borrowing feature on a Nook. If you know another person with a Nook, then you can borrow each other's books for 2 weeks at a time.

Battery Replacement: With a Kindle, you cannot buy replacement batteries, you have to send in your Kindle, and have them replace the battery, then they mail it back. This is not good in my opinion. With the Nook, you can buy a replacement battery and replace it yourself.

Reading in the Dark: The Kindle has a cover you can buy with the light built in. So the light is with the Kindle at all times, and runs on the Kindle's battery. The Nook, you will need to buy a clip-on light.

Just some considerations. Ultimately, I decided on a Kindle. We love it.

Okra

Free Books: The Nook, you can borrow from the library, but most all of the books that are available are going to be public domain books anyway (so they would be free or very cheap at Amazon) Most publishers of new books aren't making their books available to libraries right now.

This hasn't been my experience. Free Library of Philadelphia, for example, has over 4000 e-books not including, as far as I can tell, public domain books (which they have in a separate section of the website). More often than not, when I hear about a new book on NPR or Amazon's best books of the month, et. al. it's available there (albeit often with a waiting list). It has a much better selection of new e-books than my library has of new real books.

ETA: I feel like I post constantly about getting library books on my Nook, but, seriously, it's been a life-changing thing for me. My local library's selection is not great to start with, and when you add in that I always have kids in tow when I'm there, and that if I put a hold on anything I'd have to find time to make a trip out to pick it up....I'm reading tons of new books on the Nook that I would never get around to reading otherwise, and it's all FREE!

Edited by kokotg

I don't think you can compare the Nook color to a Kindle. The Nook color is an iPad wannabe. :) If you're looking for a tablet device, then compare the NC to an iPad or to the other tablet devices.

As far as regular Nook vs. Kindle, I looked at both and chose the Kindle. I just like the feel of it better, think it's easier to use (the Nook touchscreen didn't impress me), and it does seem that there are more books available for the Kindle. And now Kindle has lending, so Nook no longer has that advantage.

The Nook does have the advantage of library books, but a previous poster already addressed that. Also, not all libraries even have ebook lending.

The Kindle is lighter. I'm pretty sure the battery life is longer. Mine lasts over a month with wifi off, and I read on it every day. I inadvertently left wifi on once, and it lasted about a week.

I don't have the lighted case, so that wasn't an issue for me. I bought a clip on light and plan to make my own case from a pattern I found on the web.

I love my Kindle and have never looked back and wished I made a different choice. OTOH, my dil got a Nook Color for Christmas (my stepson bought it for her) and she absolutely loves it. What one person thinks isn't worth having, another would find is perfect for them. I have no desire for a Nook Color, she didn't want a Kindle; we're both very happy with what we have.

I don't think you can compare the Nook color to a Kindle. The Nook color is an iPad wannabe. :) If you're looking for a tablet device, then compare the NC to an iPad or to the other tablet devices.

As far as regular Nook vs. Kindle, I looked at both and chose the Kindle. I just like the feel of it better, think it's easier to use (the Nook touchscreen didn't impress me), and it does seem that there are more books available for the Kindle. And now Kindle has lending, so Nook no longer has that advantage.

The Nook does have the advantage of library books, but a previous poster already addressed that. Also, not all libraries even have ebook lending.

The Kindle is lighter. I'm pretty sure the battery life is longer. Mine lasts over a month with wifi off, and I read on it every day. I inadvertently left wifi on once, and it lasted about a week.

I don't have the lighted case, so that wasn't an issue for me. I bought a clip on light and plan to make my own case from a pattern I found on the web.

I love my Kindle and have never looked back and wished I made a different choice. OTOH, my dil got a Nook Color for Christmas (my stepson bought it for her) and she absolutely loves it. What one person thinks isn't worth having, another would find is perfect for them. I have no desire for a Nook Color, she didn't want a Kindle; we're both very happy with what we have.

Maybe, but with half the price tag, I'll take it:001_smile:

I agree, though, that NC vs. Kindle really isn't a fair comparison since their function and purpose are completely different. NC is more of a tablet, like you said.

Lisa

Edited by Momto5girls

ETA: I feel like I post constantly about getting library books on my Nook, but, seriously, it's been a life-changing thing for me. My local library's selection is not great to start with, and when you add in that I always have kids in tow when I'm there, and that if I put a hold on anything I'd have to find time to make a trip out to pick it up....I'm reading tons of new books on the Nook that I would never get around to reading otherwise, and it's all FREE!

You can do this on the iphone or itouch too and not need any additional "device". ;)

You can do this on the iphone or itouch too and not need any additional "device". ;)

Absolutely...you can do on it on your PC, for that matter--pretty much any device that will load an e-book except a Kindle. But I find reading on the Nook a lot more pleasant than on the iphone (and if you don't already have an iphone or itouch, a Nook is a good bit cheaper, if your primary goal is to read books).

That is a hard choice. I had both the kindle and the nook and decided I'd rather get an ipad. Now I don't know what to choose. They all have thier pros and cons. I would go to best buy and try to play around with each device. I know my local BB has the kindle and nook on display ( as well as netbooks) not the nook color though.

You can borrow books from the library on your iphone (!!!) Or at least our library allows it. For audio books, too. :)

I have an iPod touch that I can read on but the screen is just too small for my liking. I did check with our library and I could get books on my touch if I wanted. I just need something bigger to read on.

Where are you finding an iPad for $350?

That's exactly what I was wondering? The cheapest (that I know of) is $250 more than the NC... double the price.

I have the NC, and I love it. I was unsure about buying it at first, but it does quite a bit, and I am happy with it. I was also considering an i-pad, but after purchasing the NC, I realized I didn't really need it... I will be saving myself a lot of money.

You can borrow books from the library on your iphone (!!!) Or at least our library allows it. For audio books, too. :)

Unfortunately, I can't read much on my phone. I have tried but I think the print is just too small and the back lighting bothers me. If I read on it for more than 15 minutes, my eyes end up bloodshot and I feel sick:001_huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question...I read on a review that the Nook Color battery is internal and can NOT be changed. Once the battery dies, it is a throwaway, which bothers me greatly. I know for Kindle, you have to send it in to have the battery changed. And on reg Nook, you can change it yourself. But I don't like the idea of a $250 disposable electronic device. Much as I would like to buy it, I can't justify that if it is the case. Anyone able to confirm that?

The other think about the NC is you can't get 3G coverage, right?