Menu

Do you use your formal dining room?

Our formal dining room is our school room. We have room to eat in our kitchen 99% of the time so we only have to clean it up back into a dining space rarely. In our previous house we had a large eat in kitchen, no formal dining but a large sunroom off the kitchen. We used our sunroom as many things over the years; first it was my sewing studio, then the playroom and finally the school room before we sold it to buy bigger. Staging was very simple in that we used existing furniture to turn it into a lovely office area and we did school at the kitchen table while we were showing our home. I'm still searching for a nicer cabinet for all of our art supplies since they are in the dining room. HTH

Guest momk2000

We don't have a formal DR in our tiny house. Our living and dining area are basically just one large (well, not really very large) open space. We do our schoolwork at the dining table though. :)

We have another large 'eating area' in our great room so we never really planned on using the 'formal dining room'. The kitchen is located right between the two rooms (which makes it convenient for me to grab a quick cup of tea when I'm working online).

Our 'formal dining room' has a LARGE corner computer unit (2 computers, desk, filing cabinet) plus assorted dust collectors (I mean workout equipment such as weights and treadmill)... It has great big windows that look out to the front porch and then the horse paddock-- so I don't feel closed in all day.

We do schoolwork in our dining room, but it is still set up as a formal dining room.

This is how we do it. I have a rolling cart with the most currently used stuff that I keep in the dining room. Everything else is in the spare bedroom, aka junk room. We actually use our formal dining room for dining about half a dozen times a year. We usually host Thanksgiving, and we have extended family cookouts and pot luck gatherings throughout the year. We need the dining room for seating. The dining room table is also my sewing table.