Menu

Are 10 yo girls particularly difficult or is it me?

My dd is having the hardest time this year in EVERYTHING! She has always been a very, very easy going young lady. But this year, she's always tired, or cranky, or...something! I have a terrible time getting her up in the morning. Then she's in tears over this or that. I just don't get it. I'm getting very frustrated over this because I have 4 other children to teach. She drags her feet in her schoolwork and dilly dallys over just about anything I ask her to do. This morning, she cried while doing the breakfast dishes, fought w/her sister, and just ran off to her room yelling how she hates this house. She has a music class at the school in a few minutes so I hope she gets her act together pretty quickly. She has said she wants to go to ps but that's just not an option and we've explained why. In my opinion, I think she is having a hard time adjusting to the slight increase in her school load now that she's in 4th grade. She would love to draw and play w/her younger siblings all day. Oh and skype w/her friends. I've suspected that she pretends to be sick to get out of schoolwork so when that happens, I send her to bed and only feed her toast and broth. That seems to do the trick. We have a friend that we get together with once a week and they do presentations, memorization, etc. She LOVES this friend but for some reason, still drags her feet when it comes to doing the schoolwork so she has something to present. I'm ready to tear my hair out. I don't think I've pampered her but maybe I'm not seeing something.

I'm trying to ignore her theatrics and deal w/her in a very matter of fact manner. But inside, I'm secretly very worried. Any advice??

I have five girls. This start anywhere from 9 to 11 and lasts until their periods become regular. I am on my last one now and I think it was one puberty too many as far as my patience goes. I am finding this one much harder to deal with than all the rest. Of course, I think this one is much more dramatic and emotional than the rest were.

Hormones! My 11 yr old DD has been very emotional, grumpy and downright nasty since around age 9.5. She started her period at 10 and hasn't quite stabilized into a regular schedule yet. My hope is that she'll calm down in the next year or two! She also has an anxiety disorder, so she's been on medication for around 2 years. This does help moderate the behavior/emotions, but it doesn't get all the way there. My guess is that time will help!

:grouphug:

sigh

I did find it helps somewhat to let her sleep in until she gets up naturally. It is hard for me to relax and do that, we did so well on a schedule for years, but she seems to need more sleep than ever before. It makes a big difference in her demeanor when she gets up on her own.

Edited by Lizzie in Ma

My daughters were born lawyers. I don't find their basic personalities have changed. I attended a Waldorf parent playgroup when my youngest dd was 3. The teacher in charge, who we loved even with all those Waldor quirks, suggested that I dress my daughter in red because she said it would calm her fiesty behavior. :D It did not. LOL

It's just you. :D

But seriously, I am convinced that neither age nor gender are the root problems. Neither of my dds were "problems" when they were 10. 10 was a good year for us. I have known of boys who were difficult at that age, too...and when they were 11, and 12, and...

Some children, boys and girls, are "difficult," bless their hearts.

sigh

I did find it helps somewhat to let her sleep in until she gets up naturally. It is hard for me to relax and do that, we did so well on a schedule for years, but she seems to need more sleep than ever before. It makes a big difference in her demeanor when she gets up on her own.

Ah! You do this. I think it's wonderful. Leave it.

A lof of physical activity can help as well. I know there is a ton of snow on the ground right now...Sigh...but I know that Wachusett Mountain has hs ski every Friday, and the Y is always a blessing. Some of the hsers here go to a hser free swim at the Y, some also attend a roller skating rink program. What about ice skating? Does she still like to play outside?

Edited by LibraryLover

It's just you........NOT! ;) You mentioned 10 yo, but you have a 9 and 11. Did one have a b'day? It's probably "partly" hormonal for either one. The younger of these 2 may just now be "budding" and the 11 yo is closer to her cycle starting if it already hasn't.

Honestly, you've described my dd. Well, actually my dd is a more extreme version of what you mentioned with your dd. And, my dd is 11, soon to turn 12 in May. She has not started her cycle yet, but I wish she would to help release her pent up dam for lack of a better phrase.

Other than that, have you considered a food allergy? How is her sugar level? Has that been tested.

:grouphug: Sheryl <><