Menu

Suede Couch -- good idea?? Bad idea?? Thoughts, please!

Anyone have a suede couch? Or micro suede or whatever?? I need all the info I can get, please!

We are in the market for a new couch, do not need something that will last forever, just something that will last the next four years.

We have three boys -- 13, 10 and almost 6. We have a dog (golden retriever) who lives inside, is not allowed on the couch, but I know gets on it when we are out of the house. Food is allowed in the living room.

We found a couch we love, at a great price, that is suede/microsuede (it's 100% polyester). It is treated with some sort of spill guard stuff so liquids won't soak in. We will get a chocolate brown. The sale price, of course, ends today.

Is this a good idea for a couch for us? will it hold up to the boys and the dog? Will it be terribly uncomfortable in the heat??

We live in the tropics and do not have a/c (we do have fans). It's often in the 80s in the house during the summer. Probably 70s during spring/fall. Will those temps be uncomfortably warm if sitting on suede???

Anything else I need to know in order to make a smart decision?

Thanks for your help!

We have microsuede couches in our family room and they are now three years old.

I would definitely put some Scotch Guard on them. If you want to pay for the furniture place to do it with a warranty, you may want to do that (I've not come across a place that does it free, and the places we looked at didn't automatically do *any* of their furniture. We've never done that, though, as we feel that there is surely something not right with their guarantee, as it sounds too good to be true. So, I just bought a can of Scotch Guard and did them myself. I gave each couch two coats (waiting for the first one to dry). While we don't eat food out there, the cat, uh, 'initiated' one couch with, uh, a dark yellow gastric juice. All.over.the.seat.and.all.down.the.front. I wiped it up with a clean rag, then 'mopped' it with a damp rag. It all came off. :001_huh: That was after the Scotch Guard was about 2 years old. I have since reapplied Scotch Guard to everything.

Also, because I have noticed that on other fabrics, oily heads leave marks, I bought some hand towels in a color similar to the couches, and put them on the head part of the couch (ours have the recliners) when we're there for a long time (movies, football games,etc). When we leave, they get folded and put away--these are only for the couches, so they stay nearby.

So far, so good, and our couches still look new. Oh, ours are a light mocha color, so I bet Chocolate brown will be even better at hiding stuff... except dog fur, but our cat fur doesn't seem to stick to it and those sticky rollers work great. We also put a piece of fleece on the part that the cat likes to lay on, and she goes there to lay, so that helps, too.

I adore my microsuede couch. Just make sure you get a good quality, thick micro-suede (the cheaper stuff is pretty useless).

How can i tell how thick the micro suede is??? Or that it's good quality or not??

The one we are looking at is 100% polyester, is already treated with scotch guard stuff, and *seems* pretty good, but how do I tell for sure/??

We have microsuede couches in our family room and they are now three years old.

I would definitely put some Scotch Guard on them. If you want to pay for the furniture place to do it with a warranty, you may want to do that (I've not come across a place that does it free, and the places we looked at didn't automatically do *any* of their furniture. We've never done that, though, as we feel that there is surely something not right with their guarantee, as it sounds too good to be true. So, I just bought a can of Scotch Guard and did them myself. I gave each couch two coats (waiting for the first one to dry). While we don't eat food out there, the cat, uh, 'initiated' one couch with, uh, a dark yellow gastric juice. All.over.the.seat.and.all.down.the.front. I wiped it up with a clean rag, then 'mopped' it with a damp rag. It all came off. :001_huh: That was after the Scotch Guard was about 2 years old. I have since reapplied Scotch Guard to everything.

Also, because I have noticed that on other fabrics, oily heads leave marks, I bought some hand towels in a color similar to the couches, and put them on the head part of the couch (ours have the recliners) when we're there for a long time (movies, football games,etc). When we leave, they get folded and put away--these are only for the couches, so they stay nearby.

So far, so good, and our couches still look new. Oh, ours are a light mocha color, so I bet Chocolate brown will be even better at hiding stuff... except dog fur, but our cat fur doesn't seem to stick to it and those sticky rollers work great. We also put a piece of fleece on the part that the cat likes to lay on, and she goes there to lay, so that helps, too.

That's good to know.

ours isn't as tall/no recliners, so shouldn't be a problem of heads -- I'll double check before we buy, but that's a good idea about the towels.

The dog is not allowed on the furniture, though of course she goes up there when we aren't watching. I will throw a blanket on when we leave the house, but I'm glad to know the hair comes up.

Any problems with heat????

I've heard from a few other people that micro suede is a hot fabric. Do you all find this to be true???

Where we live, Brazil, it's usually mid- to high- 70s during spring and fall; high 80s (to low 90s) in the summer. That is indoor temp as we do not have A/C, but do have fans for the living room. Will we hate our couch in the warmer parts of the year?? Have any of you found it to be too hot to sit on (or makes you hot when you sit on it)???

We have a chenille couch now, sort of in a cordurory texture. Will the micro suede be worse than that??? It seems a huge drawback if so.....