Menu

MFW Science

Chelli

I am pretty much certain that I am going to use MFW Adventures for my DD this next school year. However, I can't really tell how thorough their coverage for science is in Adventures and in the 5 year cycle.

I know that starting in 7th they use Apologia, but for 2nd-6th did you find MFW science needed to be supplemented, thrown out altogether, or was just right.

I hate to scrap their science because I know that MFW uses a unit study approach so every subject ties together, but my DD really loves science and I don't want to stifle her scientific bent.

Thanks in advance!!!

I haven't used Adv, but I'm finding the science in ECC to be plenty. If/when you (we) feel like we want or need more, it's easy to add via book basket. I know that Apologia Astronomy is used in the RtR year, and it's completed in 1 semester - I've seen other curricula that schedule it over a whole year, so doing it in a semester wouldn't be too light, I'd think. I know that science (like history) is not covered using just 1 book, but several, and it seems there is a variety of activities: notebooking, narrating, nature walks/journals, hands-on/experiments, etc..

I haven't looked too thoroughly at the science in all the years, but like I said, there's plenty in ECC, and adding or exploring rabbit trails is easy with book basket.

I hope someone else chimes in for you.

:)

Melissa

We loved the science in Adv. It went well with the names of Jesus study from what I remember. Oh, in RtR they use Apologia exploring w/ astronomy and ex-1850 exploring with Botany. IMO the science every year (we have used K, 1st, Adv., and ECC) is thought out very well and integrated with the lessons.

My thoughts? put in context first..... I've used MFW since 2003 and oldest is now in high school... my dh holds a PhD in chemistry

We have been very happy with the way MFW does science. My husband, who works as a researcher in his field, believes the following about goals and objectives of elementary years in science

"Elementary science instruction and materials should not be expected to convey laser-precise scientific detail. The principal objectives of elementary-level science should be to teach students to be curious about the world around them, to train them to observe, and to provide an introduction to the scientific method. Teaching facts about the constitution and behavior of the physical world is secondary (but by no means negligible). "

ok, so he's a science nerd and geek. He's happy with how MFW does it.

In ADV, the science is not going to be heavy and it will not hold them back either. The science is related to the names of Jesus study and covers a wide variety of science topics suitable for the age. You have options to do more with the internet linked science book used for more readings, more experiments, etc. Additionally, MFW encourage extra reading.

My dh encourages our children to do the experiment again, and to think of a small way to change it to see new results or same results.

In other years in MFW, the science is not always tied to the unit study in history or geography or Bible. My elementary age child is in RTR this year and we did human anatomy in first semester and just started Astronomy for 2nd semester. So, that year, we're doing 2 full semesters.

I say if you're planning to do MFW, start with the science in the program, add in controlled ways that don't bog you down (book basket, repeat experiments, look up internet links in the books in the package), and do fun science stuff with the kids (field trips, museums, etc.) Enjoy videos together. If the books aren't a perfect fit, ask on mfw board for ideas how to change it before tossing it.

Then, as you see the need arise, tweak and add for your child's need.

Another way in elementary to add more science -- let them set up the experiment and clean it up, and do a "tiny" lab report. take pictures and then explain the whole thing to daddy when he comes home.

-crystal

Thanks so much for all of your responses! You have eased my mind about having to add something else into a "complete" curriculum :001_smile:

Crystal--Tell your husband that I love his view on science in the early grades. It's how I feel about it as well, but could never articulate it that well ;) I'm a history nerd and geek myself, so the sciences are a stretch for me!

I haven't used Adv, but I'm finding the science in ECC to be plenty. If/when you (we) feel like we want or need more, it's easy to add via book basket. I know that Apologia Astronomy is used in the RtR year, and it's completed in 1 semester - I've seen other curricula that schedule it over a whole year, so doing it in a semester wouldn't be too light, I'd think. I know that science (like history) is not covered using just 1 book, but several, and it seems there is a variety of activities: notebooking, narrating, nature walks/journals, hands-on/experiments, etc..

I haven't looked too thoroughly at the science in all the years, but like I said, there's plenty in ECC, and adding or exploring rabbit trails is easy with book basket.

I hope someone else chimes in for you.

:)

Melissa

Agreeing with all this, as well as what Crystal said. And realize, too, that as you go farther along in each year of MFW, you'll do more as you build upon previous year's skills. For example, from Rome to Reformation on you do TWO sciences per year for the elementary kids, not just one. They recommend Apologia for 7th & up.

I think the science in Adventures looks doable. In the fall, when we do Adventures, I am planning on adding another science for my science loving, astronomy-loving child. We are adding Real Science Odyssey Earth and Space, which won't make it over the top, un-doable.

If you plan to stick with MFW following Adventures, realize that you'll get earth science in ECC, and then Astronomy in RTR. You might want to instead consider supplementing the science in Adventures with the optional extras that have already been suggested instead of adding another whole "complete" science curriculum.

If you plan to stick with MFW following Adventures, realize that you'll get earth science in ECC, and then Astronomy in RTR. You might want to instead consider supplementing the science in Adventures with the optional extras that have already been suggested instead of adding another whole "complete" science curriculum.

Thank you for the insight on this. I am hoping to continue with MFW ECC. It depends on how DS and I like it. I like it on paper, but we shall see how it works in actuality.

Hmmm, my science-loving kid would probably still want more science and experiments and such. Maybe I should look at RSO Life...

Thank you for the insight on this. I am hoping to continue with MFW ECC. It depends on how DS and I like it. I like it on paper, but we shall see how it works in actuality. We won't do all the bird things in MFW ADv science. We don't want to get in a habit of feeding the birds on our property and then have them become dependant upon it.

Hmmm, my science-loving kid would probably still want more science and experiments and such. Maybe I should look at RSO Life...

We're doing Adventures now.

Science is 2 days a week. It is easy and fun. It is hands on.

I think the Science falls right in line with the whole Charlotte Mason "feel" that MFW follows.

Honestly after fretting, adding, changing, buying science programs for my older DS, I now realize he really retained very little of the "meat" of all of that science in the early years. We had some great programs too! Sure, he has bit and pieces,in the end, what he learns in the middle school and high school grades will probably be more in depth and stay with him longer in life than elementary science.

So now on my 2nd round through elementary, for us, Science is about exploring and fun, and MFW is just that!

Honestly after fretting, adding, changing, buying science programs for my older DS, I now realize he really retained very little of the "meat" of all of that science in the early years. We had some great programs too! Sure, he has bit and pieces,in the end, what he learns in the middle school and high school grades will probably be more in depth and stay with him longer in life than elementary science.

:iagree: I didn't do all that fretting and fussing about science in the early years.... matter of fact, I did very little science at all with my oldest until about 6th grade. Between 6th & 8th she did MFW science, Apologia General, threw an Abeka science text in there somewhere (just read independently, didn't *do* anything with it), and read a lot of living science books. Now as a 9th grader more than halfway through Apologia Biology, she's ACE'ing the course and LOVES it.