Menu

Geography question/History credit?

I'd like my son to take a geography class from the Potter's School next year.

I hear the teacher is good. The class though says it's for 7th-8th graders. But there is no "geography" class for Freshman and up. We live overseas, and I think he'd really benefit from this class.

I read that geography is accepted as a History/Social science credit for most colleges. Would there be any problem in taking this class his freshman year and getting 1.0 credit for it? (he's not going to be a history major but needs 3-4 credits for the colleges we are looking into).

My plan would be for his history:

Freshman-Geography

Sophomore-US History

Junior-World History

Senior- maybe ART History? (not sure)

Thanks for any help...

In some areas, middle school includes 7th, 8th, and 9th, and a general middle school course might therefore be okay for 9th grade as well. Sometimes, when choosing between a middle school text or a high school text for my 9th grader, I would choose the middle school text because I felt it was clearer to understand. If it just didn't seem to live up to 9th grade rigor, however, I would add more to the course -- special projects, supplemental reading, etc.

They do have a high school geography course, it's the first one on this page:

http://registration.pottersschool.org/w/731.jsp

History and Social Science are listed separately for high school, and geography is listed with social science.

Thanks, some how I totally missed this :)

BTW: any experience with this class?

I'm trying to decide if this would be the better option than the 7th-8th grade one. The 7th-8th is using a text actually written by the teacher, Brenda Runkle, so I'm thinking that might be better, but I haven't heard any news about this HS course, so anyone with experience out there, please comment.

Thanks again.

In some areas, middle school includes 7th, 8th, and 9th, and a general middle school course might therefore be okay for 9th grade as well. Sometimes, when choosing between a middle school text or a high school text for my 9th grader, I would choose the middle school text because I felt it was clearer to understand. If it just didn't seem to live up to 9th grade rigor, however, I would add more to the course -- special projects, supplemental reading, etc.

Thanks, my gut is telling me that the class could always be "meated" up, but taking a higher level class might be too much with so many other classes going on...hmmmm.