Menu

Inspired by the honey thread: toothpaste.

The bathroom counter in the boys' bathroom looks like they deliberately squeezed it all out in little patches, smeared it on the faucet and the sinks, with some spilled on the floor for good measure. It is amazingly bad. I almost took a picture the other day. They are also unable to keep caps on toothpaste because they gum up the end so badly.

The "As Seen on TV" toothpaste dispensers are a pita to clean. They drip toothpaste onto the lever, and the kids still end up getting toothpaste everywhere. Whenever they get ready for bed, it starts with the youngest and goes up. If there is any mess in the bathroom, the child has to tell the previous child to clean it. If I see a mess, the oldest has to clean it. If it was not her mess, then she should have told the previous child.

The kid with the bathroom as a chore has "Toothpaste Tuesday" where she has to clean the walls/doors/etc of toothpaste. She does a good job. :)

OK so when my kids abuse the tube of toothpaste I don't replace it with another tube. They get a box of baking soda for the rest of the month. :D

I only ever give them the small travel toothpaste tubes because they can't draw murals with that small amount. Each child has their own and is encouraged not to share as the babies are apt to suck on the end once or twice before they learn not to.

The learning curve is still there for each age group. But the older kids usually only have to have one round of this before they learn to hide their toiletry kit in their drawer. :D Their tube is safe!

I'm glad to hear this doesn't happen only in my house! My kids don't do it deliberately, and I get them to help clean it up, but if it takes elbow grease for me to get it off, they really don't stand a chance!

Nice to hear other's strategies for dealing with this!