Menu

Do you have a doctor with a magic door, too?

You know the one that cures your child as he walks into the waiting room for his urgent care appointment, leaving you stuttering to your pediatrician that you swear he had a high fever just 15 minutes ago. Or has been complaining that his arm hurts for the past 18 hours and refusing to use it? :glare:

Yes, our doctors' surgery is just like that. Last time it was Mr7 curled up in fetal position whimpering in pain on and off for 2 days because his ear apparently hurt so much. Come Friday afternoon, I thought it was probably an infection bad enough to warrant antibiotic treatment, so I called up and begged the medical receptionist to fit us in before the weekend. 20 minutes later, ear feels fine, but I drag him to the doctor anyway because I don't want to have to try and get a prescription over the weekend. Doctor has a look and diagnoses a little bit of earwax buildup. :glare:

Yes!!! My doctor just laughs and tells me that instead of making an appointment, I should just bring my kid into the waiting room and sit for a few minutes....their symptoms will magically disappear LOL!

LOL

My pediatrician doesn't have a magic door, but I wish she did. I hope your baby feels stays better. :)

My children are exactly like me...we hate needles and all thing needle/poking/injection related with the fire of a thousand suns. So, my kids, though they have no reason to believe that any illness is necessarily going to result in a shot, have "white coat" nervousness. I am convinced that they would be miraculously cured of PLAGUE at the sight of the doctor!

Faith

The yelling, the playing, the fun and laughter... When we were there last week, the kids were crawling under the waiting room chairs as though they were a tunnel. The nurse thought there was little chance they had strep like their sibling because they didn't even look tired, let alone ill. So I waited till the next day, and went back to do it all again. They had strep all right, every last one of the six of them. Plus me. :glare:

My 20 m/o at the time had blood clots and blood in his diaper for over 12 hours. I finally get him in, and nothing! The doctor thought maybe he had a uti, prescribed an antibiotic, and sent us home. When we got home, more blood in the diaper! I don't know what it is about the doctor's office, but it sure has a way of making me look stupid. :glare:

Yes I have had that happen. I had just had dd , and my then 4 year old, fell and hurt his leg. he didn't walk for 2 days, he wasn't in any pain , just wouldn't walk. I took him to the doctor's, I pushed him in the pram, as I couldn't lift anything. I had to push him up several steps to get into the doctors at the same time as carrying the new baby and directing the 2 year old. the doctor reached out and almost touched his leg. he shot out of the pram and didn't stop running until he was out of the doctor's office and into the weighting room. I told the doctor that he must have miraculous powers of healing. He wasn't very amused and thought I had made the whole thing up.

I have no idea what was wrong with my son's leg, but it was a bit of a week leg for the next few years. He has no problems with it now ( 10 years later)

Edited by melissaL

I'm very fortunate that when the doctor's "Magic Door" strikes my doctor still listens to what I have to say. He's a gem. I drive 30 minutes 1 way to get to him. We started going there because it was the only clinic "in the area" that our insurance covered. I keep going there, although we now have more choices, because he's that good. We're trying to move out of state, and one of the more stressful parts is thinking trying to get a new pediatrician & OB!

My kids have all done this and I chalk it up to the fact that they are excited to be out of the house and having some alone time with mom.

I took my DD(5 at the time) to Urgent Care once because her fever was registering 106. We got there and she was joking and smiling and the nurse said, "When was her fever that high?"

"It's that high now." I told her.

She looked at me all sorts of cross-eyed and down her nose and then took DD's temp.

Nurse was shocked.

Yep we have had that happen a few times. Thankfully my kids ped knows us very well and will listen to me. He also knows that if I call or bring the kids in then it has to be something "real" because he knows how I feel about going to doctors-LOL.

As a kid, I was known to be a new doctor's initiation patient because I was that bad (my dad used to wrap me in a blanket and then tie me with straps so I couldn't run or kick.. if he could have muzzled me he would have-LOL). I will only go when I am more scared of the "what if" than going to the doctor... and that isn't often. But going in for well visits or routine maintenance for my asthma I am fine.

Nope, not anymore.. that happened occasionally way back when, but now that we are without insurance, we only go in when it is really important to.... Wheezing issues, broken bones, growths, etc... :tongue_smilie: Thankfully we've avoided the killer high fevers....

Edited by lcelmer

This reminds me of when my oldest was a toddler and had croup. One of the "treatments" the doctor suggested was "a drive to the ER". He had listed various of the other standard suggestions (humidifier, steam from a hot shower, holding his face in the freezer to breathe the cold air), and said, "But if those don't work, just put him in the car and drive to the ER. ... He'll be fine by the time you get there." ;)

This reminds me of when my oldest was a toddler and had croup. One of the "treatments" the doctor suggested was "a drive to the ER". He had listed various of the other standard suggestions (humidifier, steam from a hot shower, holding his face in the freezer to breathe the cold air), and said, "But if those don't work, just put him in the car and drive to the ER. ... He'll be fine by the time you get there." ;)

There's a little truth to that one - sometimes the extended time in the cool night air can do the trick. :)