Menu

? for those who run Parallels on Mac

We are going to need another school computer in the next 6 months or so. I have a Mac laptop I love, but I refuse to put PC anything on it. Our next computer will be a desktop (really like the bigger screen), and I thought it would be another PC, but dh said we could get an IMAC. We will have to use Parallels (or something) for windows because we use Homeschool Tracker and some other software that is only PC friendly. I want to use Parallels rather than Bootcamp so we can switch back and forth easily. I don't print their schedule they need to access their schedule on the computer.

I am wondering am I going to start having all the update and virus headaches that we get with our current PC? I would like internet browsing and everything else that can, run on the Mac side. Also would it be better to get Windows XP or 7? My current old Dell came with XP service pack 1, which is updated to 3, but I don't think I can use it for something else.

I would love to hear from anyone with experience with this.

Thanks everyone. About Bootcamp. Is it true that you have to restart the computer each time you have to run it?

Also do you need to install anti virus, spyware, and make sure your firewall is working? Our internet provider (Road Runner) gives us a package of these as a customer. I am assuming the PC boot would run just like a PC. Do I understand correctly?

I know you didn't ask about alternatives, but I recently got an iMac and like you, I have refused to put anything Windows on it. I miss my HST, but am really liking Planbook for all of our HS planning needs. It is made for school teachers but is easily adaptable to hs-ing IMO. There is a Yahoo! group that was very helpful to me when setting up my schedules.

G/L :)

Edited by FindingLaurie
I can't spell today!

• 4 weeks later...
I know you didn't ask about alternatives, but I recently got an iMac and like you, I have refused to put anything Windows on it. I miss my HST, but am really liking Planbook for all of our HS planning needs. It is made for school teachers but is easily adaptable to hs-ing IMO. There is a Yahoo! group that was very helpful to me when setting up my schedules.

G/L :)

I just looked into it and downloaded the free trial. I do not want any PC thing on my Mac, but am in need to have a planner. So, were you able to set the planbook up for your homeschool needs? How many children do you have on it? Do you mind sharing any knowledge you have acquired by using it?

Thanks. Be well

Miriam