Menu

How is honey dispensed in your house?

We get a gallon of honey each year and it comes in two/half gallon jugs. We dispense this into pint jars for storage and out comes a pint. I use a mason pint jar with the pretty image of fruit on the front, melt a little wax from an old candle onto a wide mouth lid, and quick set the honey jar down onto that lid (lid is rubber side up). It catches all of the dribbles. Once a few dribbles have made it to the bottom and dispensed around the edge of the jar, I don't have to worry about the kids leaving it on the range top or some other really warm place. It wouldn't matter if the wax softened or not, that sticky honey will keep the unit together. I then use a plastic, screw on cap (usually kept in the canning supplies area of Meijer, Target, or Walmart) for the top. I leave a metal teaspoon with a long handle (sundae cup spoon) next to the jar on the lid. One dip in the honey and it sticks to the lid all by itself. Every couple of days, I run the teaspoon through the dishwasher.

Faith

I use a little glass bottle that you would find syrup in in a diner. We buy it in a gallon jug from our "honey guy," and I fill the little dispenser up. It has the little metal part that slides over the nozzle. That keeps it from dripping.

Okay, how do you keep gallon jugs from becoming crystalized before use?

How do we keep it from getting sticky? Well, we use the dispenser that comes with the honey bottle. The honey will not come out unless the container is squeezed, some sort of valve is there. I get my honey at Walgreens when they run the coupon for $3.99. It is a good size bottle of it for that price and it helps keep my sanity for the kitchen counter not getting sticky!

Well, the honey is a mess here, too, so... :bigear:

But I initially misread the title line of your post and found myself thinking, I could use a money dispenser... Only one that is magically replenished. Just had our February budget planning meeting so I guess that's top of mind.

And how much does a gallon cost? I'd love to use local honey as it's supposed to help with allergies too, but it's soooooooooo expensive! Angela I love the little diner dispenser idea.

They're free. :D Our honey guy is my mom's tax client, and she picks it up for us. She never lets us pay for it. We also get free maple syrup, because we go visit family with my parents in upper MI each year, and my dad always insists on paying for our year's worth. And another of my mother's clients gives us free laying hens every other year. And my fil gives us a side of beef each Christmas. We are pretty spoiled. It really is a blessing!!

We went to visit the honey farm a few years ago, but I don't remember how much it was. Bee people are generally health food type people, interesting and informative. It'd be worth buying from them, even if it cost more. :D