Menu

Is "curriculum hopping" a sign that you are working with a special needs child?

rafiki

No, I don't think so...I think I go through lots of curriculum because of my own boredom, inadequacies, or insecurity in my choices. Sometimes I buy stuff and just can't get a grip on where it is going and why i have to do it that way. I have learned I do much better with very simple programs that I can either embellish or just get through. My kids do better with that as well....but, i think most time the failure of the curriculum is more on my end than the kids end.

Faithe

I do wonder though, if going through a lot more curriculum then the average homeschooler is a sign in itself that you are not dealing with a typical student.

This reflects my experience with my kids, but with the proviso that my SN hser is older. By the time dd started schooling, I'd tried a lot of curricula with ds, so I didn't have to test stuff out as much with her. As dd moves ahead of ds, it will be interesting to see if I'm better at picking curricula that fits or if I have to test drive a lot of things to find what works for her.

I've put in my time on the curriculum-hopping trampoline, so no tomatoes here. However, I have also learned to recognize when it is me that is the problem, not the books. :grouphug:

:iagree: I've also found that when a curriculum really works for ME, I can adapt it for all of my children. Also I've regretted leaving what worked well for my oldest (and I) in favor of jumping around. We always ended up losing more ground than we gained. I've learned we're better off simply going back in the book and reviewing rather than jumping ship.

I don't think it's a sign, either. I think it just depends on how easily a curriculum can be adapted to different kids and different learning styles. I know that if I ever wanted to bring DD home, I'd be facing a whole new set of challenges, and either I would have to adapt or I'd have two completely different sets of curriculum to handle, and that's just not something I even want to imagine :)

I do wonder though, if going through a lot more curriculum then the average homeschooler is a sign in itself that you are not dealing with a typical student.

I do not have the expertise to answer your question, only my own experience, but our DS1 is not "typical", and I have had to experiment with a lot of different things to find a combination that can help him make any progress at all.

In my years of homeschooling, I've decided that most of the time curriculum hopping boils down to one of two things: insecurity or boredom. Only very rarely is a program truly incompatible with a student. Some books/curriculum might take more time to implement, but in the hands of a good teacher, anything can work, kwim?

Perhaps I am just not a good teacher, but it has not been my experience with our son that "anything can work" for him. It hasn't been his tutor's experience with him either and it's been frustrating for her, and she has many years of experience. It's been really hard to find approaches and ideas that work for him.

Edited by laundrycrisis

I think it depends on the situation and the kids, and what the parent is comfortable with. I am still using the 2002 SL LA I bought for my oldest. But I do modify it with tons of other ideas from a variety of other programs so that it fits my son's needs. For me it is easier to use something that I know inside and out and modify it than find and learn something new.

But while I don't necessarily hop from one thing to another in totality, I have in the end used a lot and have a lot of programs in the house. When SL LA K didn't have my 2nd dd reading I tried Reading Reflex. When it didn't work any better I went back and re-started SL LA K and found SWR at the same time. I started using SWR for spelling, but continued with SL for reading. Then several years later my 3rd dd's needs forced me to consider AAS for spelling instead of SWR. Then still later because of my ds's needs I have found LiPS, Seeing Stars, and tried Barton Reading. In the end I have taken what works in each and apply it to what we are doing, using SL to set our pace but tools from all of the above programs.

It is interesting to think about....

Heather