Menu

missing mp3 - How do I handle this?

Sometime after my daughter's birthday party, she discovered that her mp3 player was missing. Her headphones were in her bedroom, and the two had always been attached, but suddenly the player was gone.

It wasn't an iPod, or anything fancy, but it did cost $100, not money I can throw away. Besides, the player was actually mine before I passed it on to her, so I still feel some ownership over it.

This isn't the first time my daughter's belongings have walked away. Last summer, while at music practice at her church, my daughter "lost" an expensive ice-skating vest with a $5 bill in the pocket. We went searching for the garment before we even left church and it was gone.

Now, my daughter is a normal kid, and does have trouble keeping track of her things, but there is something different about these dissappearances. My gut feeling is these items had help walking away.

So what do I do? I really want the mp3 player back, and if one of my daughter's friends has sticky fingers, I really want to be aware of it for the future. OTOH, most parents don't take kindly to the suggestion that their child may be a thief.

Could you put in a call to all dd's birthday guests asking them to check their bags to see if the MP3 accidentally ended up in one of them while everyone was packing up their things? Perhaps somebody mistook it for theirs and accidentally walked off with it? That way, you're not accusing...just looking, KWIM? If you phrase it as such...that your dd had it on the floor or wherever and are concerned it might have gotten swept up with somebody's clothes...hopefully people won't think you are accusing. Oh, I'd ask the parents this..not the kids b/c if one did have sticky fingers...they are less likely to "fess up". Explain that the MP3 was really yours, too, that dd was just borrowing it. That might make a difference. Not sure. Good luck...hope you find it!