Menu

Has anyone designed lesson plans based on Core Knowledge Science?

Halcyon

I am designing lesson plans based on the Core Knowledge Science guidelines, and I thought if others were doing or had done this, we could work together. Right now I am working on Grade 3, but will start on Grade 1 and Grade 4. I know there are lesson plans available online, and they're useful, but I find they're really geared towards a large classroom...I want mine to be a bit easier LOL.

If anyone is working on this, please post :)

Well, I did it for grade 1 but I did it simply. I put a lot more work into the history stuff and by the time I tackled science I wanted less work for me. That said, for grade 1 anyway, I felt the experiments and activities in the lesson plans available for most topics were very good and I didn't feel most were problematic in terms of large group instruction bent. I mostly used the Colorado plans and only went to others if I didn't like what Colorado offered for science.

I added book ideas, videos (from online) for the topic, and in some cases (ecosystems comes to mind) I used other plans or activities I found more interesting/engaging.

I'd love to see what you have! I will pm you later today. I am busy creating 3rd grade lesson plans, with links to videos, pdfs, etc -it will take me a while I'm sure but I am almost done with animal classification (the first section) so i can share it with you if you'd like!

• 1 month later...

This resource may help with your CK planning. I have noticed that several of the CK charter schools seem use the FOSS science program. It is rather an expensive program to buy, although their Science in a Nutshell kits seem to be reasonably priced. However, the program's companion website, FOSS Web, lists subjects/topics that you can align with the Sequence without having to buy the FOSS program. You should be able to find most of their suggested resources for each topic at your local library or through inter-library loan. This link is for the 3-6 Module (Grades 3-6), but there is a lower level and a higher level, too. It features media resources (books, videos, etc.) by subject/topic here; parent/teacher resources, like the 'home/school connection' PDF, which is very helpful, and lists module-related project ideas, writing prompts, etc.; and a few other educational goodies, like online games, too. Have fun exploring!

http://www.fossweb.com/modules3-6/index.html

Edited by papillon

I just wanted to add that I sat down today and organized the Core Knowledge Science 1 with McRuffy Color Science 1 and managed to combine the two pretty well by breaking up the order that McRuffy is published in. I already had McRuffy here and I was unsure whether to send it back and try something else (it was not quite as much as I was expecting for the price!) and yet, most of the topics covered by McRuffy match up with CK for first grade. It will be nice to have unit studies of the CK science sequence in place so we can learn about ocean life or electricity but have the McRuffy to fall back on for easy lessons a couple days a week and then just add in books, crafts and field trips as they fit in with whatever unit we're doing.

I also found a couple Evan Moor units that match well, one for Beginning Geology 1-3 and one for The Human Body 1-3, that will work as additional content that I am not getting in McRuffy. I like the idea of striking out on my own, but I'm a very new homeschooler, very busy with general daily life and have very young children so I need something concrete and established in workbook/teacher manual type form to keep me more on track. I am anticipating dropping Dinosaurs which is part of the CK recommendations because neither my daughter or I are excited about the topic and will work in life cycles instead and focus in on the life cycle of a plant, a butterfly and an animal of some kind so she sees how various life forms grow from infancy to maturity. Hopefully we'll be able to do one mini-unit per month (there are 8 units).

I hope this works out!

Edited by drexel