Menu

Thinkwell Biology... (Khan Academy and Hippocampus with Christian text)

Would you all tell me about Thinkwell biology? It doesn't look as frequently used as other DVD teaching, but I think I like it. I'd be interested to find out:

• the difference between AP and regular biology
  • what biology text I could use with Thinkwell (if I just used the CDs)
  • How it compares to other high school biology courses (Campbell's, Miller-Levine, etc...)
  • Pros? Cons?

Where am I going with this?...... So many use a secular text in order to cover evolution topics. I'm really curious IF a Christian text (like Science Shepherd.... very interested in this one) could be used while incorporating a secular video series like Thinkwell. (Think of the way DIVE is used to supplement a variety of texts.) I understand why some would use a secular text, yet I just want to give the Christian text a chance especially if I can compare/contrast evolution and Creationism within a context I'm more comfortable with.

I've also thought about using a Christian text with Khan Academy or Hippocampus.

Can you all tell me how you feel about Thinkwell in particular? Can you suggest ways to pair Christian text with Thinkwell, Khan Academy, or Hippocampus?

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

So far for us Thinkwell biology has been "ok". Not great. But it beats having to slog through a textbook. It hasn't so far struck me as being terribly rigorous -- except now and then, but then he doesn't really go into the depth I'd think you might want for, say, an AP level class. You'd probably have to go to a book for that. The lecturer is mostly pretty engaging, so that is an advantage.

We're only finishing up the biochem part, but so far, the end of lecture questions are pretty awful. Either there was no preparation for them in the lecture or they were silly questions or they had wrong answers. If you want reinforcement with study questions, or if you want tests, I wouldn't recommend these for that.

The difference I think you'd mainly see in AP vs regular bio is just that less stuff would be covered. You'd probably spend more time on each topic on the assumption that the student hadn't seen it before, and/or you wouldn't go into each topic in such depth. There'd also be a lot more leeway in what you did cover in "regular" biology. In AP, you'd have to follow the topics the college board has laid out. Also, AP bio assumes a chem background, so if you did "regular" bio you might go a bit light on some of the biochem.

We're using Thinkwell as a 2nd yr of bio, but I don't think we're going to do the AP test. The college my daughter wants to go to doesn't accept the credit anyway.

I've been fairly impressed with the chem lectures that Gordon Yee does (in the chem Thinkwell), although not with the other guy who lectures in that series.

The sample calc lectures I've seen also look ok (although, once again, I'm less than impressed with the after-lecture questions. I think I'd need to use a book for that.)

So far for us Thinkwell biology has been "ok". Not great. But it beats having to slog through a textbook. It hasn't so far struck me as being terribly rigorous -- except now and then, but then he doesn't really go into the depth I'd think you might want for, say, an AP level class. You'd probably have to go to a book for that. The lecturer is mostly pretty engaging, so that is an advantage.

We're only finishing up the biochem part, but so far, the end of lecture questions are pretty awful. Either there was no preparation for them in the lecture or they were silly questions or they had wrong answers. If you want reinforcement with study questions, or if you want tests, I wouldn't recommend these for that.

The difference I think you'd mainly see in AP vs regular bio is just that less stuff would be covered. You'd probably spend more time on each topic on the assumption that the student hadn't seen it before, and/or you wouldn't go into each topic in such depth. There'd also be a lot more leeway in what you did cover in "regular" biology. In AP, you'd have to follow the topics the college board has laid out. Also, AP bio assumes a chem background, so if you did "regular" bio you might go a bit light on some of the biochem.

We're using Thinkwell as a 2nd yr of bio, but I don't think we're going to do the AP test. The college my daughter wants to go to doesn't accept the credit anyway.

I've been fairly impressed with the chem lectures that Gordon Yee does (in the chem Thinkwell), although not with the other guy who lectures in that series.

The sample calc lectures I've seen also look ok (although, once again, I'm less than impressed with the after-lecture questions. I think I'd need to use a book for that.)

Thanks so much for answering my question, Emubird. Thinkwell biology isn't mentioned a lot in this forum. There is obviously a reason for that. I have seen Thinkwell chemistry mentioned several times.

The bio teacher does look engaging. It's a shame bio isn't as well done. It seems to have great potential.

Well..... the reason I posted this question was to see if it made sense to use a Christian biology text with a secular supplement. I know that many here like to teach from a secular biology book so that the topic of evolution can be discussed at home before hearing it in college. I just feel better teaching from a Christian text and adding in evolution rather than teaching from a secular text and adding in Creation..... I need a good reference to help me if we choose the secular text.

I thought maybe Thinkwell, Hippocampus, or Khan Academy might work as supplements if we choose a Christian text.

I'd still love to hear more about all this.....

Any other thoughts/opinions????:bigear:

I've been watching them myself and think they are very good!

Michelle, please tell me what you are using!:001_smile: AP or regular??? Why do you like it?

Do you use it as intended... as a stand-alone curriculum... or do you add a textbook? Which one?

What about secular vs. Christian (evolution vs. Creationism) in biology? Do you try to cover both in biology?

Thanks so much for responding!

Sweet, have you tried doing a free trial subscription to Thinkwell? You can sign up for as many classes as you want, but just get access to a portion of the course. I found it very helpful in deciding if it is for us or not. I watched a couple of Biology lectures and thought they were good, but since it is supposed to be stand alone, I didn't think it was a good fit for my book loving ds. You should really watch some samples there, at hippocampus and at Khan and see whose teaching style you like and if Thinkwell is worth adding. It is such a personal decision.

I still haven't taken the time to watch hippocampus lectures. I know whatever book I get I'll throw in Khan Academy or hippocampus lectures though. I think the question becomes, if you are going to use the video to supplement a book, do you like Thinkwell enough more than the others to pay for the subscription. If not, stick with the free sites and go back to picking your book. :D

Michelle, please tell me what you are using!:001_smile: AP or regular??? Why do you like it?

Do you use it as intended... as a stand-alone curriculum... or do you add a textbook? Which one?

What about secular vs. Christian (evolution vs. Creationism) in biology? Do you try to cover both in biology?

Thanks so much for responding!

I don't use it for homeschooling. I'm studying to become a middle school science teacher (have my science degree).

From looking at the table of contents of Thinkwell regular vs AP quickly, I didn't see a difference. I bought a cheap version of the Thinkwell bio dvds from Amazon ($25); they are a bit of a pain to access (going back to the table of contents to view the next lesson) but WORTH the $25. If we were to use them for homeschooling I would definitely buy it from Thinkwell - it's worth the $125 plus addition price for the dvds, imho.

I have PH Biology, Miller/Levine, textbook with the dragonfly on the cover. Thinkwell biology covers WAY more biology than my dc did last year in his soph. biology class at his private school (they use the PH Biology book).

I don't like homeschool Christian science texts so that's never been my concern.

Watch the online samples at Thinkwell - they are all in the same format. Dr. Wolfe talking with whiteboard notes, pictures, and some of him doing hands on demonstrations. Dr. Wolfe is very exgaging and even funny at times. He's very enthusiastic about biology. I REALLY like this format!

I'm also watching Joy of Science from The Teaching Company. The content of this course is excellent for a well-rounded science education, but I like Dr. Wolfe and the Thinkwell biology format better.

I couldn't stand the DIVE guy's voice/board so that was never an option for me. But you might consider using DIVE biology.

I don't use it for homeschooling. I'm studying to become a middle school science teacher (have my science degree).

From looking at the table of contents of Thinkwell regular vs AP quickly, I didn't see a difference. I bought a cheap version of the Thinkwell bio dvds from Amazon ($25); they are a bit of a pain to access (going back to the table of contents to view the next lesson) but WORTH the $25. If we were to use them for homeschooling I would definitely buy it from Thinkwell - it's worth the $125 plus addition price for the dvds, imho.

I have PH Biology, Miller/Levine, textbook with the dragonfly on the cover. Thinkwell biology covers WAY more biology than my dc did last year in his soph. biology class at his private school (they use the PH Biology book).

I don't like homeschool Christian science texts so that's never been my concern.

Watch the online samples at Thinkwell - they are all in the same format. Dr. Wolfe talking with whiteboard notes, pictures, and some of him doing hands on demonstrations. Dr. Wolfe is very exgaging and even funny at times. He's very enthusiastic about biology. I REALLY like this format!

I'm also watching Joy of Science from The Teaching Company. The content of this course is excellent for a well-rounded science education, but I like Dr. Wolfe and the Thinkwell biology format better.

I couldn't stand the DIVE guy's voice/board so that was never an option for me. But you might consider using DIVE biology.

This is so helpful! In your opinion, what would suggest (from Thinkwell) for a 9th grader who has completed BJU Life Science? I know you don't really like Christian text biology, but you must know this biology is very thorough. It is known to be rigorous for 7th grade. It started with parts of a cell and goes through anatomy.