Menu

What would you use for a study on the history of science?

Ds12 is finishing Earth Science (PH Science Explorer), and will do Life Science next year (maybe CPO or PH SE). I thought it would be fun to do a quick History of Science class. Nothing too in-depth, just a quick overview with corresponding experiments and some reading. We have Hakim's The Story of Science, but it is too in-depth. Ds tends to get lost in the details. We also have DK's Great Scientists for a reference book.

Has anyone used Beautiful Feet's History of Science? I'm thinking the books might be too easy. Are the experiments interesting, and easy to implement?

I was also thinking about the Thames & Kosmos Classic Science Milestones in Science. It looks like fun, but sometimes kits can be disappointing.

Ds loves science experiments. He will put up with some reading and writing, but he much prefers hands-on! Any ideas?

Have you considered Apologia's 7th Grade General Science? The first module (30 pages) is about the history of science, the second module is about scientific inquiry (14 pages) and the third module is about analyzing and interpreting experiments (15 pages). Of course, there are 12 additional modules for the entire course, but it starts out with that strong foundation. Maybe you could buy the textbook used and just use the first three modules???

This course evidently has a lot of text, so a visual learner would need to have supplements to add interest, but that is what we usually do anyway -- add videos, Internet and picture books to whatever we do in science. We plan to use the course for 7th grade next year. Actually, it was the first module about the history of science that drew me to it in the first place.

Blessings,

Lucinda

We also have DK's Great Scientists for a reference book.

Has anyone used Beautiful Feet's History of Science? I'm thinking the books might be too easy. Are the experiments interesting, and easy to implement?

I was also thinking about the Thames & Kosmos Milestones in Science. It looks like fun, but sometimes kits can be disappointing.

Ds loves science experiments. He will put up with some reading and writing, but he much prefers hands-on! Any ideas?

I have all of these.

We used BF History of Science and completed it in 1 semester. We loved it! There are experiments for each scientist - maybe about 1 per week. I also supplemented with Great Scientists in Action for more experiments.

I'll be happy to sell you my Thames & Kosmos Classic Science Milestones in Science kit if you'd like it. :) It's not chronological, so it was too much work for me to coordinate it with BF. There is so much in the box it's also overwhelming. I shouldn't judge it, because I haven't used any of it, it might be perfect for a child (especially thinking of a boy) who likes to dig into this type of kit.

Anyway, we'd give two thumbs up for Beautiful Feet History of Science.