Menu

Is there a DVD or other lecture/teaching component available for Lial's?

I'd like to find a good sequence for pre-Alg, Alg 1 & 2, Geometry that is solid, challenging college-prep...just not for math whizzes. I'm just not wowed by TT and even though ChalkDust looks so good to me, I'm worried it's going to be *too* rigorous for my average-in-math kiddos. I think a DVD component or at least something with worked out problems for my kids to SEE is going to be crucial going forward. We are really swamped in Alg. 1 here, for some reason.

So, Lial's has always been on my radar and I forget if someone put out an instructional DVD for these or some other help for me if things get hairy.

Or another suggestion?

I have the Interact Math set for Pre-Algebra set sitting here on my desk.. unfortunately I can't look at it because it won't seem to work on my new mac. It says that it is a digital tutor, consisting of problems that you can work along with video clips.

This is all I know of so far; hopefully someone else will chime in!

The isbns are on the BACK of the student text.

The video lessons (watched on a computer) are called DVTs (Digital Video Tutor).

The older editions (7th and below) may not work on today's computers--unless you have a very old model... The 8th and 9th editions work well-- they re-worked the DVTs for the 9th editions and they show some of the test solutions as well has the "lessons examples" worked out by grad students. Nothing fancy--but a help for more visual learners.

The text's lessons are COMPLETE-- they contain the WHOLE lesson--lots of examples (where most texts only have a few small examples and rely on a teacher to fill in the rest).

I would NOT want to watch a video for every lesson--but they are a nice support to have 'just in case'-- and the set is around $35.

Each lesson in Lial is considered 2 days worth of practice (odds only assigned for daily work and ALL problems assigned for summaries and chapter reviews). I use the tests from the book as well.

Lial has 2 DIFFERENT series through the same publisher. I prefer the developmental one (also known as the paperback)-- because it has sample problems in the margins and the FONT is a much nicer size--writing on pages is spread out comfortably....

This is the series I chose for my online math classes. It works well with average AND above average students-- slower students can still be successful as I used it with my oldest dd who has learning differences (Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 took 2 years EACH).

I like Basic College Math for Pre-Algebra (although there is also a Pre-Algebra text as well)--both of these cover the same basic material--but BCM shows the WHOLE concept so it is great for filling in any gaps before Algebra 1.

Introductory Algebra is Algebra 1

Intermediate Algebra is Algebra 2

Lial does have a Geometry course that is fine-- (no videos available) but most use a different program for Geometry. I use Holt 2007 in my classes.

Pre-Calc is also available-- and is a VERY good program too.

Edited by Jann in TX

(I wrote a longer post that has mysteriously disappeared!)

Thank you so much! I am currently researching this for ds 14. He works hard, but still struggles with concepts. He is very visual, so having some onscreen help would be beneficial. Do you think the newer versions are as good as the older ones? I have heard that the 7th ed. is really good, but have not heard much about the newer ed. Having the DVT's that work for us would definitely sway me towards the newer ones!

Again, thank you!!

I have the 7th and 8th editions of the 'paperback' series-- they had to make just enough changes to 'warrant' students having to purchase a new instead of used text... The chapters are in a slightly different order but most of the lessons AND homework/tests are IDENTICAL.

I still plan on using the 8th edition one more year-- after that I'll move to the 9th edition as those will be 'used' and inexpensive...

I'd rather pay $10 for an older text (5 years or so) instead of $100 for the latest if the insides were practically the same!

I have the 7th and 8th editions of the 'paperback' series-- they had to make just enough changes to 'warrant' students having to purchase a new instead of used text... The chapters are in a slightly different order but most of the lessons AND homework/tests are IDENTICAL.

I still plan on using the 8th edition one more year-- after that I'll move to the 9th edition as those will be 'used' and inexpensive...

I'd rather pay $10 for an older text (5 years or so) instead of $100 for the latest if the insides were practically the same!

Thank you! I have the 6th ed. already, but likely the DVT for the 8th will work better on our computer. Woo hoo!