Menu

zip loc bag science ideas...

we have 3 birthdays to go to this month...i was thinking of making science kits for the kids. i've already bought binoculars and a bird watching book..i'd like to add some science experiments with the supplies in ziploc bags...does anyone have suggestions for what projects and supplies would fit neatly in ziploc bags-either in the sandwich ones or the freezer bags...

i know there is a book that has ideas, but i can't get my hands on the book in time...

thanks,

seema

we have 3 birthdays to go to this month...i was thinking of making science kits for the kids. i've already bought binoculars and a bird watching book..i'd like to add some science experiments with the supplies in ziploc bags...does anyone have suggestions for what projects and supplies would fit neatly in ziploc bags-either in the sandwich ones or the freezer bags...

i know there is a book that has ideas, but i can't get my hands on the book in time...

thanks,

seema

Place a half sandwich in a baggie and place it under the car seat for about a month? :D

An interesting experiment to illustrate making good observations with all appropriate senses and to show that even people who are differently abled can still do science:

In a larger ziploc bag, place:

sandwich-size ziploc bag with plastic spoon and baking soda (enough soda to at least fill spoon)

sandwich-size ziploc bag with plastic spoon and cream of tartar (enough soda to at least fill spoon)

empty sandwich ziploc bag (best if it's the zipper-slider type)

3 oz. disposable cup

paper towel

blindfold

Each kit then needs enough water to half fill the disposable cup. I've used small disposable water bottles before.

One child is blindfolded, and the other reads the directions (without physically helping them do the tasks - it can be difficult to stay hands off and let the blindfolded person do it themselves, another good learning experience):

Direct the blindfolded child to:

1) Lay out all materials so know where they are, feel them to make observations. Do the two powders feel differently through the baggie plastic?

2) Place one spoonful of powder from first powder bag into the empty ziploc bag

3) Place one spoonful of powder from the second powder bag into the empty ziploc bag

4) Fill the disposable cup half full of water (will need to use fingers to dip in water)

5) Place cup into baggie with the two mixed powders without spilling the water. Seal the baggie so it's completely sealed, then shake so that the water spills into the baggie and mixes with the powders.

6) Make observations with sense of hearing and touch.

The bag ends up inflating due to production of carbon dioxide gas, so you can feel it inflate and feel it get "pillowy". One can hear the fizzing as the reaction proceeds. The reaction also feels cold to the touch (it's endothermic).

Erica in OR