Menu

le creuset vs lodge vs rachel ray vs etc

To me there are a fes reasons to buy cast iron cookware.

• Ease of use and clean up. The non-stick coating starts building up with first use. I've got cast iron that is 12 years old and just about as non-stick as Teflon.
  • The addition of natural iron to any food cooked in it.
  • Inexpensive, yet durable. I bought the 3 frying pans I have 12 years ago. There is nothing wrong with them. They will go to my grandchildren if they want them.

With all that in mind I have no use for enameled cast iron. Putting the enamel on the metal defeats to purpose. Plain old Lodge cookware for me.

ETA: Other thoughts: I take my Lodge skillets camping when we go. I value the skillets so much that I put them in the trunk of my car when we move. I don't trust them to the movers.

Edited by Parrothead

I really wanted a Le Creuset - until I discovered (by accident) Griswald cast iron. They are good quality and old. My pans range from about 70 years old to about 100+ years old. I have pots, pans and grills; cookie sheets.

Lodge makes cast iron also and I have a dear friend who loves them.

I like le creuset, but not the price, so I dont own any. My mother has some that was my grandmothers. The coloring on the inside of the saucepan is now a brownish due to grandma burning stuff a few times, but other than that they look really nice.

I have 1 dutch oven from costco-Kirkland Brand that is enameled like le creuset and I have found it to be great. I also got it on coupon, so it was really cheap.

The rest of my cast iron is all lodge. I have the double burner griddle, the wok, and several of their skillets. They work very well, clean up easily, and are inexpensive. I also like that it adds iron to our diet. I highly recommend them.

I did read reviews of the rachel ray stuff before I bought my lodge. I noticed that some reviews complained of cracking and chipping.

If you buy cookware, just look for the made in the US stamp... or rather... because there are other places that make it that I would buy... don't buy the "made in China" stamp. There are reasons.... as to why I believe this is important. The quality of metal is in question.... (this is totally not a snoddy thing that I'm saying...) ;)

I own mostly Staub, which is made in France, all of which I have gotten on clearance (discontinued colors) from Amazon and Cutlery and More. It is on the same par as Le Creuset with some differences. The interior is dark so you can't see how brown food is getting as well (I haven't found it to be an issue) but it also doesn't discolor like the white Le Creuset interior.

I also have one Tramontina-type from Target. I bought it under another name but it is the same pan. I think Tramontina bought them out or something. Cooks Illustrated rated it as good as Le Creuset and it cost me all of $40 on sale. It is my most used pan. It is the light interior and it is discolored but, again, that is not an issue for me.

I have Lodge and also a couple Griswald I inherited from my dad. They are great. But, I have to admit, I love that beautiful LeCreuset. Sometimes I leave it sitting out so I can admire it. :001_smile: It gets used 203 times a week. I got mine on sale; it was a color that was being discontinued. Honestly though, I think you'd be happy with Lodge.

I have a LeCreuset large Dutch Oven that my parents got me for Christmas and then a Martha Stewart small Dutch Oven really on sale and I have to say that I love my LeCreseut. I have used it 2-3x a week since I got it. It cleans up beautifully and cooks everythings so evenly. I also love that I can brown and slow cook meat.

My Dad, who is quite the cook, swears by LeCreseut and says that everything else is inferior. You can find them on sale. I just saw one at Williams and Sonoma 60% off.

I have a pretty substantial collection of cast iron. Most of it is Lodge; one or two items are a generic-but-similar-to-Lodge brand. I love love love it all. Maybe the Le Crueset is even nicer, but I have not been disappointed in what I have and feel no reason to want more expensive stuff. IME, once a cast iron skillet is properly seasoned, it's absolutely wonderful.

Do y'all have smooth top stoves or coil? Cause I hate to admit it, but my favorite pan ever (cast iron handed down from my great grandmother) does scratch my cooktop. I'm looking to replace it and am 'all ears' :bigear:

Margaret

You cannot use regular cast iron on a smooth top range (or at least you aren't supposed to). You can use enameled cast iron, like le creuset, staub, etc. I have done so for years and never had a problem. They do warn you not to drag it across, but carefully pick it up to move it. I'll admit, I have dragged it a little bit, but I have never had a problem with scratching.

I've used cast iron, Staub and Le Creuset on my smooth cooktop and haven't noticed any problems with any of them. Maybe I'm not picky enough to be bothered by small scratches, though (It's patina :001_smile:). Now, DROPPING them would be noticeable -- they're all heavy beasts.

Do y'all have smooth top stoves or coil? Cause I hate to admit it, but my favorite pan ever (cast iron handed down from my great grandmother) does scratch my cooktop. I'm looking to replace it and am 'all ears' :bigear:

Margaret

I think I'd be replacing the stove with a gas top before I'd get rid of my cast iron. :D

You cannot use regular cast iron on a smooth top range (or at least you aren't supposed to). You can use enameled cast iron, like le creuset, staub, etc. I have done so for years and never had a problem. They do warn you not to drag it across, but carefully pick it up to move it. I'll admit, I have dragged it a little bit, but I have never had a problem with scratching.

I use my Lodge stuff on my smooth top range. No problems. If it scratches, I haven't noticed, and I've been doing it for years. The only thing I don't like is that I have a light-colored smooth top, and the cast iron does tend to stain it. But it doesn't affect performance at all.

I've used it at two rentals (the current one and in the cabin) without any problems.

I think I'd be replacing the stove with a gas top before I'd get rid of my cast iron. :D

That was what I was thinking. I'm so looking forward to being in my own house again with a gas stove.

America's Test Kitchen ( Cooks Illustrated) reviewed cast iron Dutch ovens in the recent past and they recomment Tramontina. It's available at Wal Mart. They use it on their show.

I have this and love it.

I also have a Tramontina stainless skillet which I love. Just as good as the comparable All-Clad.