Menu

"Your Baby Can Read" system...Is it just me?

mystika1

Hi,

I was asked the other day why I don't use the "Your Baby Can Read" system for my 3 year old. I babysit a little boy and the mother was thinking about using it with him. Anyway....I looked at it before christmas and it appears to have the the children learning sight words instead of any letter sounds what-so-ever. I am a phonics person myself. Can someone confirm my conclusions?

Thanks,

Penny

I think you are right! It does look impressive when a mom with a toddler who cant ever talk clearly can read a word off the flashcard. Most moms are sold because they their kid is able to "read" it. As you are saying they dont provide basic knowledge of reading. And i am guessing the same kid when older need to go through phonic classes again to understand why the word he knows how to read really sounds that way. I think its a double job at the end for a kid and a parent to learn this way.

:iagree: While there are dc who are ready to read at 3 (not any of mine, although I had one ready at 4), they are in the minority and either read naturally or ought to learn phonics combined with what sight words there are in English (how many there are is not something everyone agrees on;)). While I do have some early learners in my house, I am a fan of teaching dc when they are ready and all 3 of mine are now very strong readers despite the fact that they took off on reading at very different ages, and we did phonics.

There are some good threads on here about phonics vs. whole word. I attended a seminar once for special needs children, and they use the whole-language approach to teach special needs kids to read. They did some demonstrations and everything. When I saw that "Your Baby Can Read" commercial on TV, I immediately recognized it. That is EXACTLY what it is.