Menu

When do your Webleos move up to BS?

What month do they move up?

We have a strange situation where our BS troop is only two 16yos, and my oldest is our only Webelo 2 so there isn't really anywhere to move him up to. But I think they are supposed to move up after they get thier Arrow of Light (which he has and in our old pack was usually in Jan.), and the lady in charge of the BS troop says they shouldn't move up until June.

So when do your boys move up?

Our old pack always crossed boys over to Boy Scouts in March. Actually, the whole district did it this way. It gave them time to get to know the troop before summer camp. Arrow of Light was usually in the late fall, Blue and Gold in Feb, crossover in March.

My son has earned his arrow of light and will move up to Boy Scouts on February 8th--before our Blue and Gold banquet, before the pine car derby, etc. My son is disappointed that he doesn't get to participate in those things. It sounds like it must be something that is done on a pack/troop by pack/troop basis. Our Webelos leader also mentioned to us that if our son didn't like the troop associated with our pack after being there for a while, that he could move to another one. There are PLENTY of Boy Scout troops here, so that wouldn't be a problem. Is there another Boy Scout troop your son could join? You can find others on the Boy Scout website.

Jennifer

AOL was late fall? What did they do the rest of the year?

Dawn

Our old pack always crossed boys over to Boy Scouts in March. Actually, the whole district did it this way. It gave them time to get to know the troop before summer camp. Arrow of Light was usually in the late fall, Blue and Gold in Feb, crossover in March.

AOL was late fall? What did they do the rest of the year?

Dawn

If I recall, please keep in mind my youngest is now a high school senior, the AOL was in November. They mostly did pack activities, PWD, and met with more troops (beyond the two required for AOL). It was never assumed they'd go to the troop associated with our pack. The den leaders took them to visit at least 5. December was a minimal scouting month, always, so that really just left Jan/Feb. Crossover was the first weekend in March.

I see.

Our pack/troop is very different as we have a very strong pack and troop and even a sisters group as we try to make it as family oriented as possible.

But it is a homeschool only pack/troop as well.

Dawn

If I recall, please keep in mind my youngest is now a high school senior, the AOL was in November. They mostly did pack activities, PWD, and met with more troops (beyond the two required for AOL). It was never assumed they'd go to the troop associated with our pack. The den leaders took them to visit at least 5. December was a minimal scouting month, always, so that really just left Jan/Feb. Crossover was the first weekend in March.

Is there another Boy Scout troop your son could join?

I have been searching/talking to Scout masters for months.

We live in a tiny town. Our troop has the two older boys. There is a troop in the little town east of ours that has two 12yos. There are lots of troops to the west of us. The closest probably 25 miles,is a good active troop, but I haven't gotten much help from the Scout Master. I have talked to him several times and the only actual invitation I have gotten for my Webelo is to an Eagle award ceremony. We did go, but what a boring way to introduce my boys to scouts- at a long ceremony for kids they don't know. There is another probably closer to 35 miles that is also a good active troop.

BUT niether of them have cub scout packs. AND they meet on Mondays, the same as our current Cub Pack. My husband works nights, and I can't be in two places at once.

I believe ours changeover in September. We usually follow the school year.

So your boys don't become Boy Scouts until they have already started 6th grade?

It sounds like Feburary and March are very common though. That is what I had been thinking is that he would be ready to start BS in March, but she told me last week they don't move up until summer.

Here, they bridge out of Cub Scouts at the Blue and Gold in February/March and join a troop right after that. Our April campout is usually the first one for our brand new "first years." This way, they develop their patrol structure and get to know the leadership before summer camp. For many boys, it is their first time away from home for that long and it really helps to get to know the other boys and the leaders.

Your son can be a Scout if he has completed the fifth grade and is at least 10 years old or is age 11 or has earned the Arrow of Light Award and is at least 10 years old, but has not reached age 18.

1. Complete the application (sign your name, indicating approval).
  2. Give the completed application and fees to the Scoutmaster.
  3. Secure a copy of the Boy Scout Handbook and complete the joining requirements as listed.

The troop or team leader signs the Youth Application #28-406 when the boy has completed the Boy Scout Joining (Scout Badge) Requirements:

1. Meet the age requirements. Be a boy who is 11 years old, or one who has completed the fifth grade or earned the Arrow of Light Award and is at least 10 years old, but is not yet 18 years old.
  2. Find a Scout troop near your home. (To find a troop, contact your local Boy Scout Council. The Council name, address and phone number can be found on BSA's Council Locator Page.)
  3. Complete a Boy Scout application and health history signed by your parent or guardian.
  4. Repeat the Pledge of Allegiance.
  5. Demonstrate the Scout sign, salute, and handshake.
  6. Demonstrate tying the square knot (a joining knot).
  7. Understand and agree to live by the Scout Oath or Promise, Law, motto, and slogan, and the Outdoor Code.
  8. Describe the Scout badge.
  9. Complete the pamphlet exercises. With your parent or guardian, complete the exercises in the pamphlet "How to Protect Your Children from Child Abuse: A Parent's Guide".
  10. Participate in a Scoutmaster conference. Turn in your Boy Scout application and health history form signed by your parent or guardian, then participate in a Scoutmaster conference.

We have a strange situation where our BS troop is only two 16yos, and my oldest is our only Webelo 2 so there isn't really anywhere to move him up to. But I think they are supposed to move up after they get thier Arrow of Light (which he has and in our old pack was usually in Jan.), and the lady in charge of the BS troop says they shouldn't move up until June.

They cross over at B&G. At that time they are considered Boy Scouts and not Cub Scouts.

Usually they cross over at B&G in Feb of their Web II year. Our B&G is March 5th this year due to schedule conflicts with the location.

I see.

Our pack/troop is very different as we have a very strong pack and troop and even a sisters group as we try to make it as family oriented as possible.

But it is a homeschool only pack/troop as well.

Dawn

Our pack was very family oriented. My younger son participated as a sibling for 2 years before he was a Tiger. When we first joined it, though, they did round up in the schools. By the time we left, they solely got new boys from siblings and the church we met in. The charter org had decided to not do school round up, to be for the church. Boys that didn't go to that church tended to choose other troops when their pack days were over. We made sure they got to see what was available. Being family oriented had nothing to do with when they crossed over, or where they crossed over to in this pack.

If they've earned their Arrow of Light and are in 5th grade, then they move up at the Blue & Gold Ceremony in late Feb. If they have not earned it, then they wait until the summer between 5th & 6th grade. (I think there is likely an age minimum in addition to the grade minimum, but I am not positive.)

It's a great time to switch troops. We jumped ship to a new troop after/at the Blue & Gold Ceremony. (There was a little ceremony at the B&G in which the new BS troop receives the boy(s) moving up to their troop.)

I don't think the date is really the main question. There are a few red flags in this:

1. The troop has only two 16 yos. The minimum is 5 - how do they have a troop with 2?

2. "The lady in charge of the BS troop." Is she the Scoutmaster? Is there a Scoutmaster, Scout Committee, etc? Is there an Assistant Scoutmaster, since they require two deep leadership for everything?

3. Is this a real troop, or just a couple of Lone Scouts and their mom?

4. Is the "lady in charge" inflexible about everything else too? Is she the mother of one or both the other boys? Does she have the same goals for the Scouts as you have for your son? Is she going to support him?

5. Are the other boys going to include a new, much younger boy in all their activities? Or just say "You can't come til you're __________ ? (pick any requirement they have met but new boy hasn't)

6. Have you looked into the Lone Scout opportunity? Because if he isn't going to feel included (and I certainly wouldn't so far,) he may as well do everything on his own and meet other Scouts his age at camp/council activities. It isn't that difficult to become a Merit Badge counselor yourself or contact Council for recommendations.

;)Yes there are lots of questions??? The main one being something like- Do I step up and take on a lot of positions in this troop that is attached to our pack or find a new troop- and then what do I do about cubs for my two younger boys? I am already the Asst Cubmaster and Webelos leader (but like I said I think we have another webelos leader to take over the Webelos 1)

But here are the answers to your questions-

I don't think the date is really the main question. There are a few red flags in this:

1. The troop has only two 16 yos. The minimum is 5 - how do they have a troop with 2? This is a dying troop there hasn't been a pack for some years, the pack that we are in now we joined about 1 1/2 years ago after moving here, but it has only been back togethere for about 2 years. And most of their boys are Bears, there are 4 Webelos (and my boys are 2 of them). I think 3 boys graduated from highschool last year.

2. "The lady in charge of the BS troop." Is she the Scoutmaster? Is there a Scoutmaster, Scout Committee, etc? Is there an Assistant Scoutmaster, since they require two deep leadership for everything? There is a scout master, but he is the only registered male that she has and she won't let him quit, but he is just a figure head. I believe that her official titile is Committee, but really she runs it all.

3. Is this a real troop, or just a couple of Lone Scouts and their mom? She isn't even a parent, her boy graduated a couple of years ago and she is just helping finish up these last couple scouts.

4. Is the "lady in charge" inflexible about everything else too? Is she the mother of one or both the other boys? Does she have the same goals for the Scouts as you have for your son? Is she going to support him? She is ready to hand it all over. BUT I would really like some others in our troop... I don't want to do it all (and being homeschooled, me running it and my boys almost the only ones there doesn't make it very worth our time). She has mostly been helpful, just I don't really get along with her that well.

5. Are the other boys going to include a new, much younger boy in all their activities? Or just say "You can't come til you're __________ ? (pick any requirement they have met but new boy hasn't) So far they have been very helpful/kind/whatever. One came and talke to the boys about oath/law/scout uniform/ect. for AOL requirements. They invited us fishing and everyone had a great time (not like the 3 hour long Eagle ceremony that we atteneded at the other troop).

6. Have you looked into the Lone Scout opportunity? Because if he isn't going to feel included (and I certainly wouldn't so far,) he may as well do everything on his own and meet other Scouts his age at camp/council activities. It isn't that difficult to become a Merit Badge counselor yourself or contact Council for recommendations. Okay, I know, but can't I dream of a great troop where all I have to do is drop off my boys ;)

Here, they bridge out of Cub Scouts at the Blue and Gold in February/March and join a troop right after that. Our April campout is usually the first one for our brand new "first years." This way, they develop their patrol structure and get to know the leadership before summer camp. For many boys, it is their first time away from home for that long and it really helps to get to know the other boys and the leaders.

This is how it is here.

Okay, I know, but can't I dream of a great troop where all I have to do is drop off my boys

---

Let me see if I follow....you are looking for an active Troop connected to an active Pack that meets on the same night so you can drop your boys off in the same place so they can participate in Scouts? (I do not mean this to sound snarky, just trying to put it all together)

I think you are going to have a difficult time finding that perfect Pack/Troop. In our area there are no Pack/Troop combos that meet on the same night. Our church has a wonderful Pack but the Dens meet on separate nights. Tigers on Mon., Bears on Tues., Wolves/Webelos on Thurs. The Troop meets on Thurs. but the hours are different, and longer, than the Pack's hours.

That being said, I do hope you can find a good Troop for your older son. I think the Scouting program is wonderful.

"Boy Scouting, one of the traditional membership divisions of the BSA, is available to boys who have earned the Arrow of Light Award and are at least 10 years old or have completed the fifth grade and are at least 10, or who are 11, but not yet 18 years old."

Arrow of Light 's first requirement says, "Be active in your Webelos den for at least six months since completing the fourth grade (or for at least six months since becoming 10 years old), and earn the Webelos badge."

So for most of our boys this is at least December. We have 3 second year Webelos and they all finished their AOL in December. They were planning on having their ceremony AND crossing over at that time, however one of the dads was deployment. Due to scheduling difficulties they are now having their ceremony on Feb 19. Crossing over at the same time.

Once the Cub has met the requirements, it is up to the Parents and the Scout WHEN he crosses over! It is not up to the troop to determine those dates.

Now our boys ended up glad that the Dec date didn't work out - they have now participated in their last Pinewood Derby and had a great time.

Next year we have 10 Webelos that will be doing the same thing. I'm fairly certain we will wait until Blue & Gold at the end of February. I think it's a nice way to finish off their Cub Scout "career."

Once the Cub has met the requirements, it is up to the Parents and the Scout WHEN he crosses over! It is not up to the troop to determine those dates.

True but many packs have crossover ceremonies where all the troops that are welcoming boys from that pack come, and participate in a special ceremony in which they crossover from Cubs to Boy Scouts. Our crossover ceremony was very cool and fun, yet very different than our AOL ceremony.

Let me see if I follow....you are looking for an active Troop connected to an active Pack that meets on the same night so you can drop your boys off in the same place so they can participate in Scouts? (I do not mean this to sound snarky, just trying to put it all together)

No I want a troop and pack that meet on different nights, so we can attend both. I don't mind helping (especially with cubs), but I really am ready for my older boys to spend a small part of thier lives getting direction from/learning from someone besides me ;) And actually I think there is very little chance I wouldn't help as much as I can, but I'd still like some other adults to help too.

But if I join any of the active troops around here that almost means not doing cubs (or driving a long way, and still I haven't found any troops that don't meet on mondays).

Yeah, obviously my scouting problems aren't fixed, but from this thread I think I have learned that it is probably worth my time (and gas) to figure out what Troop we want to join and have time for ds to get acquainted with that troop before June. So thanks for confirming that Feb/Mar is a good time to find a troop.

We choose to move them up with their Arrow of Light at the Blue & Gold which has traditionally been in February. Our Boy Scout Troop meets at the same place, just 30 minutes start after the Cub Scout Dens start. Our beloved Cubmaster is also the Scoutmaster so it's all coordinated.

My ds12 moved up last February with his AOL (and all 20 Webelos Badges) and now he participates in the AOL/Crossover ceremonies welcoming new boys. One of the boys was not ready with his AOL in February last year since he had missed many meetings and did not participate much when he was there as a Webelos 1. So the leaders worked with him and I spoke with his mom (single mom, no siblings or relatives around) to help her understand what to focus on so that he could get AOL by June. They scheduled a second AOL/Crossover ceremony in June at our end of the year BBQ just for him.

If a Webelos gets his Arrow of Light but has not crossed over and has not completed all 20 Webelos Activity Badges, he could continue to work on them. This is similar to an Eagle Scout who continues to earn Merit Badges.

Our Troop has grown from 6-10 boys to about 35 boys in the last 2 years. I would really consider another Troop if you could find one that works, but I understand the dilemma with the schedule if you are active in the Cub Scouts.

Edited by girligirlmom