Menu

Need ideas for long counter/desk design for our new schoolroom

We currently have a "formal living room" type room in our house that we use as the school room. But due to my need for more light and scenery and also a room dedicated to more quiet, I'm going to switch our school room to our sunroom. It has windows on 3 sides, and low walls on the other side that leads to our family room. I hope to take one window side and make a long desk/counter type thing with storage underneath and 2-3 stations for sitting.

I would love to hear ideas of any of you with this kind of space for your homeschool and how you made a long workspace for a couple kids. I'm looking to maybe make it on my own, or combining some pre-made items I can get cheaply. Just would love to see some ideas from those who are making it work!

Thanks!

We took this approach with one of our bedrooms, and it has worked out well. DH handled all of the details, but I can email you details (when he gets up :)) or pics if that would be helpful. It has been great for us, and the way that he installed it on the wall was such that it was scalable. Love it, love it, love it.

We just moved our school room from the dining room to the guest room. I chose cheap desks from Walmart for each of my big boys. I wanted them to have their own workspaces to keep organized (and since they have to share everything else, I thought it would be nice for them to have something of their own.

In our old house, we homeschooled in the sunroom. For a work surface, I used a wide coffee table with a shelf underneath. Great for holding baskets of work (I did one per child to keep his individual notebooks) and for doing larger projects. We could spread lapbooks and art work all over without feeling cramped. When it came to individual work, each kid worked on the narrow end of the rectangular table. However, when it came to actual writing work (handwriting, copywork, etc.) I did have them go to the kitchen table so that they could get in a better writing position. (Neat HW is a challenge here, so we try everything to make it better.)

Hope some of that made sense. Good luck with your new room!

We took this approach with one of our bedrooms, and it has worked out well. DH handled all of the details, but I can email you details (when he gets up :)) or pics if that would be helpful. It has been great for us, and the way that he installed it on the wall was such that it was scalable. Love it, love it, love it.

Wake up, dh. :) I want to read the details and see the pics!!

My friend just redid her schoolroom, with Ikea stuff.

I don't know what it was, as far as name/model#, but it is essentially a countertop width, and it goes all down the wall like a countertop. Then underneath are bookshelves, like cubbies, I guess they support the top.

I've only seen it on FB pictures, but she has four "desk" spaces all made from this, just right along the wall. It really likes very nice, very tidy yet each child has their own space, shelving, etc.

Could you post the details and pics here for all of us to see? I'd be very interested too.

thanks ladies for all your great ideas! Would love to see pics and/or details if you have them.

I'm wondering how much space you need between kids to be effective. I was thinking of having a spot for each of them with a spot for me in between, have to figure out if I have enough room to do this. Our challenge will be to make this a very visually appealing sight, without cluttering up the lovely view we have outside.