Menu

I think I want to buy a small farm...

:D I am not crazy and I'm not under the influence. I have been contemplating this for some time although this is the first I've voiced my musings. We own a modest home on almost 1/2 an acre. Plenty of room for the kids to run around, for a nice sized garden in the spring/summer, to keep chickens if we ever desired. I am under no delusions that owning and running a farm (even a small one) will be easy. I'm not afraid of hard work especially if it benefits my family. If you live on a farm or ever had, can you tell me what it is like? How much money are we talking upfront to either buy a farm that is already up and running or to buy the land and start one yourself? I have never lived on a farm, raised animals (unless you count hamsters, dogs and cats :tongue_smilie:), been very successful with gardening or been very domestic. But I want to be! I want to learn! I am somehow so drawn to this way of life. So, what is it really like? :bigear:

The path I would follow if I were you:

1. Check out urban homesteading and start learning skill like gardening, poultry keeping, canning, etc now. (Start with one skill at a time. Don't overwhelm yourself.)

2. Check out land prices in the area where you want to live and start saving. (You may also want to keep an eye on used equipment ads and such so you know how much to start saving for that also.)

3. Talk to people who already farm. Ask them to teach you. If I remember correctly, you live in Amish country; ask your Amish neighbors if they can teach you some farming and gardening skills by letting you help them around their farms.

I am getting ready to convert our old chest freezer into an incubator then planning on purchasing fertilized chicken eggs. I started setting up the back yard last year to allow the chickens a safe place to roam around and cleaned out the old chicken coop; I'll make repairs as soon as it warms up outside. I have a couple friends who keep chickens who I have asked many questions of over the last couple of years, and I have already arranged for one of the women to take my chickens if I decide that we can't handle them after all.

Blessings in your new adventure!

Well, I was raised on a small, diversified farm, and when the SO and I have saved a bit more money, we plan to buy a similar one. Soo...

1) What do you mean by farm? Dairy, beef, poultry, diversified small farm? Primarily income-producing, primarily family-food producing, primarily a place to keep some pet sheep? The 'how much money' is *extremely* dependent on this.

2) Consider that if you have a serious farm, there is no such thing as a vacation. Any milking livestock need to be milked twice a day, every day. Any livestock need to be fed every single day, and a farm sitter is a hell of a lot more expensive than a pet-sitter.

If you're still interested, I'd recommend the following:

1) Read a few books. If you're thinking about going for actual cash income, Joel Salatin's You Can Farm and Family Friendly Farming are good imo. They may be a little overwhelming if all you're thinking of is your own food supply. In that case, I'd recommend The Have-more Plan (get it from the library probably, it's a bit dated as far as prices go) for a brief overview and thinking about what you'd like to have, and then checking out more detailed information.

2) Talk to people who are farming in your area. See if you can get a chance to visit a farm and do some of the work. You may decide that cow poo smells so disgusting that you'd never ever want anything like that near you, or you may decide that you love cows and want your own dairy cow.

2b) In a similar vein, start doing gardening and chickens on the property you have *now*. You may well find that the romantic idea of farming appeals to you, but the whole thing just isn't for you. This is okay, and much better to find out now than after you've bought 20 acres and a bunch of livestock.

3) Subscribe to Countryside. This magazine has been an invaluable wealth of information.

4) Start *slooowly*. Do not go out and buy five goats, six sheep, three cows, two dozen chickens, a pair of hogs, and a pony. Add at most (imo) one large or two small projects per year.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

We did the green acres thing at the age of 40. We moved from the city, spent all our money and bought a farm and all the equipment to go with it. We raise hay, cattle, meat goats, chickens and ducks. We also have horses and raise a hog yearly for butcher. We love it. But...it is VERY, VERY, VERY hard work. It is really hard when one of us is out of commission as I have been for 8 months. My poor DH has had to do everything and he's ragged. He works 40 hours/ week off the farm and then has to come home and cook dinner, do the barn chores (about 1 hour) and clean house. (I've been unable to walk or stand) That is the biggest problem to me. If you have animals and crops, you have to take care of them even when you're sick/ hurt. You can't take a break. Usually it works out that if one is sick, the other is fine. But it's not good when you both are down or when one has a long term issue as I have. However, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I love it here and love the work, when I'm able to do it. I will have surgery in Feb and I'm praying to God that I will be back on the job soon thereafter. My poor DH can't take much more! If your health is good, I'd say, go for it! We are sure glad we did. And we have 160 acres and a boatload of animals! A small farm would be much more manageable and probably more fun! You can check out all our animals and such at my blog! There is video of my DD9 bottle feeding her new doeling. (The doeling had to stay in the kitchen a few nights as she was weak and it was cold outside! But that's farm life!)

Edited by katemary63

I grew up having about 40 goats. Very fun, had milk and meat, but easily did 2+ hours of chores per day. And if there is kidding or sickness, many more. Also expensive if you b uy someplace that doesn't have existing structures such as a barn or fenced pasture.

That being said, we still bought a small place (6+ acres) about 10 years ago, as a good place to raise responsible boys. They currently have about 70 chickens and have a small egg business. We have fruit trees, and usually a garden. It is a ton of work, honestly, the bloom was off the rose about 5 years ago, but that doesn't mean the work goes away! We mow 4 hours a week in the summer. The chickens don't keep us tied down too badly as we share chores with our neighbor when we travel. BUT! We probably wouldn't do that with bigger livestock.

All in all, it has helped the boys grow and develop... They never have time to just sit and watch tv all day, which i like. And it gives you options should you want to try to be more independent. Overall, we have loved our time here!

We moved to our farm when our boys were young (5, 3, 1) and have raised them here. It's just a small farm, but we raise many of our own veggies, have chickens, and hunt deer. In our younger days we raised our own beef and pork (bought young, raised, butchered). We also have raised ponies (not for food, of course)! It is a bit of work, more like a lifestyle really, but we've thoroughly enjoyed it and wouldn't change much. It's given our boys GREAT work ethics and useful skills.

That said, we're selling down our ponies now (we're at 16 at the moment) and are planning on selling the whole place when the youngest leaves for college (3 years - possibly sooner). It IS a lot of work and while we did the work ourselves when the boys were small, we've gotten dependent on them and can't foresee doing it all ourselves when they are gone.

I wouldn't mind moving to a place at that point where I can keep a few chickens and have a smaller garden as I've gotten VERY used to the "fresh" taste, but I don't know if we'll do that or just live on the road (class B motorhome). I guess it will depend on the economy.

Land prices in PA vary significantly. I know there is 16 acres right next to us for sale for $225,000 (just land, no house, but perked). East of us that would be inexpensive (for the most part). West of us I think it would be expensive. It seems priced right for here, and I think in the spring it will sell. Right now it's covered with snow!

I do, too. We have a 1/2 acre as well, and we do have a large veggie garden and chickens. But I want more :) I don't necessarily want to run an official farm and turn a profit, I just want a family cow, maybe some goats and pigs, things for our own use.

For the most part, I think all that I want is a family farm. Our Amish friends have 112 acres, cows, chickens, horses (of course), and grow just about everything you can imagine! I don't want that. I'm certainly not romanticizing this. I know that it is HARD, HARD work and a lifestyle...not a hobby. :D It would be hard for me to raise animals to butcher. I suppose I could get used to it, but at this point can't wrap my brain around it. Gardening, raising chickens for eggs, perhaps having a dairy cow for milking or goats...at this point it is all just in the thought stage, kwim? I'm grateful to hear your experiences and wisdom. This is something I don't want to just jump into blindfolded! LOL.

You might enjoy my oldest's blog and website.

http://dancingdogdairy.blogspot.com/

http://www.dancingdogdairy.com/

She believes that a diversified farm is healthiest for the land, the animals and the family.

I'd suggest buying 10 acres with an existing barn, and fences if possible. I like the book The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live it.

We have a horse and a pony, four dairy cows, one beef cow, thirty something dairy goats, two pigs, chickens, turkeys, ducks, quail, farm dogs and barn cats.

I really like the goats the best. If I were starting over, I would not get cows, and I would not have bought the horse and pony either. I'd just have the kids go to the neighbor's when they wanted to ride. The pigs and chickens are easy and profitable.

I agree that the workload is unbelievable. It is rare for my 16 year old to work fewer than 12 hours a day. Fortunately, it is what she loves.

It is great if your whole family on board. I don't like when I see a mom who wants animals, but then the kids do all of the work. I have a couple of kids who are not into animals, so I make sure their chores are other things and they don't feel dumped on.

I think living here has been worth money and trouble it costs us. If you are looking for a lifestyle, this is one of the best.

Edited by amy g.

:D I am not crazy and I'm not under the influence. I have been contemplating this for some time although this is the first I've voiced my musings. We own a modest home on almost 1/2 an acre. Plenty of room for the kids to run around, for a nice sized garden in the spring/summer, to keep chickens if we ever desired. I am under no delusions that owning and running a farm (even a small one) will be easy. I'm not afraid of hard work especially if it benefits my family. If you live on a farm or ever had, can you tell me what it is like? How much money are we talking upfront to either buy a farm that is already up and running or to buy the land and start one yourself? I have never lived on a farm, raised animals (unless you count hamsters, dogs and cats :tongue_smilie:), been very successful with gardening or been very domestic. But I want to be! I want to learn! I am somehow so drawn to this way of life. So, what is it really like? :bigear:

Ditto sister and I'm :bigear:! We'd love to live on a farm too....dh, dd and I, but we won't be able to right now, but still I'm :bigear:

If you can't move now, can you, and forgive the cliche, bloom where you are planted?

Also, Novella Carpenter had a goat, pigs, chickens & ducks in the city of Oakland. Her blog is amamzing, and she has a book. She has since moved to a little land, but there are pictures of her urban 'farm' on her blog:

https://ghosttownfarm.wordpress.com/about-2/

Edited by LibraryLover

For us, keeping a farm in the winter is hard. Hard. Sigh.

There are things we LOVE about our little farm. There are things we really could do without.

Just like the city and the suburbs -- there are great parts and awful parts -- no matter where you live (they just switch up from one place to another).

I thought of one more thing I would change is I were to start over. I would make a hard, fast rule that no animals are allowed to come in the house.

I get tired of the baby goats in the kitchen, the newborn calf in the entryway and the chicks in my bathroom.

We live in a place where it rarely freezes. These animals would be just fine in the barn.

:iagree:This would be too much for us. If we were any farther north, there's no way we could handle all the work that goes with keeping animals healthy in below freezing conditions.

:iagree:Our barn is heated, and thank goodness. Chickens don't like it too warm, but I couldn't do it if I had to defrost their water every day. When I know a snowstorm is coming, I double fill their water and food. Can't do that with a poor horse or goats.

I agree that you can do a little hobby farming right in your own backyard. We rent a house on a 1/2 acre in an upscale subdivision. Most of our neighbors don't even have dogs here. However, we have 4 hens in a chicken tractor and a hive of honeybees in our backyard. My husband is building square foot garden bed frames in the garage right now, so when spring arrives we will start a garden. You can actually do quite a bit with a 1/2 acre. Our friends always crack up at our urban homestead, although I think they would draw the line at goats or a pig!

However, I totally understand wanting more space. I would love to have more space and privacy. When our house in Florida sells, we plan on buying about 5 acres. We have 30 acres in Florida and it was waaayy too much for us to maintain. I think 5 acres would be just right. A big garden, chickens, goats and maybe a pig...

I don't think I could keep bees. Bees totally freak me out although I know they are harmless unless provoked. We do love honey! I certainly plan on several square foot gardens for the spring. Dh gets very nervous when I put construction projects on his "to do" list, but this is one I think the boys could handle as a project. How do you keep bees (without getting stung, that is :D)? I think a 5 acre farm would be quite doable and not overwhelming as we get acclimated to farm life. :D Goats, chickens, garden...hmmmm...I just love the "brainstorming" phase of this!