Menu

Cutting off internet at home. Anyone else do this?

We're doing it for two reasons:

1. To save the money

2. To keep everyone from being immersed in their laptops

We'll still check our email. I'm sure you'll be able to find me sitting outside of the library for a quick email check on my way to work. And, I'll get some time to check the boards and surf a little bit, but we see internet usage being a hindrance for family connection and a too easy boredom buster for those who have their own computers. It's too easy for everyone to do a little bit of research and just get immersed in something else.

My mom has even offered to pay for our internet, but for now, we want to go without it.

Honestly, the thing I'm most concerned about is being able to get online to look up a quick recipe.

Anyone else BTDT? How did you cope?

We got rid of our internet, oh, maybe a year ago. After the initial withdrawal period, I didn't really even notice it was gone. I'd go to the local coffee shop for an hour or two once a week and catch up. It was nice- I didn't realize how much time the internet took up until I didn't have it anymore. I was much happier without it.

Now, of course, dh discovered that one of our neighbors has wireless we can use. I have gotten nothing done for the last week. I hate it, and I'm tempted to figure out which neighbor it is and have them password protect their wireless so I can finally get something done. :tongue_smilie:

I think I'd die LOL.

I use it for everything....researching homeschool curriculum, printing things out for schooling, getting our Netflix DVD's and instant queue's, uploading client's photo sessions, looking up new recipes, shopping online when I don't have time to leave the house (plus, it's usually cheaper), researching each medium sized or large purchase that we make, staying in touch with friends and family, blogging, etc.

I can allow the internet to take up as much or as little of the day as I allow it to.

We got rid of our internet, oh, maybe a year ago. After the initial withdrawal period, I didn't really even notice it was gone. I'd go to the local coffee shop for an hour or two once a week and catch up. It was nice- I didn't realize how much time the internet took up until I didn't have it anymore. I was much happier without it.

Now, of course, dh discovered that one of our neighbors has wireless we can use. I have gotten nothing done for the last week. I hate it, and I'm tempted to figure out which neighbor it is and have them password protect their wireless so I can finally get something done. :tongue_smilie:

That is what happened here. The kids got online without us being connected to the internet. I thought we were without it and next thing I know they are on PBS.com:lol: It turns out that some computers just automatically pick up a signal.

We went to the internet to save time and money...no need to recycle a newspaper, no need to mail bills, easy to find recipes, read books and mags etc. Rather than cut it out completely, we decided to set a limit on chasing rabbits...and mindless entertainment and to dedicate time to family and time to exercise.

This is what we did as well. Dh and I need internet access for work, dh and the kids need it for school, and I pay bills and do most of my communication online, so getting rid of it is not an option for us. However, I was finding that I was getting easily distracted with it (going from link to link to link, suddenly needing to look something up that could have easily waited, etc). I installed LeechBlock on my Firefox web browser, and it has been a lifesaver! I can block specific sites for specific hours during the day (or all internet access if I so choose). I have chosen to block access to the WTM boards :001_smile: and Facebook during school hours; I have made an allowance to check either for a total of 5 minutes every hour if I so choose. I have also blocked myself from changing the settings during restricted hours so I can't cheat. :D

I used it to set up a complete social media/ message boards block for Lent last year. It was difficult on me at first but completely worth it! My internet usage (and tendency to follow rabbit trails) has dropped dramatically since last spring.

Enjoy your break! May it be a blessing to you and your family.

I almost did. Soon after deciding I'd go through with it, I got a job requiring internet use, so it was no longer an option. I find it VERY difficult to not use the computer on willpower alone.

I had started making a list of those things which I get from the internet, so I could be sure to have access to them another way. Since I looked up information online, I was going to make sure I had some encyclopedias and local maps. I love this message board, so I was going to finally buy The Well Trained Mind instead of continuing to borrow it from the library (I still plan to eventually!) and also get a homeschooling magazine or two for encouragement and inspiration. Anyway, things like that.

Go for it. The worst that can happen is that you don't like it and decide to get back online at some point:)

I would give up chocolate before I give up the internet.

I submit that is a logical fallacy and refuse to acknowledge its either/or connotation. :tongue_smilie: (IOW I have my fingers in my ears singing lalalala...I'm not listening)

Giving up internet? Um, No. I would give up many things before the internet. Aside from the additive issue and the mindless wandering, the internet serves function in our house.

It is our:

entertainment (netflix and hulu)

practical (bill paying, phone book, weather)

educational (netflix, library, WTM >>>)

research (the knowledge is at my fingertips, not always available IRL, prices, homeschooling)

career boosting (Dh does a lot of research online for prices, new ideas, even some ways to promote his business. I am working on becoming a writer. The internet is not only a way to learn about the craft, it's a big part of my networking as I have writing friends spread over several states)

social outlet (we all have social outlets we visit online, including ds)

We are in a small town. There are no wifi hotspots here, unless you count the hotels. The library has internet, but not wifi.

The price of internet gives us the most bang for the buck. I'm sure I'd spend more money that our service costs each month because I couldn't research or compare something.

As for the addiction issue, unplug the router and only use it for a set time each time. Make it a game between family members to see who can get their stuff down online. If not then make a list of websites you want to visit, things you need to do online before you sign on. Consider it like grocery shopping, it's always better to take a list.

I wish there was some way to easily place restrictions on time useage (especially my own) rather than just getting rid of it. I do the majority of my shopping online mainly through Amazon, I do my banking and pay bills online, I research curriculum, I communicate with most of my friends and set up playdates for my kids through e-mail, etc.

Actually, the only thing I do that's a real time sucker that can't be justified is read this board. I really need to just get off of here and I wish there was some way I could do that. It's just so addictive. I have read everything there is about homeschooling, I'm pretty much set with curriculum until high school and there is very little for me to take away from it at this point, but I still find myself drawn here. I have quit for short periods of time, but I always come back to it.

Lisa

We went to the internet to save time and money...no need to recycle a newspaper, no need to mail bills, easy to find recipes, read books and mags etc. Rather than cut it out completely, we decided to set a limit on chasing rabbits...and mindless entertainment and to dedicate time to family and time to exercise.

We've tried to do that. We even have SafeEyes on all of our computers with time limits. However, there's always some way to work around it and too easy to get sucked into something else.

It does feel like an addiction and self-restraint when it's sitting right under our noses just doesn't work for long. I wish we could do what you've done!

I submit that is a logical fallacy and refuse to acknowledge its either/or connotation. :tongue_smilie: (IOW I have my fingers in my ears singing lalalala...I'm not listening)

As for the addiction issue, unplug the router and only use it for a set time each time. Make it a game between family members to see who can get their stuff down online. If not then make a list of websites you want to visit, things you need to do online before you sign on. Consider it like grocery shopping, it's always better to take a list.

Great idea, but not sure we have the self-control. Sad, but true.

I have changed my passwords, had DH take the router with him and had DD hide the mouse.:D

Well, with the way I parent, if I were to give up the internet, I would follow the same rules as I make for my kids. It just seems plain sneaky to do something you've told your children is bad for them and the family. If you decide 2 or 3 hours a week is okay, then it should be okay for everyone. Just IMHO. I have trust issues from childhood so I work really hard to maintain a high level of trust in my relationship with my DH and my children.

If we gave up the internet, we'd actually end up spending more money - phone calls (close family & friends that we moved far away from) instead of emails/chat/etc, driving around town to pay all the bills*, buying things here in town that would be much cheaper online, etc. It would also take a lot more time, which is also a cost.

*we have some bills that we can't pay in person anywhere in our town, so they have to be done either online or by mail. Online is much more reliable and immediate.

Have you tried an internet fast? My friend did this (and I sort of copied.) No computer from 8am-8pm - except for school work that is absolutely necessary - not, hey, let me look for this. I did this with her and it was amazing how much more productive we both were. Doesn't save the money, but it sure did make things work more smoothly at home. Only problem - my dh didn't like that I spent my evenings online like a madwoman. So, I adjusted mine. I gave myself 1 hour to be on the computer before he got home. I got my fix and still had my evenings free to hang with dh.

Dh has wireless for his job, so it's here whether we want it or not. I would actually love to get rid of it, but it's how I pay bills, communicate with family, and research everything. We'd lose our Netflix (gasp!), and my kids would totally rebel. I think it's great if you can do it, though.

DH needs it here for his job as it allows him to occasionally work from home, which is a blessing when he can.

We also use it for school and communicating with so many people. I couldn't give it up unless it were absolutely necessary, but it is my lifeline to those who live far away.

We are considering giving up satellite TV though.

Dawn

Have you tried an internet fast? My friend did this (and I sort of copied.) No computer from 8am-8pm - except for school work that is absolutely necessary - not, hey, let me look for this. I did this with her and it was amazing how much more productive we both were. Doesn't save the money, but it sure did make things work more smoothly at home. Only problem - my dh didn't like that I spent my evenings online like a madwoman. So, I adjusted mine. I gave myself 1 hour to be on the computer before he got home. I got my fix and still had my evenings free to hang with dh.

I like this idea. And, I do pretty well when I've made rules for myself. (No sugar, no flour, no internet, etc.) I actually have done WTM fasts in the past when I find that I'm spending too much time on here. However, I'm working each afternoon from 1:00 - 6:00 and the kids are out until then. So, if we gave ourselves an hour at night, that's a precious hour of family time that's lost behind the computer screen.

The plan is for everyone to do whatever they have to do online while we're out. My older girls can go to the library while I'm working and I can check my email and do a few quick things and then have a block of time over the weekend when I go to Panera, have some time by myself, and do the searches that need to be done (with the running list I've kept through the week). My youngers just don't need to be online.

It just will take more planning and it means that when we're home, we're really home.

We'll see how it goes. One thing I thought about this morning, though, is that we skype every couple of weeks with Katya's grandmother in Ukraine. This will make that more difficult.

We do need to cut the monthly payment as we try to cut everything we possibly can to position ourselves to go wherever the Lord leads (Malaysia, or otherwise). So, that's a piece of it too.

DH needs it here for his job as it allows him to occasionally work from home, which is a blessing when he can.

We also use it for school and communicating with so many people. I couldn't give it up unless it were absolutely necessary, but it is my lifeline to those who live far away.

We are considering giving up satellite TV though.

Dawn

We gave up our TV about five years ago and haven't missed it.

We got rid of cable a year ago, and I don't regret that except on occasion, but we do rely on Internet even more now. That's especially the case since we moved to a very rural area and have such limited options for brick-and-mortar shopping. We do waste more time than we probably should online. There are time-management and productivity add-ons like Leech Block you can add to your browser to lock yourself out of certain sites at certain times of day, and that seems more reasonable for our family than cutting off our Internet access altogether.

The plan is for everyone to do whatever they have to do online while we're out. My older girls can go to the library while I'm working and I can check my email and do a few quick things and then have a block of time over the weekend when I go to Panera, have some time by myself, and do the searches that need to be done (with the running list I've kept through the week). My youngers just don't need to be online.

It just will take more planning and it means that when we're home, we're really home.

That sounds like a good plan.

Honestly, the thing I'm most concerned about is being able to get online to look up a quick recipe.

Yes! And for this reason alone, I could never give up my internet. I use it many times a day for recipes, communication, homeschool, shopping, etc. No, that will not be happening at our house anytime soon. When one of us is on too much, the other's call them out on it. I think we are on the internet a LITTLE bit too much, but not enough to cancel it. Just enough to try to be more self aware of it. Good luck to you. I totally understand why you are doing it. I just couldn't do it. :001_smile: