Menu

A Little History of the World

Plagefille

i don't like it at all. it has very little depth, how could it really being so short, so this is no so much a flaw as something that doesn't fit my needs. also it selectively uses religious texts as historical documents. it is more religious than what i have seen of SOTW 1.

that said- the writing is charming, and it is a very quick read. it may be worth checking out and reading just to see if it is a good fit for you.

if you lived close i would give you my copy. :)

I like the writing style, but coming from a secular perspective, it is really religious in places. It's also more Eurocentric than SOTW. I feel like the level of depth is okay for young kids, but I think it would be hard to use as a spine.

But we use bits of it here and there. It's worth a look - check it out and see what you think.

I got it as a Christmas gift, and I love it (for the most part). It definitely shines as a broad sweep of history, not a detailed one. I'd say it would more suit middle- and high-schoolers, while CHOW is more for elementary and middle school level.

It would work particularly well as a brush-up on world history or a quick overview before delving into a particular time period. I'd consider it a classic that should be on the shelf of every history lover.