Menu

Just Write or Jump In for a 1st time HSing 6th grader

Looking for easy to teach writing curriculum for 3rd, 6th grader.Mostly concerned with 6th grader though... (done separately). I am a new homeschooling mom who needs semi-independent , written to the child format. I am trying to decide between Jump in and Just Write. But, can't seem to find any reviews on Just Write(eps. product). The word "just" is too common word and does not show up in the search here.

We are doing WWE 2 for 3rd grader and WWE 3 for 6th grader. (6th gr. also is doing Paragraph writing Easy and Outlining/remedia press but he's almost done with these 2 workbooks.). We are not doing too much writing in other subjects though. My 6th grader is pretty good with creative writing type of paper but, needs help in more format/structure type like research paper/essays etc. For the Language Arts, we do parts of CLE LA 5 & ILL and All of GWG 7& CLP Spelling & Vfcr A & CLE Reading 5.

I have looked at Meaningful composition (too wordy for us), IEW(too costly),and some others.

Thank you in advance for any input!!!!

Personally I love Jump In. This was our first year of full time HS with our 6th grader too.

He hated, hated, hated the thought of writing ANYTHING when he came out of the public school system. He bulked at the idea of this workbook too until he took a look at it. Now he has really developed an appreciation of different writing styles. Since each type of paper is broken down into skills he can relax and see the different the parts instead of being overwhelmed with the idea of "I've got to write this".

http://www.apologia.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=34

I did Jump In with my kids last year (7th & 5th grade). I think my dd could have used more paragraph work, but she is a natural writer and both kids enjoyed it. I remediated paragraph writing a bit this year though.

Jump In does five paragraph essays - lots of them. All different content, but almost all five paragraph essays. The chapters do walk through each step and by the time the write the essay they often have two or three paragraphs already done, or the topic sentences for each paragraph written. It was a good fit for my reluctant writer.

Since each type of paper is broken down into skills he can relax and see the different the parts instead of being overwhelmed with the idea of "I've got to write this".

http://www.apologia.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=34

Great! my son needs help like this. I looked at the sample and it will be a great fit for my son.

Thank you!!!

Jump In does five paragraph essays - lots of them. All different content, but almost all five paragraph essays. The chapters do walk through each step and by the time the write the essay they often have two or three paragraphs already done, or the topic sentences for each paragraph written. It was a good fit for my reluctant writer.

great to know it includes lots of 5 paragraph essays.He needs that!!!

Thanks a lot!!

Edited by alexia

We are using Jump In this year for my sixth grader and I am using Just Write for my 2nd and 4th graders. You might want to consider using both for the different grades. I would not want to use Jump In for my 4th grader. I don't think he would be ready for it. Just write has been a great gentle introduction for the younger boys.

I have really enjoyed both programs and I plan on using Just Write again next year for the younger boys.

HTH!

Looking for easy to teach writing curriculum for 3rd, 6th grader.

I am trying to decide between Jump in and Just Write. But, can't seem to find any reviews on Just Write(eps. product).

I have both. I would definitely start with Just Write and when done with Level 3, move on to Jump In. The 6th grader, depending on the level - could start with Just Write Levels 2 or 3. The 3rd grader, maybe Just Write Levels 1 or 2 - again depending. Very easy-to-use books.

I have both. I would definitely start with Just Write and when done with Level 3, move on to Jump In. The 6th grader, depending on the level - could start with Just Write Levels 2 or 3. The 3rd grader, maybe Just Write Levels 1 or 2 - again depending. Very easy-to-use books.

That looks like a great plan for us. I am going to try your recommendation.

Thanks a lot!!!!

You might want to consider using both for the different grades. Just write has been a great gentle introduction for the younger boys.

I have really enjoyed both programs and I plan on using Just Write again next year for the younger boys.

HTH!

I guess I picked the right ones to use. I will use both depending on their level.

Thank you!!

I suggest looking at The Paragraph Series from EPS. It is written for middle schoolers, very step by step, not overwhelming and can be done independantly for the most part. You do not need the TMs.

I suggest looking at The Paragraph Series from EPS. It is written for middle schoolers, very step by step, not overwhelming and can be done independantly for the most part. You do not need the TMs.

These look really good. I love EPS, step-by-step, and all the other features you mention. Just saw these on Rainbow Resource. May order them soon. Even though we do have plenty of writing material, this looks very good. Thanks for the tip re: not needing the TM.

These look really good. I love EPS, step-by-step, and all the other features you mention. Just saw these on Rainbow Resource. May order them soon. Even though we do have plenty of writing material, this looks very good. Thanks for the tip re: not needing the TM.

:iagree:They look good to me as well. But,for me I need those TM. (TM has answer keys to exercises from the book.) English is my 2nd language and my grammar/writing is awful. So, I need all the help I can get....

http://rainbowresource.com/product/Writing+Skills+1/002919/1296568935-506146

These look like "my type" of curriculum too. I recognize the name through this forum. I wonder what are the differences between the Paragraph Series and Writing Skills are....:001_rolleyes:

http://rainbowresource.com/product/Writing+Skills+1/002919/1296568935-506146

These look like "my type" of curriculum too. I recognize the name through this forum. I wonder what are the differences between the Paragraph Series and Writing Skills are....:001_rolleyes:

I remember looking into that program that you linked. I should look into it some more. I also wonder about the difference :confused:. Teaching writing is my least favorite subject. I cannot stand the subjectiveness of grading, critiquing, or commenting, etc. I like a program to be user-friendly, minimal instruction (since I can't stand it ;)), and effective. My ideal writing program would go all the way through 12th grade or so. Similar to a great math program.

. Teaching writing is my least favorite subject. I cannot stand the subjectiveness of grading, critiquing, or commenting, etc. I like a program to be user-friendly, minimal instruction (since I can't stand it ;)), and effective. My ideal writing program would go all the way through 12th grade or so. Similar to a great math program.

:iagree:We think alike!!!

After trying out all these writing curricula and find out that I am just not able to teach writing and/or my ds can't learn it by himself....I would have to pay $$$ for a tutor/class.( I did look into online writing classes but, it didn't appeal to me.) I really hope one of these would work for my son.

Edited by alexia

:iagree:We think alike!!!

After trying out all these writing curricula and find out that I am just not able to teach writing and/or my ds can't learn it by himself....I would have to pay $$$ for a tutor/class.( I did look into online writing classes but, it didn't appeal to me.) I really hope one of these would work for my son.

You might like these. They cover all of LA - grammar, etc. - but also various forms of writing, book reports, etc. I like them a lot. :)

You might like these. They cover all of LA - grammar, etc. - but also various forms of writing, book reports, etc. I like them a lot. :)

These "Flash kids" workbooks are in my cart at Barnes and Noble. lol...

I have too many items sitting in the cart at various online stores.

I have overspent so I am trying to be more careful.... Since this is my 1st year HSing I am still trying out different things and see which type of HSing and/or curriculum will be best fit for my kids and myself.

But, after couple of scripted ones and too many workbooks I think I find myself leaning more toward CM.

Now off to find out more about CM/Narration.....

Something that my dc used independently was WriteShop, which comes in three levels. You might wish to try one of these after you're done with these two writing books. It comes in a workbook and the first two focus on creative writing. The first one, Writeshop Apprentice is for grades 4-6, I believe, but it doesn't last for three grades:).

I have overspent so I am trying to be more careful.... Since this is my 1st year HSing I am still trying out different things and see which type of HSing and/or curriculum will be best fit for my kids and myself.

But, after couple of scripted ones and too many workbooks I think I find myself leaning more toward CM.

Now off to find out more about CM/Narration.....

I hear you about spending too much. When my dc were younger, we also used a CM approach. But now that they're older, it's not as practical and it's just not enough for us. I love the CM approach. :)

Something that my dc used independently was WriteShop, which comes in three levels. You might wish to try one of these after you're done with these two writing books. It comes in a workbook and the first two focus on creative writing. The first one, Writeshop Apprentice is for grades 4-6, I believe, but it doesn't last for three grades:).

Thank you for this. Off to look at it. :)