Menu

WHAT is WRONG with people???? UGH

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. He talked to the guys (who were very drunk when he was there :glare:) and they said they were just playing around with the little boys and thought the boys would think it was cool. :cursing:) The guys would not let him in their house though (hmmmm... what are they hiding??) :glare: The sheriff told them he would be forwarding the info about the mountain lion (which the guys denied having) to the proper people since they would not allow the sheriff in to see. They would be getting a visit in the very near future. The sheriff said he does not believe they have a mountain lion (neither do we) but he said since they are obviously hiding something since he would not him in he will put it to an office who would be forced to report anything illegal they see. These guys opened a big can of worms.. I hope they are prepared for this. He said the guys chuckled when they heard how scared my boys were :glare: so Officer Colvard really go loud with them. :thumbup:

The sheriff did have a long talk with the boys (he almost teared up when he saw how scared they were) and told them they are just mean guys who like to be mean to kids. He told them that he did not see any mountain lions or any other animal for that fact when he was there. He gave them a plastic badge and told them that they can be junior officers (boys are VERY happy about that) they ended up hugging him and telling him thank you :001_smile:

Now I have to attempt to put my boys to bed...:001_huh:

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Thanks for the update -- those guys sound like real losers. I hope they don't live in the house for very long, and that the next people who move in will turn out to be great neighbors.

I think the police handled the situation very well, and I'm glad they took it seriously.

Cat

What a lovely sheriff! I think that's great how he comforted your kids and it sounds like the neighbors are not necessarily on the up and up...honestly, if it's all a misunderstanding then there isn't any reason to not let the sheriff step inside the door. Maybe they were more than just drunk! We've got a couple of those in our neighborhood that we've harassed with police calls enough (the whole community has done this not just us) that they've decided to cool their jets and lay low.

Your sheriff sounds like a keeper for your community.

Faith

Thanks for the update -- those guys sound like real losers. I hope they don't live in the house for very long, and that the next people who move in will turn out to be great neighbors.

I think the police handled the situation very well, and I'm glad they took it seriously.

Cat

We live in a very rural small town area. They dont have much to do around here other than deal with idiots like them :001_huh: (Sorry, I really dislike that word, but I dont think there are any other appropriate words for them :glare:)

I sure hope they dont stick around long. Hopefully. I dont know if they are renting or not. The house was for sale, but we have alot of landlords around here that buy properties for rentals so its a possibility.

Ok. He talked to the guys (who were very drunk when he was there :glare:) and they said they were just playing around with the little boys and thought the boys would think it was cool. :cursing:) The guys would not let him in their house though (hmmmm... what are they hiding??) :glare: The sheriff told them he would be forwarding the info about the mountain lion (which the guys denied having) to the proper people since they would not allow the sheriff in to see. They would be getting a visit in the very near future. The sheriff said he does not believe they have a mountain lion (neither do we) but he said since they are obviously hiding something since he would not him in he will put it to an office who would be forced to report anything illegal they see. These guys opened a big can of worms.. I hope they are prepared for this. He said the guys chuckled when they heard how scared my boys were :glare: so Officer Colvard really go loud with them. :thumbup:

The sheriff did have a long talk with the boys (he almost teared up when he saw how scared they were) and told them they are just mean guys who like to be mean to kids. He told them that he did not see any mountain lions or any other animal for that fact when he was there. He gave them a plastic badge and told them that they can be junior officers (boys are VERY happy about that) they ended up hugging him and telling him thank you :001_smile:

What an awesome sheriff that came to your home! It sounds like he deserves some kind of thank you sent his way.

I am so sorry your boys had to go through something like this! :grouphug: I hope everyone is able to sleep well tonight and that you will have no more problems with your new rotten neighbors.

What an awesome sheriff that came to your home! It sounds like he deserves some kind of thank you sent his way.

QUOTE]

I do have to say we do have wonderful sheriff's here. I dont know much about the police (we do not live in city limits) but the few times we have had encounters with the sheriffs, the are very very nice :D They really are kinda like the old time small town sheriffs still. They are all older though, I hope when they retire their replacements are the same.

We had a homeschool group at the sheriffs office and they let the kids "go to jail" for a few minutes and everything :001_smile:

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Is there something legally that could be done if they keep scaring my sons like this??? I mean my poor 4 year old is in hysterics. My 6 year old has been so jumpy. Any noise and he about jumps out of his skin and gets scared asking if the mountain lion is outside. We tried explaining to them that there is no way these people have a mountain lion because people can not keep wild animals as pets, but they are still scared to death.

I would call animal control. Hey, they said that they have a mountain lion, right? Then if animal control doesn't find one, then maybe animal control could talk to your kids?

Oh, I really need to read the updates. Keep us updated. I think my kids would still be scared. :(

Edited by Lovedtodeath

... I do want to mention, though that I would NEVER let police into my home without a warrant.

:iagree:

Simply because they would not allow a law enforcement officer into their home does not mean that they are breaking the law -- unless being a dumb jerk counts.

When I had to call the police about a matter, I waited out front and spoke with them on my porch.

Ok... so the sheriff was just here. He also was concerned about the mountain lion and is paying them a visit :D He said that its not "illegal" to scare a child like this (though it did really REALLY upset him) he did say he would be more than willing to scare the people as much as legally possible about those actions and ask them how they would feel if it was there child. He said he would make sure they knew how scared my boys are because of what they said. He said if indeed there is a mountain lion in that house he would be bringing them to jail. He said he would be back after visiting with them. I will ask him to tell the boys there is no lion there when he gets back..

What? I know someone who was thrown in jail for threatening his ex-wife. Threats get people thrown in jail. What was the mountain lion going to do? That is a death threat if you ask me.

Update us when you can.

There isn't an island big enough. And why should the idiots get so much beach front? Leave them here. We should get the island - preferably a tropical one.

Oh, they wouldn't get one of the nice ones. I was thinking about one of the ones surrounded by shark infested waters, with nothing other than some cliffs, snakes, and a couple of shrubs. I suppose they have to have a fresh water source, but that's the only amenity they get. :lol:

I would call animal control. Hey, they said that they have a mountain lion, right? Then if animal control doesn't find one, then maybe animal control could talk to your kids?

Oh, I really need to read the updates. Keep us updated. I think my kids would still be scared. :(

:lol:

I'm so sorry that this has happened to your family. There is simply no excuse for it.

I do want to mention, though that I would NEVER let police into my home without a warrant.

I agree. Neither would I.

I hope the kids are able to get over the scare quickly and the idiots steer clear of them from now on.

At the same time (and I know I'm in the minority here), as far as dealing with my children...

I don't think I've have taken it as seriously. I probably would have asked them why they were fearful, and then when I heard what the neighbors said, I would have laughed good-naturedly and said, "Well, what a *silly* thing to say! And you actually *believed* them? :D " And then I'd explain why mountain lions weren't a real fear in our front yard, and then I'd laugh a little bit again. I might say that I was sorry they'd been scared, but I wouldn't dwell on the fear. We might do a little bit of reading about mountain lions, 'cause knowlege is power, 'ya know! :) And then we'd move on with changing the subject to something else. After that, I'd issue a gentle reminder if the kids began to dwell on the mountain lion thing. At ages 4 and 6, if the fear continued, I might fill up a spray bottle with "lion repellent spray" for them to take outside with them when they go out to play, but I definitely wouldn't spend too much time on the fear, or discuss it excessively.

I would, however, spend a *lot* of time on watching the drunken bonehead neighbors though! :glare: Sorry you have to deal with them. :grouphug:

I do want to mention, though that I would NEVER let police into my home without a warrant.

:iagree: So not happening here. I would be happy to point out my Culpepper and Gadsten to the police and I am a law abiding citizen with nothing to hide.

Or course, that doesn't make the neighbors any less of jerks and it doesn't break my heart that the police came out to talk to them. Hopefully, it will do some good and there will be no backlash.

As to what is wrong with people, I honestly believe that a great deal of the population can not handle the stress of living in modern civilization especially under the stresses we currently have. They just short circuit.

Ok... so the sheriff was just here. He also was concerned about the mountain lion and is paying them a visit :D He said that its not "illegal" to scare a child like this (though it did really REALLY upset him) he did say he would be more than willing to scare the people as much as legally possible about those actions and ask them how they would feel if it was there child. He said he would make sure they knew how scared my boys are because of what they said. He said if indeed there is a mountain lion in that house he would be bringing them to jail. He said he would be back after visiting with them. I will ask him to tell the boys there is no lion there when he gets back..

Wow!! A sheriff came? That's amazing. I can't wait to hear what he says when he comes back. :)

I hope the mountain lion didn't eat the sheriff. :eek:

Cat

He has a gun. Sheriff with gun trumps mountain lion with teeth. :D hehe

Ok. He talked to the guys (who were very drunk when he was there and they said they were just playing around with the little boys and thought the boys would think it was cool. The guys would not let him in their house though (hmmmm... what are they hiding??) The sheriff told them he would be forwarding the info about the mountain lion (which the guys denied having) to the proper people since they would not allow the sheriff in to see. They would be getting a visit in the very near future. The sheriff said he does not believe they have a mountain lion (neither do we) but he said since they are obviously hiding something since he would not him in he will put it to an office who would be forced to report anything illegal they see. These guys opened a big can of worms.. I hope they are prepared for this. He said the guys chuckled when they heard how scared my boys were so Officer Colvard really go loud with them. :thumbup:

The sheriff did have a long talk with the boys (he almost teared up when he saw how scared they were) and told them they are just mean guys who like to be mean to kids. He told them that he did not see any mountain lions or any other animal for that fact when he was there. He gave them a plastic badge and told them that they can be junior officers (boys are VERY happy about that) they ended up hugging him and telling him thank you

Now I have to attempt to put my boys to bed...

Wow! That is amazing. He gets my vote for coolest sheriff ever! And he brought badges for the boys. How incredibly thoughtful. :)

Oh goodie. With the day I had, I was looking for someone to clobber. I'll just take out my craptastic day on your dumbdonkey neighbors!

Scaring little kids like that. What a bunch of donkey clowns!

Awww sweetie, I'm sorry you had such a "craptastic" day, but I have to say, your way of putting it is hilarious! :lol: Indeed what a bunch of "donkey clowns". :D

Edited by Ibbygirl

At the same time (and I know I'm in the minority here), as far as dealing with my children...

I don't think I've have taken it as seriously. I probably would have asked them why they were fearful, and then when I heard what the neighbors said, I would have laughed good-naturedly and said, "Well, what a *silly* thing to say! And you actually *believed* them? :D " And then I'd explain why mountain lions weren't a real fear in our front yard, and then I'd laugh a little bit again. I might say that I was sorry they'd been scared, but I wouldn't dwell on the fear. We might do a little bit of reading about mountain lions, 'cause knowlege is power, 'ya know! :) And then we'd move on with changing the subject to something else. After that, I'd issue a gentle reminder if the kids began to dwell on the mountain lion thing. At ages 4 and 6, if the fear continued, I might fill up a spray bottle with "lion repellent spray" for them to take outside with them when they go out to play, but I definitely wouldn't spend too much time on the fear, or discuss it excessively.

I would, however, spend a *lot* of time on watching the drunken bonehead neighbors though! :glare: Sorry you have to deal with them. :grouphug:

You have to understand that where the original poster lives mountain lions ARE a real fear in your front yard. We do not live tear-ably far from them and they have hunting season on Mt. Lions every year to help keep the population down. It is not unusual for one to be seen in town in some of the areas close. Sooooo the children's fear for their ages really was not unreasonable.:001_smile:

You have to understand that where the original poster lives mountain lions ARE a real fear in your front yard. We do not live tear-ably far from them and they have hunting season on Mt. Lions every year to help keep the population down. It is not unusual for one to be seen in town in some of the areas close. Sooooo the children's fear for their ages really was not unreasonable.:001_smile:

Yep. I also live in an area where mountain lions in my yard are a possibility. My boys have to take the dog out when they go outside, and come in if they see or hear anything suspicious. We regularly have coyote packs come up to our back fence, but have also had bears and mountain lions within a stones throw of our home. And I'm in the city limits! My younger guys would definitely be jumpy if they thought drunk neighbor guys might be serious!

Yikes! I thought it was bad enough assuming that it was simply the guys' (probably idle) threat that frightened them!

I am not defending the d!ckh3ads for scaring your boys but I wouldn't have let the police in either.

I am law-abiding. I am doing nothing illegal in my house. The police have NO RIGHT to come in here.

When the lying liar who lies (next door neighbor) called the police about our tree situation, the officer asked if he could come in our house to talk to me about it. I said no.

JMHO

*This* is why I love you!

ETA: Still love Julie but I didn't realize there really are mountain lions where she lives. I know it's wy-kid-wrangler but I didn't know where in wy or if it really meant Wyoming or if she even still lived there...

Edited by unsinkable

I think the cop was picking up certain vibes from the guys that there was more going on in the house. Sometimes you can even smell certain things (pot) or tell that the people are using, not just drunk, but can't enter without permission or a warrant. I don't think this cop was saying this just because he wasn't let into the house.

Ah! And here I spent my life doing nothing but moving from place to place and house to house.

My parents were both military brats. My dad was a Marine, but after my brother came along they wanted to settle. So, they moved to Northern VA for about seven years (two different houses) and then Dad wanted waterfront, so they moved here (I was in 2nd grade, they're still there). I've lived in four houses, and a handleful of temporary shelterish type places when hurricane Isabelle came through and ate our house.

What is the longest you were in one house continuously? 4 years for me.

11 years in my parents' house... Dh and I have had this as our permanent residence for almost 12 years now, but like I said to MommaDuck, we had hurricane issues so we haven't been here the whole time.

:D Glad it worked out.

I think the cop was picking up certain vibes from the guys that there was more going on in the house. Sometimes you can even smell certain things (pot) or tell that the people are using, not just drunk, but can't enter without permission or a warrant. I don't think this cop was saying this just because he wasn't let into the house.

So if he smelled pot, he couldn't enter? That seems strange.

Aw, I am so sorry this happened to your kiddos! We had some issues with our last neighbor, threatening me, police were involved - not fun.

When I had to call the police about a matter, I waited out front and spoke with them on my porch.

I recently had a cop out here and my goodness, he would not come near me or the front door. I guess I understand that it's probably protocol, but when I read about how nice your sheriff was, I really wish that we lived in simpler times. So glad you had such a nice guy come out. :grouphug: to your kiddos!

I don't think so. Not certain. Again, he could've smelled nothing, but either suspected they were using or were hiding something simply based on behaviour. You can't enter just for that.

Most cops I know, don't even attempt entry (don't ask) unless they suspect something.

Yes, he would have at that point (the smelling of pot) been able to arrest them for possession or whichever drug charge applies. LE does not need a warrant or permission to enter if the evidence is "in plain view." The very distinctive odor of pot would be considered in plain view the same way the joint laying on the floor in the doorway is in plain view.

Simply because they would not allow a law enforcement officer into their home does not mean that they are breaking the law -- unless being a dumb jerk counts.

I have a feeling the sheriff knew more than he told me by the way he was talking. I thnk there was more going on....

Oh goodie. With the day I had, I was looking for someone to clobber. I'll just take out my craptastic day on your dumbdonkey neighbors!

Scaring little kids like that. What a bunch of donkey clowns!

:lol:

This is exactly it. Last year about 1/4 of a mile from here 12 dogs disappeared and they saw mountain lion tracks. They are certain that is what happened.

Another poster posted about coyotes, we hear then every night howling. THAT took us a long time to get used to when we moved here.

Maybe that's why my perception is a bit different. I grew up in the more rural hills of southern California. We did often see mountain lions, and did fairly often have to protect young livestock from them. We were cautioned as small children not to leave the yard and run around in the brush. Still, the idea of neighbors keeping one inside their house as a pet without letting it outside where we'd have seen it would have been dismissed as not-very-realistic. I'm not saying the kids shouldn't have been scared or worried, just that sometimes kids base their fears partly on our reactions, and sometimes it's helpful, imo, to keep the fears low-key if possible. The chances that the mountain lion is real are still very slim.

Still stinks about the idiot neighbors though. :cursing: I think I'd probably call animal control and insist that someone check to see if the neighbor's claims are true, but I wouldn't let the kids hear me do it! :001_smile:

The sheriff sounds very nice, I hope his visit stops any more mean "jokes" from the the neighbors.

Reminds me that I can't wait to move out in the middle of nowhere :) I'm so sick of dealing with neighbors. We've been here 6.5 years and I am ready to leave.

You could try calling the non emergency police number and ask them about it. Maybe they would consider it harassment? I don't know otherwise.

I would call the police. Threatening bodily harm to children has got to be criminal offense.

And if that doesn't work, I'd place a very cd player in my window facing their house playing Sesame Street at just below the legal decible limit.

I'm berry berry sure they would be berry berry happy to hear Strawberry Shortcake :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: indeed!!!!

I have to say, i'm only an intermittent visitor to the boards, but i've been following this thread closely!!!! what nasty donkey clowns!

I was reading up on our state constitution and various laws not to long ago and was surprised to discover that smelling pot outside a residence is not probable cause to enter the home or even to seek a warrant to enter the home in my state.

Oh wow! What a terrible situation but what a wonderful sheriff. That's a great update and I'm so glad you followed through by calling someone. I'm even more glad someone actually listened to you and heard you.

This is assault in most states:

"At Common Law, an intentional act by one person that creates an apprehension in another of an imminent harmful or offensive contact.

An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm. It is both a crime and a tort and, therefore, may result in either criminal or civil liability. Generally, the common law definition is the same in criminal and Tort Law. There is, however, an additional Criminal Law category of assault consisting of an attempted but unsuccessful Battery.

Statutory definitions of assault in the various jurisdictions throughout the United States are not substantially different from the common-law definition."

Your poor boys! Mine would have been absolutely terrified as well (even my one who's not afraid of much). I can't believe those neighbors -- UGH! Who thinks that kind of thing is funny?!?!

However, your sheriff is wonderful! So glad he took it seriously and was able to speak with your boys. If they are still scared, I'd probably call animal control and have them look around the place and then reassure your sons that there is no mountain lion.

Definitely hiding something.... their brains must be buried under the floor boards.

Glad that the sheriff was able to be so helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by AnitaMcC