Menu

Mapping the World with Art

Ginevra

I have not used it extensively yet, but I printed off the free chapters and started using those. We mostly used the maps-not all the other stuff. Have you seen the YouTube videos where she demonstrates how to draw the different maps? It's kind of fun to see.

I really want to buy this program. We done a few of the maps and I'd like to continue and tie more in as we go along in history.

Well it's on my list to buy for this year --- for me! (Of course, DC will use it when they are older.) And I love her youtube videos, that was what made me decide to buy the program. Some things I have to see - reading isn't enough.

Amy

It looks really good, but I'm trying hard to buckle down and hit my priorities, and as much as I want to do it all, I'm not sure I can or want to devote so much time and money to map drawing at the expense of something else.

I've been trying to fit in more time for life skills and music and art. They soothe me and increase the quality of my life. I've been working on a mission statement for myself, and trying to seek balance and health (both mental and physical).

Maybe I'll end out buying the curriculum, but I think I'm going to buy myself some beeswax block crayons and a Waldorf DVD on how to use them instead.

And then maybe...in a couple months if I've made enough progress with my other studies, maybe I'll give in and buy it, and draw maps with the beeswax crayons :-) It does look awfully good! It's so hard not to buy it all!

Wow....this looks great! I'm always amazed at how many things I've never heard of before; I'm so grateful for this board to always be learning something new. The Elements book she has also looks wonderful. Her free downloads look great, and the free links to games too (did you see the owl pellet dissection link??). Thanks so much for posting about this! :thumbup:

Love it, love it, love it!

There are three parts: the history, the projects, and the mapping. The real star is the mapping. You can watch the videos and/or refer to the step-by-step drawings in the book. I think *even*if* you ignore the first two parts of the program, the mapping is *well* worth the cost of the whole.

If you use it as written, you'll read a history chapter (2-4 pages about the history of attempts to map the known world, starting in ancient times), then do some projects (often relating to gaining a better understanding of the math or science involved in mapping) and practice the associated mapping. The history and math/science really are probably best for the stated grades of 5th+ -- but in a home school environment, younger children could certainly gain from participating along with older ones, and younger children (with reasonably decent drawing skills and good attention) can do the mapping.

Some people I know just do the mapping lessons, pulling up appropriate ones to match other history or lit that their kids are studying.