Menu

Need cloth diaper help!

(nak)

DS is over 9lbs (don't know exact) but has chicken legs. I have a bunch of BG one-size dipes that just don't fit right yet. In the meantime, I'm using fitteds I made myself, but I only have enough to cover about 75% of our need, and no spare time to make more. I'm filling in w/prefolds, but ds is a wiggler/kicker, so it's a real pain.

I'm not about to drop a wad of cash on nb sized dipes at this point, so I'm hoping to get some recommendations for OS fitteds, pockets, or maybe even AIOs that might stay snug on these toothpicks!

Used both with great results for a skinny one. :)

Yes, they are my two favorite covers. Followed by Green Earth (do they even make them anymore?) and mother-ease airflow.

They all work well on the skinny legs, and still work well when they chunk up!

Love itty bitty baby diaper bums. :001_wub:

Edited by blakereese
punctuation

Yes, they are my two favorite covers. Followed by Green Earth (do they even make them anymore?) and mother-ease airflow.

They all work well on the skinny legs, and still work well when they chunk up!

Love itty bitty baby diaper bums. :001_wub:

LOVED my great earth ones! I don't think they do. :(

I second Proraps...

I've always used prefolds with Proraps. I'm lazy and have never figured out how to fold the prefolds so they wrap around. I just do the trifold and lay them in the cover. The elastic in the Proraps makes it easy to get them as tight as you need. Plus they're pretty inexpensive.

I spent a wad of $$ on BG's for DS2. We had 36 brand new and they NEVER worked on him!!!!!! We ended up swapping over to old-style fuzzibunz and loved them for most of his cd'ing experience. When dd was born FBs had changed to the "new style" which just did not work for us! I ended up spending about $100 on ebay for the coolababy OS diapers and that's all we have used since. They work better than anything we've ever tried and were half the price! I do advise using an additional hemp insert if you decide to get some--We use the MF soaker they came with + one GMD hemp doubler.

HTH! :D

I spent a wad of $$ on BG's for DS2. We had 36 brand new and they NEVER worked on him!!!!!! We ended up swapping over to old-style fuzzibunz and loved them for most of his cd'ing experience. When dd was born FBs had changed to the "new style" which just did not work for us! I ended up spending about $100 on ebay for the coolababy OS diapers and that's all we have used since. They work better than anything we've ever tried and were half the price! I do advise using an additional hemp insert if you decide to get some--We use the MF soaker they came with + one GMD hemp doubler.

HTH! :D

Isn't it weird how somethings work great for some people and bomb for others?

Kinda like curriculum I guess. :D

Yes, we are making due with prefolds, but I just don't like doing so. He's constantly kicking and crossing his legs, so it's a race to get a cover on before it all bunches up. :glare:

I didn't start using cloth on #4 until he was a few weeks older than #5 is right now, so I didn't go through this stage before. I started earlier with this one b/c disposables have gotten even ickier than they were 3 years ago! Otherwise I'd use those while waiting for him to fill out!

All I'll say is that I've diapered six and am currently diapering the seventh and am preparing to diaper the eighth in cloth.

Please don't buy AIO or pockets. Multitudes of issues and dislikes about them. :glare: I understand the positive reviews I do... A mama buys them for the first child she cloth diapers, loves them, swoons, writes a review.

But six months later when the waterproofness is losing it's way, or when it smells because of the synthetic fabric, or when they wear out before the second child (I've had prefitteds last three and prefolds last four kids) or the elastic springs, or....... Yada Yada.

Buy OS, natural fibers. Buy prefitteds. Buy more prefolds. Love the prowraps. Whatever. But I beg of you, stay away from the $20 AIOs.

All I'll say is that I've diapered six and am currently diapering the seventh and am preparing to diaper the eighth in cloth.

Please don't buy AIO or pockets. Multitudes of issues and dislikes about them. :glare: I understand the positive reviews I do... A mama buys them for the first child she cloth diapers, loves them, swoons, writes a review.

But six months later when the waterproofness is losing it's way, or when it smells because of the synthetic fabric, or when they wear out before the second child (I've had prefitteds last three and prefolds last four kids) or the elastic springs, or....... Yada Yada.

Buy OS, natural fibers. Buy prefitteds. Buy more prefolds. Love the prowraps. Whatever. But I beg of you, stay away from the $20 AIOs.

She has a great point!!! I do love my prefolds (always have!) and woolies (love to knit!) but I dig the coolababies a LOT. They just work so well with jeans and other non cd-friendly clothes. I thought she was just asking for good pocket recommendations and wanted to let her know about the coolas because they are SO much cheaper than any other OS I know of--and they WORK. It really makes me mad to know I paid $24+/diaper for each of those first BGOS I bought for Caleb--when I got 18 coolas brand new for less than $100!!!

What we use on a daily basis:

MEOS--love these on my toddler, coverless or with woolies

Prefolds--don't use them as much as I used to because my old thirsties prefolds are getting ragged, but I do love them in a pinch and will put them on for kicks sometimes! :) Seriously loved my prefolds with Caleb--with loveybums covers because he couldn't wear much wool--he was sensitive for whatever reason?!! I think I just wasn't using very good wool because he can wear Julie's purewool longies at night with no issue now!

Coolababy Pockets--our go to diaper, especially for out and nana's house.

And nasty assty pull-ups for nights!!! :tongue_smilie:My little indulgence. ;) I never used them before a couple months ago but MAN they are so much easier for nights than 85 layers of cloth!!!!!

We also have a few goodmamas but they're getting TIGHT on the 32lber! :001_huh:

For covers I really love longies (although realistically we can't wear them except fall/winter/spring ~ so like 4 months out of the year! :tongue_smilie:) but we also use some fleece (love--easy peasy & clean up great)

Ok, I'm done talkin' cloth on the homeschooling board!!! :D

I had good success with Proraps (though I switched to wool, so it's been a few years since I used the Proraps). If he's very wiggly, you can tri-fold the prefolds and lay them in the cover, then make a big stack of that setup, so all you have to do is clean him off and put the whole thing on in one step, just like you would a disposable. Also, Bummis makes a nice little panty-style cover that is very inexpensive -- you put the prefold on with pins or a Snappi clip, and then put the cover on over it, just like you'd put on underwear. No fastener needed on the cover.

What we use on a daily basis:

MEOS--love these on my toddler, coverless or with woolies

Prefolds--don't use them as much as I used to because my old thirsties prefolds are getting ragged, but I do love them in a pinch and will put them on for kicks sometimes! :) Seriously loved my prefolds with Caleb--with loveybums covers because he couldn't wear much wool--he was sensitive for whatever reason?!! I think I just wasn't using very good wool because he can wear Julie's purewool longies at night with no issue now!

We also have a few goodmamas but they're getting TIGHT on the 32lber! :001_huh:

For covers I really love longies (although realistically we can't wear them except fall/winter/spring ~ so like 4 months out of the year! :tongue_smilie:)

Ok, I'm done talkin' cloth on the homeschooling board!!! :D

And to add to all that (SWOON) wool. :)

If you want something fitted and inexpensive check out prefitteds.

Prefitted Gallery

Her store is inactive but she is "todzwife" at diaperswappers and can be contacted there. She turns prefolds into fitteds for a few dollars a piece. They aren't one size and they do have elastic, but if you're looking for something that will last longer than an AIO or a pocket and be natural materials and inexpensive and cute to boot - these are the ones.

It's the COVER that matters, not the diaper because after all, you SEE the cover and the cover is what keeps it all in.

You can get wool to be made into a fitted wrap - like the prowraps. You can get wool interlock soakers - even embellished like Wild Child Woollies. You can get knitted or felted soakers, shorties, longies, and skirties... For whatever your weather is.

Happy sigh.

I love wool.

I love wool.

I WANT to love wool. There are lots of wool allergies in our family, so I've always been too nervous to try.

So I guess I'm pretty much stuck filling in with prefolds, eh? I have adequate covers on hand (Proraps, a Thirsties Duo, and a LiteWrap... the Econobums are still too big in the legs), so we're good to go there.

I do have to disagree about falling out of love with pockets though! I used a few BGs with #4 for a good 18 months and then loaned them to my sister for about 6 months, and we haven't had any un-fixable issues.

I did have trouble with the Thirsties "pocket" (which was really more of an AIO *with* a pocket) and Swaddlebees (same), but I still absolutely love TRUE pockets that don't have sewn in soakers!