Menu

Ohio Curriculum Requirements?

We don't have to report for DS' kindy year, since he will be under 6. But for the next year, Ohio requires that you include assurance that the student is receiving instruction in all of the following areas:

(a) language, reading, spelling and writing

(b) geography, history of the United States and Ohio; and national, state and local government;

© mathematics;

(d) science;

(e) health;

(f) physical education;

(g) fine arts, including music; and

(h) first aid, safety, and fire prevention.

This seems like an intensive list. I've looked at other states, and this seems like a lot-- I'm sure we didn't cover each of these subjects every year when I was in school... which wasn't that long ago. (Less than a decade!) Do I have to cover all of this EVERY year, or is this what the summation of their education over time has to include?

We don't have to report for DS' kindy year, since he will be under 6. But for the next year, Ohio requires that you include assurance that the student is receiving instruction in all of the following areas:

(a) language, reading, spelling and writing

(b) geography, history of the United States and Ohio; and national, state and local government;

© mathematics;

(d) science;

(e) health;

(f) physical education;

(g) fine arts, including music; and

(h) first aid, safety, and fire prevention.

This seems like an intensive list. I've looked at other states, and this seems like a lot-- I'm sure we didn't cover each of these subjects every year when I was in school... which wasn't that long ago. (Less than a decade!) Do I have to cover all of this EVERY year, or is this what the summation of their education over time has to include?

No, you don't have to cover it all every year. For instance, Ohio History is typically a 4th grade subject. Government is also for a higher level.

The rest should probably be covered yearly. It really doesn't have to be much. For First grade safety I just checked out a few books from the library about home safety, playground safety, and that kind of thing.

First grade geography is about learning the cardinal directions and a compass rose. Very basic.

For United Sates History in First grade we learned about the various Native American tribes living throughout the country. Children that age seem to really enjoy that.

Don't be intimidated by the list.

When I first read that list, my kids had been going to public school, and they certainly weren't getting all of that at school! I don't think my older ds did any science at all in K or 1st grade. Or history for that matter. I really don't know what they did except read some printed out stories and do Everyday Math.

I just listed basic stuff in my curriculum list when I submitted it. I actually use a lot more stuff than I listed to the school superintendent. You just have to say that you will cover all those areas. I wouldn't worry too much about it.