Menu

Getting Older Kids Together

If you have older kids...say ages 9 and up...what would you and they be interested in doing with other homeschoolers? I'm looking for some ideas that I can suggest to local homeschoolers in hopes of getting the older kids together until the weather is nice enough to do park days.

We tried book club, but movie club had more interest.

See an approved movie and retreat to someone's home for snacks and discussion. Perhaps some might be willing to actually read a book and stay after and talk about it.

Our home school group had a running group of all ages. That was fun. We met at a park and some of the older teens lead the younger kids. There was a teen running group, with this group besides the teen leaders. We're in Florida so we also have a beach group.

The same group above meets at a church once a month for game night.

If you have older kids...say ages 9 and up...what would you and they be interested in doing with other homeschoolers? I'm looking for some ideas that I can suggest to local homeschoolers in hopes of getting the older kids together until the weather is nice enough to do park days.

I had a group of hsing friends over today, and they made cornstarch dough. The older children cooked it up in a pot after they all added ingredients. The each used what ever colors they wanted after that to knead individual pieces. I was visting with the parents in the living room, and didn't do anything. That's nice. I did do the final kitchen clean-up. ;) Of course. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

I had a group of hsing friends over today ages 3, 7,7, 9, 11, 11, 12, and they made cornstarch dough. The older children cooked it up in a pot after they all added ingredients. The each used what ever colors they wanted after that to knead individual pieces. I was visting with the parents in the living room, and didn't do anything. That's nice. I did do the final kitchen clean-up. ;) Of course. ;)

Recipe? :)

My ds10 would love to have other older kids that he can ride bikes with, play basketball with, learn to play tennis with, play board games with, play frisbee with...

Indoors he loves roller skating, bowling, swimming (check the local Y for free or cheap family swim times), video games, art classes...

I'm going to try organizing a readers' theater for the next school year. We're going to try to get 6 kids together here at our house every other week for theater, lunch and "hang-out" time. I hope it works. Our hs group has park days which seem to be a bunch of kindergarteners any more. Which is great, except my daughter is 10.

Let me know if you hit on something great!

Ice Skating (indoor rink)

Bowling

Movie

Service Project for maybe an elderly community (baking tons of cookies or whatnot and taking to them)