Menu

Ever been completely blind about something that should be obvious??

Ds6 has been struggling with writing. Can not do it on the handwriting sheets I have for him. Could.not.do.it So I print off more sheets and have more struggles trying to teach him to write. Meanwhile my nice new white board was gathering dust :001_huh: So dh (who can be brilliant at times ;)) Suggests as we were talking last night in bed that we have him write his letters on the white board. Write them bigger until he gets correct form. :w00t: WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT??? DUH! Ds is writing his S's very well (considering) on the white board. I think I am going to stick with him writing on the white board this year then go to his worksheets next year in first. Has anybody done that? How has that worked for you?

I use the white board and a box of sand a lot. In his phonics work I start with tiles (got a scrabble game?), then work in sand, then with the white board and on the last day of the week, when he has practiced the words in all the other forms I get out the pencil and lined paper.

When he was focused just on letter I also had him make letters with Playdoh once a week.

BTW he is 8 and 2nd grade now.

Heather

The white board has less resistance than paper and pencil. Plus it has the fun factor!

And no lines to stay in. :D

I was going to add you can use Kumon workbooks to work in fine motor skills. My ds needed work on folding, tracing, cutting, and those are nifty little workbooks. He still isn't where he should be, but he has come a long way and can function normally in most settings. Just not with lined school paper.

I use the white board and a box of sand a lot. In his phonics work I start with tiles (got a scrabble game?), then work in sand, then with the white board and on the last day of the week, when he has practiced the words in all the other forms I get out the pencil and lined paper.

When he was focused just on letter I also had him make letters with Playdoh once a week.

BTW he is 8 and 2nd grade now.

Heather

Oh I like that. So let me think on here- Monday I could do his textured letters, tuesday have him write his letter of the week in the carpet, then Wednesday in the saltbox we have (we have a salt box not sand LOL) then Thursday the White board then friday on paper. Im going to try that next week. Thank you :D

Oh I like that. So let me think on here- Monday I could do his textured letters, tuesday have him write his letter of the week in the carpet, then Wednesday in the saltbox we have (we have a salt box not sand LOL) then Thursday the White board then friday on paper. Im going to try that next week. Thank you :D

Sounds good to me. We are probably using the same box from the same person, I just put sand in it, LOL!

Heather

HWT uses chalkboards for a similar effect. They have the teacher write the letter on the chalkboard and then the student goes over it with a damp bit of sponge to get the letter shape and then the child practices with chalk. The initial capital letters (HWT introduces letters by their shape, not in alphabetical order) take up the whole chalkboard.

While it's not the prettiest writing, we use it at home because it's what Thing 1's OT was using when he was going to therapy.

I got some great white boards from Staples...one side has really big ruled lines with dashed middle line and the back has no lines. They are 8 1/2 by 11" so they fit right in their workboxes. I use these for teaching, math with my little guy, penmanship, spelling quizzes etc. Love them!

Faithe

With my daughter I would have her "walk the letters." I'd put a big masking tape version of the letter we were working with on our wood floor. Then she would have to walk the letter the way that you would write it (walk the circle first, then the stick down). I would leave it on the floor all week so she could practice whenever she wanted.

It actually became a game....I'd yell, "Go walk the letter!" and she'd go walk it. Then a few minutes later she'd yell, "Go walk the letter!" and I'd have to go walk it. We agreed on three times each throughout the day or she would have had me walking that letter all day long!!!!