Menu

MCT question....

ShutterBug

Hi all :)

Ds (8) is in 3rd grade and we're currently using WWE 3 for our primary writing curriculum. I recently supplemented in Paragraph Town for some extra paragraph practice as well.

We're also using Growing With Grammar for grammar and are just about finished with level 3 (about a month away from finishing).

I do like GWG and had figured that we'd just move onto level 4 when we finished up level 3, but now I'm thinking that I might give Grammar Town a try for the rest of the year and see whether we'd like to continue on with GWG or MCT grammar in the fall.

So my question is this. How interconnected are Paragraph Town and Grammar Town? Should I hold of on continuing Paragraph Town for a month or so until we start Grammar Town and then start over with Paragraph Town (we're only on Lesson 3) so that they synch up or doesn't it really matter.

Also, how essential is "Practice Town"?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice you can offer!!!!

~Jenn

Ds (8) is in 3rd grade and we're currently using WWE 3 for our primary writing curriculum. I recently supplemented in Paragraph Town for some extra paragraph practice as well.

We're also using Growing With Grammar for grammar and are just about finished with level 3 (about a month away from finishing).

I do like GWG and had figured that we'd just move onto level 4 when we finished up level 3, but now I'm thinking that I might give Grammar Town a try for the rest of the year and see whether we'd like to continue on with GWG or MCT grammar in the fall.

I wouldn't put a 3rd grader in Town level. I have a very advanced younger child, and at the end of her third grade I used Grammar Island and Practice Island to get her up to speed on 4-level analysis. She began Town level in October of 4th grade, after she finished the 100 sentences of Practice Island.

I purchased the complete Town level, and she is doing fine in it. I find that Paragraph Town expands on Grammar Town, especially in the teacher notes after you hit lesson 5 or so. The assignments really kick up and it would be quite demanding for a 3rd grader. All in all, I think Paragraph Town is a very important part of the program and I wouldn't skip it.

MCT has a schedule for how to implement the program. If I can rustle it up, I will edit this post and link it for you. The bottom line is that you go through Grammar Town and then begin Practice Town, adding in Paragraph Town as well. I have found it very helpful to use the program as written.

ETA:

Read Michael Thompson's recommendations for how and when to introduce the parts of the curriculum

Elementary Curriculum Guide | Secondary Curriculum Guide (PDF downloads)

Edited by Susan in KY

So my question is this. How interconnected are Paragraph Town and Grammar Town? Should I hold of on continuing Paragraph Town for a month or so until we start Grammar Town and then start over with Paragraph Town (we're only on Lesson 3) so that they synch up or doesn't it really matter.

Also, how essential is "Practice Town"?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice you can offer!!!!

~Jenn

I think Practice Town is essential, especially for a younger kid. It's were all the grammar concepts are cemented and sometimes they are asked to apply their knowledge to something they haven't been taught before.

Also, if you're using Caesar's English, then those words and stems appear in Practice Town - again, more reinforcement.

Grammar Town is an introduction to the grammar topics but those are expanded upon in Paragraph Town. I wouldn't do just the Grammar. Also, the grammar is the EASIEST part of the curriculum. I would place the child according to his writing abilities. I suppose you can adjust your level of expectation for paragraphs and essays and still use Paragraph Town and then redo it in a year or so, repeating the exercises and expecting more quality work.

The sequence is to do Grammar Town first, once you're finished w/ it in about 8-10weeks, you start Paragraph Town, Practice Town, Poetry and CE1.

Thank you :)

I don't think I made myself clear though...I want to use BOTH Paragraph Town and Grammar Town, but I wasn't sure how they are meant to be used.

This is what I am trying to figure out. Would you suggest....

A) They are to be used in synch (start and finish them at the same time)?

B) One should be completed before beginning the other?

C) It doesn't really matter.

We've already started Paragraph Town and have just now decided to add Grammar Town...but if they are meant to be used in synch or one should follow the other then I'll gladly use them in the recommended order.

Thanks again!

I think Practice Town is essential, especially for a younger kid. It's were all the grammar concepts are cemented and sometimes they are asked to apply their knowledge to something they haven't been taught before.

The sequence is to do Grammar Town first, once you're finished w/ it in about 8-10weeks, you start Paragraph Town, Practice Town, Poetry and CE1.

Thank you, thank you! This is what I needed to know :) .

I'm thinking we'll wrap up GWB 3 and then begin Grammar Town. I'll put Paragraph Town on hold until we finish Grammar Town, and then move on to Practice Town after Paragraph Town is completed.

Thanks again!

Jenn