Menu

Fun toddler/preschool activity

mommyagain

I tried something new with my little guys (3 and 2) today and it turned out to be great fun. I gave them each a block of styrofoam (saved from packaging material) a wooden hammer and some wooden golf tees. I showed them how to hammer the tees into the styrofoam like nails. They absoulutely LOVED it! I have never seen such deep concentration from either of them before. It held their attention easily for an hour - unprecedented for a single activity!!!

I'll definitely be giving this activity to Daddy to keep them occupied while I teach the biggers!

note- must be supervised! Those golf tees are sharp (take it from someone who was poked by an angry 3yo when he didn't want to hear "no"!):)

That's so funny, I just did this with the little one I babysit!

I cut off a piece of the styrofoam to make the base more stable. We are going to use that piece next time for a white sculpture. I'm collecting "things that are white"--screw tops, q-tips, tab from the bread, fake egg, etc. to glue onto the styrofoam. Tons of fun!

Oh, and hammering into an old tree stump or a pumpkin is also lots of fun! Use unglavanized, short nails with large heads (ungal goes in easier). Great for eye-hand coordination.

That's so funny, I just did this with the little one I babysit!

I cut off a piece of the styrofoam to make the base more stable. We are going to use that piece next time for a white sculpture. I'm collecting "things that are white"--screw tops, q-tips, tab from the bread, fake egg, etc. to glue onto the styrofoam. Tons of fun!

Oh, and hammering into an old tree stump or a pumpkin is also lots of fun! Use unglavanized, short nails with large heads (ungal goes in easier). Great for eye-hand coordination.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm always on the lookout for things to do with my VERY busy little guys (aka - Butch and Sundance)! If I don't give them something to do, they will "find" something :eek::blink:!

Guest aquiverfull

Great idea! I know I've seen something very similar in a Montessori catalog. I'm also always looking out for activities to keep my little ones busy so I can work with my oldest. Have you ever seen this site for File folder games? I've printed several of them to keep my youngest occupied. She loves the matching type games.

Other activities I've used with her are sorting and scooping beans, beads, etc. I just use two bowls, pour some dry beans in and give her a spoon or scooper, then she transfers them from one bowl to the other. Lacing activities usually keep her happy for a good while too.

Great idea! I know I've seen something very similar in a Montessori catalog. I'm also always looking out for activities to keep my little ones busy so I can work with my oldest. Have you ever seen this site for File folder games? I've printed several of them to keep my youngest occupied. She loves the matching type games.

Other activities I've used with her are sorting and scooping beans, beads, etc. I just use two bowls, pour some dry beans in and give her a spoon or scooper, then she transfers them from one bowl to the other. Lacing activities usually keep her happy for a good while too.

Hi Kelli! Thanks for the file folder link! Those will be really helpful for all my kids!

I've tried lacing with the boys but as of now they are NOT interested. I bet they will love the bean bowl activity!

Guest aquiverfull
Hi Kelli! Thanks for the file folder link! Those will be really helpful for all my kids!

I've tried lacing with the boys but as of now they are NOT interested. I bet they will love the bean bowl activity!

You're welcome!! :) I'm glad you found the file folder link helpful.

I can see where they might not like the lacing too much. My girls really aren't crazy about most of it either. They do however love lacing those counter frogs I bought from Rainbow Resource. Another thing that's a big hit with my girls is cutting activities, of course you have to watch with the scissors though or pretty soon they'll no longer be cutting just paper. :lol: